Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

23 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Well done on your win and putting things back in your own hands.  I thought we were fortunate at times today, for some reason our early goal seemed to send us in to our shell; Bolton have some decent footballers, who exploited that for the rest of the first half and we were lucky not to go in behind.  Second half a bit more even.

All the best for the run in - as I've said elsewhere I'm hoping we'll both end up in the automatic slots now; but I do think you're probably at the stage where you can't afford any slip ups in the last couple of games.

I've just poured a large glass of red. Enjoy your evenings, Rams.

Rather be in your position tbh but hey ho. My boy's at Pompey University so I know the place and like Derby it's a one team city so a successful team will do wonders for the area.

Enjoy your promotion lads👍

40 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Great result and warne gets to keep his job for another week 😜

thought we were faster quicker and more aggressive in our play than them.

tommo and adams were excellent… sibley and wilson who looked so bad as make shift full backs against wycombe (yep i said it roy 😉) looked much more at home with license to push on knowing they had a 3 behind them. 

glad we got the goals we did as despite all our very encouraging situations there was still a bit of lack of quality from open play in the final thrid, but hey.. clean sheet, 3 goals and weve got it all to lose again (lord help us 😂😂

I don't think the full backs were the problem against Wycombe. Giving up centre midfield and carp finishing did the job.....

29 minutes ago, jono said:

Thankyou for your usual warped agenda driven insight. (Pssst your just voicing an opinion not stating fact )

Did you by any chance see the flicks and one touches on the right touchline in the second half ? Did you see Sibs and Wilson roasting full backs ? Did you see Smith spotting outlying runners and dropping meet balls in to their path when under pressure ? Did you see Tommo and Wilson doing give and goes ? Clearly not from the drivel you just posted.

So you think we are more of a technical side under Warne than a physical one?

At League One level we simply have better players than the rest. Yet largely we still don’t dominate possession and play through teams.

That’s not a bad thing. Warne will get us promoted this season, no doubts, and he deserves credit for that.

But claiming his style of play is more technical than physical is just laughable.

16 minutes ago, jono said:

Sibs looked like Sibs Mark 1  from 2 years ago and hungry as anything. And he CAN tackle !

Interesting. First few minutes he got caught in possession, couldn’t seem to get past his man, and couldn’t shield the ball. 
I found myself sadly reflecting on how our once most promising junior player has seemed increasingly lost as the season has gone by. I was ready to give up on him. 
And then “something” happened. I’m not totally sure what the “something” was, but something seemed to click. I think it was when he received the ball deep after about 20 minutes and instead of trying to muscle his way past, he shimmied, cut inside and was suddenly in acres of space. From then on I thought he looked dangerous every time he had the ball, and was definitely in the top three players on the pitch. 
Let’s hope he can build on this. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

At League One level we simply have better players than the rest. Yet largely we still don’t dominate possession and play through teams.

That’s not a bad thing. Warne will get us promoted this season, no doubts, and he deserves credit for that.

But claiming his style of play is more technical than physical is just laughable.

I agree with this analysis. What I don't know is how far an athletic but not technically gifted team can go.

We remember the likes of Wimbledon and stoke but if truth be told, I'd rather we didn't use those as the blueprint.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

I agree with this analysis. What I don't know is how far an athletic but not technically gifted team can go.

We remember the likes of Wimbledon and stoke but if truth be told, I'd rather we didn't use those as the blueprint.

Luton have done pretty decent too.

But you are looking at only a few examples over the past 20 years or so.

There are far more examples of technical teams progressing and achieving success than physical.

Ideally you would like a blend of both. I think McClaren initially actually saw that weakness from Clough’s side and thus added height/strength in Thorne, Wisdom, Whitbread and Keane.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Thing is, I didn’t. We play mixed football most of the time. Sometimes physical, sometimes technical. We play in a way promotion teams play in League one. Are you suggesting that only technical teams win in the championship or indeed in football in general ?

The irony is that it is a player like Adams who is both physical and technical has made a huge difference to our performance as a team when for example Bird and Hourihan for all their technical abilities have struggled in physical games. You play in a way to beat the opposition. To suggest Warne is fixated on a style as Macarthy often was is as inaccurate as it is unjust. 

Excellent win and all round performance. Sibs had a good game and I had to eat humble pie in front of the missus for my pre-match assessment of Bradley - Lordy, she's had a great day!

This win deserves more than 19 pages😀

Defence was as rock solid as ever.

Nelson was quiet really as Cashin attacked the ball defensively and Bradley offensively.

Sibley worked his backside off and was his best game in a long while. Wilson was up and down like an animal and so strong. They made it a back 5 and a back 3 as and when needed.

Smith,  Adams and Thompson all-action,  scrapping,  ratting and running the game.

Collins won a lot of headers and NML without looking especially likely to score or assist (and missed a good chance) was full of beans again.

No poor performances. Got the goals,  dictated the game.

Another Warne masterclass when we score early.

Even looked like we may create a goal from open play 2nd half.

We went from a 2/10 performance to a 9/10 in 4 days.

One last big performance next weekend and hopefully we can watch a procession on the last day. 

Edited by Chester40

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Thing is, I didn’t. We play mixed football most of the time. Sometimes physical, sometimes technical. We play in a way promotion teams play in League one. Are you suggesting that only technical teams win in the championship or indeed in football in general ?

The irony is that it is a player like Adams who is both physical and technical has made a huge difference to our performance as a team when for example Bird and Hourihan for all their technical abilities have struggled in physical games. You play in a way to beat the opposition. To suggest Warne is fixated on a style as Macarthy often was is as inaccurate as it is unjust. 

The original point I made was that more physical sides are better at set-pieces than technical sides. For some reason you claim this is drivel when it’s pretty evident, especially outside of PL level where the riches allow Liverpool and City to have players who possess both.

Warne evidently favors physicality over technical ability. The reason why Adams looks technical is because he is playing a league below. Derby’s players are better than most at this level, regardless of physical attributes. Adams didn’t cut it at Championship level with Cardiff yet League One appears a breeze for him. 

Warne has succeeded by getting us to at least match, often overcome the opponent’s physical attributes while seeing our higher individual quality come through. We have won countless games this season just through individual quality - the sort of quality the opponents don’t possess.

At Championship level we won’t be able to rely on that, because with a lower half budget, we’ll likely come up against opponents of better individual quality.