Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

There’s nothing to be fearful about in the Championship and I can’t believe this narrative is already being pushed.

The jump in quality really isn’t that significant, outside of the usual teams we see every year that are leaning on parachute payments to keep their squads together. Even then these teams are nothing close to infallible, especially in one off games.

A third of promoted teams from League 1 in the past five years have not only gone up and consolidated their position but they have competed at the right end of the Championship table, in some cases getting promoted or mightily close.

The teams that usually go up and find their way back to League 1 are the ones without the resources or infrastructure to hold their own.

We are only going to end up like Rotherham, Wycombe, Barnsley, Blackpool, Peterborough and others if we show a serious lack of ambition financially or there is a lack of synergy and effective strategy behind the scenes.

If Clowes, Pearce, Thomas, Hale and Warne are all working well and pulling in the same direction, why is it beyond us to build a competitive squad for the Championship, one that could finish 15-18th in year one, for instance?

No-one stands still and neither will we. Everyone resets. Teams get better. Teams get worse. Managers change. Managers improve. Managers decline.

There are so many variables at play, why would we be fearful now when we can work towards a stronger position over the summer? Such needless negativity when nothing is set in stone.

34 minutes ago, Archied said:

To be honest it seems like the original point was pretty much aimed at taking the attention away from a good win that’s puts us in the box seat and diverting the match day thread into arguments over warne style and choice of players , just so predictable posting and perhaps more obvious than you realise to those who bother to read 
of course it’s not trolling 😜

The original post was that physical teams score more goals from corners and set-pieces than technical teams which was in response to a post praising our ability at set-pieces.

I don’t even know why this would trigger the volatile reaction. 

In this thread alone there are several posts with strong and personal remarks about Warne and some of the players. Far harsher than anything I write.

Yet I post something and suddenly I’m trolling, or people are quick to cry about it.

5 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

That was actually the most comfortable afternoon at Pride Park for ages. Having said that, my heart sank when I saw the team sheet, because like a bad smell, Bradley was back in. My only surprise was that Warne's other boyfriend Hourihane wasn't starting, but like Bradley of old, he was the first sub to come on! But they guy done well. But as for CBT - he is clearly a confidence player, and almost vanished after the miss on Wednesday evening, so what better way to boost his confidence than to drop him. Nice one. I hope he gets a chance to shine before the season ends.

Getting to my seat before kick-off looking at the teams out on the pitch, and I felt confident of a win today, and indeed we simply had too much for them today. It was a good performance all round, no-one messed up, no-one failed to turn up, and no-one got injured, and for the modern game, that last one is a miracle! Stand outs were Thompson, who makes such a difference in the middle of the pitch, Cashin (as always) and Sibley, who had one of his best games for a while, and the defence was pretty sound, ensuring no shots on target I believe. And a big shout out to Wilson, who continues to do amazing things with the ball.

First half though, apart from the corners, there wasn't much of a threat on goal from us, either, although we looked the most likely to score. But as the game opened up in the second half we created a lot down our right. One particular move had Sibley flicking the ball over his opponent, a three man one-touch passage and a cross, with NML putting a deft flick on the ball which went inches of the top corner. What a goal that would have been. See - we can do it! (Play football, I mean).

There were some bizarre decisions from the match officials in the first half, which I put down to League One standard refereeing, but second half they managed to lower the bar considerably, but thankfully nothing match-changing.

And finally a BIG, nay HUGE shout out to the fans- the support was superb today, with large sections of North Standers joining in with the noise - Good Onya! And the Orient fans singing "National League Champions - you'll never sing that!" - Excellent!

You wrote that bile-filled first paragraph some time after a superb win. The players you highlighted (abused) contributed 2 goals and an assist.

Not a nice look!

Good result, good performance & great to see us on the front foot from first minute. Got into them early & unsettled them, 2 early goals & never let them get back in...such a contrast to Wednesday's insipid effort. Credit to Warne for picking Thompson & having a 3 man midfield..it made a massive difference. Credit also to Sonny Bradley, I'd have happily never seen him in a Derby shirt every again but also do love a good comeback & today was exactly that. Unchanged for Cambridge please.

