Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He does however have 5 goals and 7 assists in the league this season, I’d rather have that potential threat available on the pitch to see us over the line before he does leave than not utilise it.

Houihane has 5 goals and 8 assists.

Adams and Smith have been doing just fine and have been consistent. 

4 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Houihane has 5 goals and 8 assists.

Adams and Smith have been doing just fine and have been consistent. 

They have, I’m not saying we shouldn’t use them, what I’m saying is we also shouldn’t ignore Bird (or Hourihane for that matter) if we find ourselves needing a goal and the combination of Adams and Smith isn’t working.
Why would we limit our options just because the players we currently have available won’t be here next season, whatever gets us the points to go up is all that matters to me rather than feeling slighted by someone’s future career plans. 

32 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Such as using the midfield?

More about being aware that the bounce and run of the ball is unreliable. Overplaying on a bobbly surface can be as frustrating as having cross after cross headed away by dominant defenders. Put pressure on their defenders and hope that the surface causes them more problems than it does us. It's not a day for passing around at the back. On a narrow pitch, the middle is a difficult place to play through a team, even on a flat surface. They'll regard a point as satisfactory, so I expect they'll play ala Northampton and hope to nick a goal - we have to make sure they have to work harder for one than NTFC did that day.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He does however have 5 goals and 7 assists in the league this season, I’d rather have that potential threat available on the pitch to see us over the line before he does leave than not utilise it.

Agreed and Bird has proved pretty consistently that he is fully focused on the Derby cause until he leaves and I imagine would absolutely love to be part of two big wins to close out his Derby career.

Anyone questioning his commitment to Derby is way off the mark IMO.

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm sure Max will want a promotion on his CV to cap his time at his boyhood club. 

To suggest he won't be committed to this shows no respect to him.

I just wouldn't risk him for this game, save for some minutes at the end.

He really played his heart out after the move was announced, there's no way he'd be half arsed if came on in these two games.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

More about being aware that the bounce and run of the ball is unreliable. Overplaying on a bobbly surface can be as frustrating as having cross after cross headed away by dominant defenders. Put pressure on their defenders and hope that the surface causes them more problems than it does us. It's not a day for passing around at the back. On a narrow pitch, the middle is a difficult place to play through a team, even on a flat surface. They'll regard a point as satisfactory, so I expect they'll play ala Northampton and hope to nick a goal - we have to make sure they have to work harder for one than NTFC did that day.

If we score first, we probably win.  Seems the way in these away games

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

If their defenders are dominant in the air, then get the crosses in hard and low behind the defenders, then get a nick off an attacker or a defender facing the goal.

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Typical comment from you. Thought you might be a bit quieter after the response you got to your post earlier.

Why? There are no insults of individuals here, just an observation of one of the factors that cost us dearly at Northampton.

38 minutes ago, ramit said:

The mindset will be important in this game, a positive focused approach is the way

Thinking we must not lose the game is not the way to go IMO

Eyes on the prize and working together

Seems to be the tone if Collins’ pre-match interview is anything to base it on. He seemed quietly confident, fingers crossed it translates into a strong performance on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Seems to be the tone if Collins’ pre-match interview is anything to base it on. He seemed quietly confident, fingers crossed it translates into a strong performance on Saturday.

That’s a relief 😉

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Good point. Having more than one route to goal. I don’t mind getting it wide and crossing it in if it works. But at the same time, if their defenders are winning everything in the air, trying through balls for a pacey wide men could pay dividends. The odd bobble could massively help put off the retreating defenders.