Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

3 hours ago, eddielewis said:

From a quick look of their weekend fixture vs Charlton the pitch didn't seem to be in a good condition. Nathan Jones described the pitch as 'rustic at best' and 'they haven't watered it in 8/10 years' and it didn't allow for free flowing football.

It definitely got a good watering today! 

I think this will be trickier than many seem to think after appointing Gary Monk they have steadied -still erratic but beat Wigan and Barnsley recently. And you know Derby.......

4 hours ago, littleover ram said:

Do Cambridge have any kind of footballing rivalry with Oxford?

I think they have more Cambridge-Peterborough and Oxford-Reading rivalries… happy to be corrected if I’m wrong though.

As for the game… we couldn’t beat Cambridge at home, so I have zero confidence that we can beat them away.

Same with Carlisle… they’ve already won 3-1 away at both Bolton and Peterborough… I fully expect them to do the same at PP.

I’ve been known to be wrong, of course, but… … …

Savour it relish it. And enjoy it! (Well the build up at least). Free day, no work, hungover from Friday ale so it’ll be a big build up on the sofa. 
Someone mentioned open ticket sales for this, hope there’s no bother! SSA 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Nelson   Bradley   Cashin

Wilson   Adams   Thompson   Sibley

Bird

Collins   Mendez-Laing

Subs: Vickers, Smith, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Blackett-Taylor, Waghorn, Washington 

I’d go with this but I’d put Thompson ahead of Bird so he can utilise his best attribute - his pressing.

I’d also drop Hourihane off the bench for Fornah just to stop Warne putting him on. 

Has to be tempting to go back to 433 with Barkhuizen fit again and CBT there. Wouldn’t be against that. Dropping Bradley, of course. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Bird

Collins   Mendez-Laing

Subs: Vickers, Smith, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Blackett-Taylor, Waghorn, Washington 

I don't think I'd be dropping Korey Smith anytime soon. He's playing the most effective football of his Derby career.

I'd stick with Saturday's line-up, safe in the knowledge that we have potential game changers on the bench.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Bird

Collins   Mendez-Laing

What is the thought process on dropping Smith? Very interested to know. 

Surely it can’t and won’t be the third part of the awful away day trilogy after The cobblers and Wycombe !?😳😳

i fear for the worst if I am honest. Small, bobbly, dry pitch. Cambridge scrapping for their lives …. Has all the makings..
Strange thing is that we really in many ways want Cambridge to win mid week and Port Vale to lose as that really guarantees Cambridge survival and then they would maybe be less fired up against us.

But then again we need Port Vale to go into their game with Bolton on Saturday not effectively having been already relegated and with something to fight for…..🤷

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To get Bird back in the side whilst keeping Adams and Thompson in there...

But our midfield is better than it has been all season with Adams and Smith? 
leave Bird on the bench! (Or even better in a cage) That way he can’t F it up for us. Can you imagine if he started and we got battered in midfield again.

Edited by McMuffin

7 hours ago, DB83 said:

As for the game… we couldn’t beat Cambridge at home, so I have zero confidence that we can beat them away.

Same with Carlisle… they’ve already won 3-1 away at both Bolton and Peterborough… I fully expect them to do the same at PP.

Football isn’t that straightforward though is it?

We couldn’t beat Peterborough, Oxford, Wigan and Charlton at home but we beat them all away.

Consequently, whilst I fear a draw, I don’t think there are any grounds to have “zero” confidence that we can beat them purely because we couldn’t beat them at home.

Warne pretty much admitted that Bradley‘a inclusion on Saturday was because his coach Matt H had identified a weakness Orient had from corners.

Cambridge won’t be as obliging.

I’d revert to 4-3-3

Wildsmith

Wilson      Nelson     Cashin     Sibley

Smith   Adams   Thompson   

Barkhuisen       Collins   Mendez-Laing

8 hours ago, DB83 said:

That’s the spirit ! Well done that man. 

Edited by jono

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Football isn’t that straightforward though is it?

We couldn’t beat Peterborough, Oxford, Wigan and Charlton at home but we beat them all away.

Consequently, whilst I fear a draw, I don’t think there are any grounds to have “zero” confidence that we can beat them purely because we couldn’t beat them at home.

Exactly Tamworth.

Cast your mind back to the Frank season. We lost to the Dirties three times and only beat them once (away).

Dave Mackay's championship season we lost 3-0 at Carlisle who eventually finished bottom.

Clough's Derby team were top of the league in September 1969 and subsequently lost away at Sheffield Wednesday, who were bottom.

Football has always been inexplicable at times.

56 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Dave Mackay's championship season we lost 3-0 at Carlisle who eventually finished bottom.

Clough's Derby team were top of the league in September 1969 and subsequently lost away at Sheffield Wednesday, who were bottom.

Football has always been inexplicable at times.

That loss at Sheffield Wednesday was my first away game, travelling in convoy down the M1 on Trent double decker buses.

It was the week after we had thrashed Spurs 5-0