Had to shoot off for a gig in Manchester straight after the match & was quickly sat in a pub with a few Pompey & Bolton...thanked as many Pompey as I could find & enjoyed the Bolton reaction 🤣

Feels like we're on the cusp. Its the hope that hurts the most 😁

Gimme Hope !!!!

We can all enjoy the “Sonny” days with a smile on our faces and love our club through the good times and the bad times. The sun is arising this wonderful Sonnyday morning, the sky is alight with orange, red, purple and blue and David Clowes, Paul Warne, and all the staff, and all the players and all the fans of Derby County can take our wonderful club to wonderful places all over the world, as the Super Rams climb higher and higher than the sun !!!

😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Life - Hope 🖤 🐏

Love - Sonny Bradley 🖤 🐏

Unity - Derby County 🖤 🐏

D.C.F.C Life, Love & Unity.

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

There’s nothing to be fearful about in the Championship and I can’t believe this narrative is already being pushed.

The jump in quality really isn’t that significant, outside of the usual teams we see every year that are leaning on parachute payments to keep their squads together. Even then these teams are nothing close to infallible, especially in one off games.

A third of promoted teams from League 1 in the past five years have not only gone up and consolidated their position but they have competed at the right end of the Championship table, in some cases getting promoted or mightily close.

The teams that usually go up and find their way back to League 1 are the ones without the resources or infrastructure to hold their own.

We are only going to end up like Rotherham, Wycombe, Barnsley, Blackpool, Peterborough and others if we show a serious lack of ambition financially or there is a lack of synergy and effective strategy behind the scenes.

If Clowes, Pearce, Thomas, Hale and Warne are all working well and pulling in the same direction, why is it beyond us to build a competitive squad for the Championship, one that could finish 15-18th in year one, for instance?

No-one stands still and neither will we. Everyone resets. Teams get better. Teams get worse. Managers change. Managers improve. Managers decline.

There are so many variables at play, why would we be fearful now when we can work towards a stronger position over the summer? Such needless negativity when nothing is set in stone.

Well said @Jourdan

Can I also add, a couple of years ago, maybe more, maybe less, your posts would irritate the hell out of me and maybe others? as I found them really negative but I think this falling in love and getting married malarkey has changed your outlook on Derby County and possibly out with other things in your life.

Well done @Jourdan I like your new style and enjoy reading your posts on the forum now and as you say such needless negativity when nothing is set in stone……….

Enjoy life, we only get one shot at it.

🖤 Derby County 🖤

8 hours ago, inter politics said:

Was it Wilson or an OG?

Must admit, I was surprised to see that at HT, we'd had 1 shot on target... yet were leading 2-0!  The Beeb had it down as an OG.  I had a decent view from the NE corner, and there was no hint of an OG live, and nobody around me hinted at it.  I've yet to see any highlights though.

🤷‍♂️

EDIT:

Seen the highlights now... looks 100% Wilson to me, and his immediate reaction appears to back it up?

More interestingly, what the heck was Cashin doing as the corner came over his head... it was hardly a subtle attempt at a "Hand of God"!  I hope his handball was miss was deliberate! 🤣

Edited by Mucker1884

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The original post was that physical teams score more goals from corners and set-pieces than technical teams which was in response to a post praising our ability at set-pieces.

In this thread alone there are several posts with strong and personal remarks about Warne and some of the players. Far harsher than anything I write.

Yet I post something and suddenly I’m trolling, or people are quick to cry about it.

Yea yea ( yawn ) you then go on to say Wilson is called the buffalo because he’s just a bulldozer,,, perhaps that’s just his build ? Very early the wife and I nicknamed him twinkle toes because he has very good fast feet and excellent dribbling skills , do you actually watch games or just read stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️,

well done though , we are arguing the toss over this negative and that negative right after a fantastic day / win ,, of course you have covered this well and set the ground by posting in places that you are certain we will be promoted , leaving you free and clear to pick holes in everything 👏👏👏👏👏

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Arsenal have scored the most in the premier league this season. Big, physical Arsenal. 

