Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Bayer Leverkusen fans this week after winning the Bundesliga.

I sometimes think we've lost our spirit of football fun in this country.

I won't be on the pitch at Cambridge or Pride Park whatever the results, due to old age, but I will applaud those who want to celebrate.

As for injured footballers, they know the score and the tradition, run like hell for the tunnel!

Must admit @angieram, that took be by complete surprise... particularly the entire last line.

Drinking to excess and snorting coke is apparently becoming a tradition at away matches for some, and also apparently leads to all sorts of boisterous behavior that some would quite likely describe as "Football fun".  I have to admit, this is based on what I've read, not witnessed.

It's been "a tradition" for eons, for Forest fans to lob liquid waste and/or coinage of the realm from the upper tier to the away fans below.  Knowing this tradition, should the latter just stay away, or at the very least, stay back under the upper tier, where they are somewhat sheltered?

The fact remains, DCFC, football clubs in general, and the laws of this country dictate that pitch invasions by fans should not be tolerated, let alone be seen as football fun and consequently applauded.

So much so, DCFC have aired this, ahead of these final two matches...

Pitch incursions are dangerous and anyone who does encroach onto the playing surface will face strong sanctions that could include a ban from attending matches at Pride Park Stadium and across the country and police action.

It is a criminal offence to enter the pitch and the real-life consequences for these actions have been felt by many, with some fans receiving criminal records which can impact employment, education prospects and international travel.

It is not only yourself that can be disciplined. There could also be an impact on your family members and Derby County itself.

The club wishes to urge supporters to keep the pitch for players and the stands for spectators and avoid any unnecessary disruption at such a crucial point of the season.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/04/love-football-protect-the-game-fan-behaviour-2023-24

As an aside, I'd be interested to hear what the likes of our very own Martin Taylor would have to say on that last line.  And many more players besides, of course.

EDIT:
Apologies, this was written/posted before seeing your latest response in this thread, which admittedly was considerably less surprising to me.  🍻

Edited by Mucker1884

49 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Cambridge have another home game to play the following Tuesday, which could be critical to their survival. I doubt that they'd be happy with a pitch invasion by our fans and the risk of damage to the pitch or anything else. I don't doubt that it would lead to anything less than an inquiry by the FA/EFL and God knows what punishment.

Everyone understands that fans want to enjoy the euphoria of the moment, but I wouldn't want to give them any excuse to stick the boot into us again.

I personally would love to go onto the pitch, like after the play-off semi against Brighton, but your last line is the reason we should sit tight - the EFL don’t need any encouragement.

And in light of Mucker’s latest post, I have seen our fans tanked up on booze and weed at Barnsley and it was a horrifying and embarrassing experience, so it most definitely is a “sit tight” from me. Wacky sweets weren’t so much of an issue during Mac 1.

Edited by DavesaRam

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Imagine beating Cambridge and celebrating on the pitch, only to be deducted three points for doing so 😩

I still have a recording of the Derby-Palace promotion match where Ray Wilkins proclaims it disgusting that Derby fans had come on the pitch at the final whistle and they should look at replaying the game or punishing the club.  Jimmy Greaves then tells him to stop being a miserable barsteward in so many words.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

As of this morning Cambridge only had 360 tickets left, all in the South Habbin stand next to us.

Obviously don’t want to be out sung.😀

They should have given us a bigger allocation really.

I don’t think there’ll be a pitch invasion at Cambridge.

You can imagine though that there will be some kind of overspill if we score, especially in front of our own fans. Similar to the scenes at Port Vale.

If we go into the Carlisle game needing a result and we get one, I am 99% sure there will be a pitch invasion. 

Is it the right thing to do? Personally I think it depends on how you behave yourself. If people do it respectfully, I think it can be a joyous moment and let’s face it, these moments are few and far between.

I certainly fondly remember dancing on the pitch in the rain after Southampton at home in the play-offs singing Que Sera Que Sera.

32 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

They should have given us a bigger allocation really.

In fairness to them they have at least virtually sold out this time.

Last season they reduced the allocation but only sold a handful of tickets in the area they took from us.

anyone going a14 way do not go off at the junction derby side of Fen Ditton/Horningsea as main road into town that way (Milton Road) has been a dug up roadworks shambles forever. 

If the fen ditton route mentioned above is showing a small bit of "red" traffic on google maps just over a14 bridge into fen ditton you will be fine. If its showing red/queuing up the slip road from a14 to the roadworks and/or from the roadworks in fen ditton up to newmarket road follow SLO advice. This my route to work

Cambridge traffic is purposefully 💩at the mo as was so much uproar about planned congestion charge that it was abandoned. 

cambridge hates cars. These work well depending on plans https://www.voi.com/city/cambridge

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

anyone going a14 way do not go off at the junction derby side of Fen Ditton/Horningsea as main road into town that way (Milton Road) has been a dug up roadworks shambles forever. 

If the fen ditton route mentioned above is showing a small bit of "red" traffic on google maps just over a14 bridge into fen ditton you will be fine. If its showing red/queuing up the slip road from a14 to the roadworks and/or from the roadworks in fen ditton up to newmarket road follow SLO advice. This my route to work

Cambridge traffic is purposefully 💩at the mo as was so much uproar about planned congestion charge that it was abandoned. 

cambridge hates cars. These work well depending on plans https://www.voi.com/city/cambridge

The stow what roundabout?

I would imagine most would be stunned that they've seen the victory and not seen us miss two open goals followed by a breakaway goal by Cambridge and 60 minutes rolling round like they've been hit by a bus every 30 seconds.  The catatonic state will prevent any pitch invasion.

The design of the elevated away stand at Cambridge means it will be difficult to invade the pitch as access is via steps down.

It will be much easier to steward these points than across the width of a pitch level fronted stand like ours.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t think there’ll be a pitch invasion at Cambridge.

You can imagine though that there will be some kind of overspill if we score, especially in front of our own fans. Similar to the scenes at Port Vale.

If we go into the Carlisle game needing a result and we get one, I am 99% sure there will be a pitch invasion. 

Is it the right thing to do? Personally I think it depends on how you behave yourself. If people do it respectfully, I think it can be a joyous moment and let’s face it, these moments are few and far between.

I certainly fondly remember dancing on the pitch in the rain after Southampton at home in the play-offs singing Que Sera Que Sera.

Never, ever felt the need to run on the pitch.