Three goals from corners was misleading somewhat, just in the second half alone Sibley and NML missed 1 on 1s and Washington somehow managed to miss two good chances in injury time. 

Good performance overall. I rolled my eyes at Bradley regaining his place after his outing at Northampton and whilst I still loathe his inability to defend without wrestling, he clearly did the business in the opposition box. Luckily we were barely tested at the back. Maybe Warne had done his homework on their crossing fragility?

Felt like there was more urgency and intensity from early in the game. We were even taking throw ins quite quickly..! Novel idea given our usual penchant for taking ages and throwing it to the opposition. 

Wilson lively early, Adams everywhere, Thompson pressed well. One of Collins best games for me even without scoring. Came short and held the ball up properly. 

13 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I have no idea what you are talking about here, absolute nonsense.

I was at the game,the atmosphere was amazing....where are you sitting????

SW but previous years I’ve been in the south so perhaps that’s why. 

I’m old enough to remember 75, 86, 87, 96 and 07 though and just don’t feel this season has the same intensity somehow. Just my opinion, doesn’t mean I’m not loving it though. 😊

20 hours ago, Jase116 said:

Only my 4th game this season due to work commitments,  but we have won the other 3, grandson's 2nd game ,first was the 3-0 win against Barnsley  and in 13 years of us being together,  the wife hasn't seen us lose yet ( won them all except a draw against Swansea) so hoping we are good luck omens this afternoon. 

The nerves have already kicked in COYR 🐏🐏🐏🐏

Another great day out, fantastic result, a good and thoroughly professional performance, and back in our own hands 🐏, the wife is still unbeaten in 13/years, the grandson’s second game and 3-0 victory ( he thinks it’s like this every week 🤣🤣🤣)

only downside of the day is we brought him a rams shirt after the match , but in his wisdom he managed to drop it and lose it between the railway station and derbion centre and he’s gutted. 

anyway 2 more games 2 more wins and we are there COYR 🐏🐏🐏

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Couldn't resist, could he?

nope2.gif.436922adfa177dee84493d25b358802e.gif

17 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That lineup is a sackable offence.

17 hours ago, rammieib said:

We deserve to lose with that line up. 

We lose CBT and Washington and replaced with Bradley and Thompson.

NML is consistently awful up front centrally so where do we play him…. Up front centrally.

Jesus Christ.

17 hours ago, rammieib said:

And what a kick in the teeth for CBT. One bad game (where everyone offensively was bad) and he’s dropped.

Are people looking at that line up and genuinely excited for this game?

Also - today would have been a great day to work on the goal difference as well. Nope, scrap that.

17 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Does Bradley have compromising information on Warne or something?

16 hours ago, TheTinMan said:

Managed to keep a clean sheet midweek with little attacking threat so obviously the extra man in defence makes sense 

Wasn't going to do it but was awake early, so I thought I would compile a list of the experts from yesterday...

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wasn't going to do it but was awake early, so I thought I would compile a list of the experts from yesterday...

Did you have any opinion on the lineup before the game or, like me, didn't you check it out until the match was underway?

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Did you have any opinion on the lineup before the game or, like me, didn't you check it out until the match was underway?

Personally I prefer to judge the team after a performance rather than before it.

Don't tend to know the lineup until I get to my seat which is usually a couple of minutes before kick off.

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Apologies if my opening statement was a little deflating. I tried, rather poorly it seems, to provide a contrast with how it looked with how it turned out. However, after Wednesday night, we we stood on the threshold of making automatics secure, and not only let the door slam in our face, we slammed it in our own face. Yes, some of the players didn't turn up, but most of that failure was down to tactics, hence ethe caution. But what a turnaround. Instead of running scared of the opposition and surrendering a load of territory, we put in a most accomplished and secure performance. It wasn't Stevie Mac 1 stuff, but we had way too much for Leyton Orient and played like it. After Wednesday, who'd have thought it? 

You don't have to apologise to me, everyone is allowed their opinion and I certainly don't believe mine is any more valid than yours.

Just think it's sad to see so many of our supporters clearly not enjoying what could turn out to be one of our best seasons, for so many reasons, in the last 50 odd years.

There was a group of lads in the west stand, one of them dressed in a Derby strip (shirt, shorts and socks). I got chatting to them in the concourse at half time, turns out it was a stag do, the groom, dressed in the strip, was a Leyton Orient fan and after the match they were heading to Nottingham for a night out.

Class😀

10 hours ago, InstaRam said:

Ratings:

Raggett 7.11

Shaughnessy 7.3

Santos 7.24

Cash 7.5

Nelson 7.1

Edwards 7.1

Knight 7.2 

Bradley 6.7

Curtis Davies 6.9

But you are off course right in your conclusion that if you disregard a few games when he played poorly then it looks better. Might as well take away his games against Northampton and Reading when we are at it. That is however true for all other players as well so forgive me for having a bit of a hard time taking that argument  seriously.

I thought Bradley would be an upgrade on Curtis but for me he really is not. Money wasted so far from the club but that is my opinion. I thought he was great today and hope to see a lot more of that which was my intention to write in my post when I also labelled him Super Sonny. 

(And also I really like Keogh before the incident).

Firstly, the ratings you have provided do not suggest he is significantly weaker or prone to mistakes than the others. For example, most of us think Nelson is a contender for player of the season and yet his rating is only 0.4 above Bradley’s.

Secondly, if you read my original post you’ll see why I’ve excluded his first few games. I said, once he’d got over those early jitters and fought his way back into the team he had been OK and played well most of the time (or words to that effect). Whereas to label him as Calamity Bradley kind of suggests he has an ongoing problem. He may not be an upgrade on Davies and I don’t take exception with you holding that view. What I did take exception to though was the label you have attached to Bradley.

I wasn’t aiming the comment about Keough specifically at you but I think it’s undeniable that some folk continued to use the phrase “there’s always a mistake in Keough” simply because of that Wembley incident whereas, in reality, he probably didn’t make any more mistakes than most.

P.s. Regarding the Reading game, although it is only a tiny sample size, it seems pretty much everyone that rated the players for that game on this forum gave him a 6.5 or thereabouts.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Must admit, I was surprised to see that at HT, we'd had 1 shot on target... yet were leading 2-0!  The Beeb had it down as an OG.  I had a decent view from the NE corner, and there was no hint of an OG live, and nobody around me hinted at it.  I've yet to see any highlights though.

🤷‍♂️

EDIT:

Seen the highlights now... looks 100% Wilson to me, and his immediate reaction appears to back it up?

More interestingly, what the heck was Cashin doing as the corner came over his head... it was hardly a subtle attempt at a "Hand of God"!  I hope his handball was miss was deliberate! 🤣

I think the beeb was, and still is, unsure. Go to their results page and click on the game and you'll see the opener down as an OG. Scroll down into the match report and it says Wilson scored it.

I said pre match that matching the midweek 1st half performance but with improved shooting would see us win. We didn't match it, we bettered it and kept it up all game. 3 goals, all from set pieces, and we won at a canter in the end. The O's managed 6 shots, none of them on target meaning JW had a quiet afternoon. Great performance from the crowd too. Here's to those lucky enough to have a ticket for Cambridge make lots of noise as usual. See y'all for the Carlisle game.

It's back in our own hands. Keep calm. Keep focused. We'll be rate.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Personally I prefer to judge the team after a performance rather than before it.

Don't tend to know the lineup until I get to my seat which is usually a couple of minutes before kick off.

Totally agree.

I tend to hear the starting 11 as soon as it’s announced (really just to see if there are any injuries) but will never comment (not that I remember) on it before the game. I’m quite capable of making a fool of myself in other respects (and comments) without prejudging a team selection only to end up with egg on my face.