Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

47 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Hopefully you don't think I made that comment. 

I did make animated gif jokes about the inclusion of Sonny Bradley, who I'm afraid to say I do not rate as a defender, despite his two goals yesterday.

I'm arguing that I am entitled to my opinion on Bradley, regardless of yesterday, and that it should not be classified as "slating the team".

No, it wasn't a reference to anything you posted, and I think I made it clear that it was posts like that one that I personally find worthy of ridicule. They tend to be text posts anyway, not GIFs.

19 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I say it’s clear to anyone without an agenda that Warne has signed players both with technical ability (Ward, Wilson, Embleton, John-Jules, CBT) AND those with physicality in their game (Nelson, Nyambe, Bradley, Adams).

He does favour an athleticism to his sides, but acting as though he hasn’t also signed and played players with some technical ability is very much the pushing of an agenda that goes on on here and amongst the fan base. How can some people claim he’s stubborn in his selection of Hourihane in one breath then say he only uses physical players in another? 

We’re not a perfect team, there’s been some frustrating games this season for sure and some shocking performances, there’s also been some good stuff too. 
I really find the stance of “this or that” to be so tedious. 

Being objective I think people should be able to admit there’s at least some use of technical players this season and last (McGoldrick, Sibley, NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Ward, Wilson, Bird) alongside the athleticism of others. Almost as if the team needed a blend of both and it’s worked to the point of putting the side in touching distance of automatic promotion…. But that’s just my opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I never said he didn't sign any technical players or doesn't play them. Every team needs some players with ability, you can't win anything with 11 cloggers. 

McGoldrick, Sibley, NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Bird are all players he didn't sign, and he obviously can't sign a whole squad, so he's played them. He had to play McGoldrick and NML they were/are too good for the division. Bird has been sold and the others are having their contracts ran down.

He often came out after games saying we had no bite or aggression in midfield when playing with Hourinhane and Bird.

He has signed physical players and technical players, but you can see by the way he sets up and the way the team plays, he's swinging towards the physical side of the game. Record set piece goals is an indicator of that. Run more than the opposition first, technical stuff second.

When Ward, Wilson, Nyambe all fit, Nyambe played. No one knows what type of player embleton would have been. JJ when fit, was second or third choice and CBT can hardly get a game because he's not fit enough for Warne ball.

1 minute ago, ripleyram88 said:

I never said he didn't sign any technical players or doesn't play them. Every team needs some players with ability, you can't win anything with 11 cloggers. 

McGoldrick, Sibley, NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Bird are all players he didn't sign, and he obviously can't sign a whole squad, so he's played them. He had to play McGoldrick and NML they were/are too good for the division. Bird has been sold and the others are having their contracts ran down.

He often came out after games saying we had no bite or aggression in midfield when playing with Hourinhane and Bird.

He has signed physical players and technical players, but you can see by the way he sets up and the way the team plays, he's swinging towards the physical side of the game. Record set piece goals is an indicator of that. Run more than the opposition first, technical stuff second.

When Ward, Wilson, Nyambe all fit, Nyambe played. No one knows what type of player embleton would have been. JJ when fit, was second or third choice and CBT can hardly get a game because he's not fit enough for Warne ball.

I’m sick of this debate so once again, I’ll bow out, safe in the knowledge that I’m personally enjoying the team being second in the league, potentially two games away from promotion, record points total for a season, equalled our record away wins and could still beat it, best goal difference in the league as it stands, equal highest number of wins in the league as it stands, loads of set piece goals….theres plenty I’m enjoying and will continue to do so.

You do you friend. 

45 minutes ago, ripleyram88 said:

Think you're taking alot of poetic licence with your summary here.

Why is record set piece goals an indicator of physicality? Is it not an indicator of good coaching? From what I can see, we've realised goalkeepers at this level don't like the corners being landed in their 6 yard box and we have exploited that. 

Where does the CBT not fit enough for 'Warne ball' come from?

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

To clarify, what is your objective case to support your assertion that he is still worthy of the title calamity Bradley?

Not whether he is as good as Nelson or Cashin (I don’t think he is and I have never said he is).

Not based on opinions which, by definition, are subjective not objective.

Not on his record for the whole season. I said right at the start “since he’s put those early blunders behind him”.

Not that he is more likely to make a mistake than Cashin or Nelson (although this is a subjective opinion in itself but I think is true) but that he’s more likely to such an extent to justify the label calamity.

I also think he has made more mistakes (per game time) than either Cashin and Nelson (although I suspect neither of us have the actual stats). Out of the three, he would be a distant third in my pecking order simply because he isn’t such a good footballer and makes mistakes (as all footballers do) but not enough now to justify such name calling.

Feels like we're walking in circles and maybe should have agreed to disagree right from the start but I'll give it a go trying to clarify.

I wrote Calamity Bradley AND Super Sonny to explain that I consider him very uneven. Then you got upset about it and decided it was rude because for some unknown reason I didn't get to count either his early disaster efforts or his latest craziness. I then used player ratings from footmob as a quick approximation because I felt it was enough for a forum post. If you want we can add weaknesses from who scored which are discipline, concentration and tackles. All are a good fit for how I define a calamity central defender.

On top of that, I've seen him make many more big mistakes than Cashin and Nelson who I think are the players I can compare to this season (I haven't seen any other defenders to the same extent off course). I think you'd might agree that he's guilty of some really crazy back passes this season, lost his head and lost concentration in some really important situations?

If you want, please come back with your definition of when the term can be used, so I will keep that in mind from now on. Other than that, I of course hope that Calamity Bradley never shows up again and that we only get to see Super Sonny for the rest of his career.

15 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Feels like we're walking in circles and maybe should have agreed to disagree right from the start but I'll give it a go trying to clarify.

I wrote Calamity Bradley AND Super Sonny to explain that I consider him very uneven. Then you got upset about it and decided it was rude because for some unknown reason I didn't get to count either his early disaster efforts or his latest craziness. I then used player ratings from footmob as a quick approximation because I felt it was enough for a forum post. If you want we can add weaknesses from who scored which are discipline, concentration and tackles. All are a good fit for how I define a calamity central defender.

On top of that, I've seen him make many more big mistakes than Cashin and Nelson who I think are the players I can compare to this season (I haven't seen any other defenders to the same extent off course). I think you'd might agree that he's guilty of some really crazy back passes this season, lost his head and lost concentration in some really important situations?

If you want, please come back with your definition of when the term can be used, so I will keep that in mind from now on. Other than that, I of course hope that Calamity Bradley never shows up again and that we only get to see Super Sonny for the rest of his career.

Whilst I still don’t particularly like name calling our own players, I realise that I did overreact in my part in allowing this spat continue. As you say, we should have left it at agreeing to disagreeing. Having said that, you are still missing my point that, by and large his calamity days were early in his time at Derby and he doesn’t make significantly more mistakes than any other player any more. Therefore, the use of the name “calamity” should probably be dropped now. Also, as I have said before, the player ratings didn’t prove anything. In fact they simply supported the theory that, whilst certainly not as good as either Cashin or Nelson, he isn’t so far off to justify the level of criticism some level at him. If you’re going to quote these ratings to support your argument then I don’t know how you can fail to notice that his rating was only 0.4 lower than Nelson who we all rate highly.

Yes, I agree he was guilty of some crazy/poor back passes at the start of the season (I can’t say that I can recall any since hence why I’ve suggested we should move on from that label). 

Regarding my definition of when the term can be used well, ideally never. As I say, I really don’t like name calling any of our current players. Why does anyone feel the need to? 

As I think you’re probably saying, time to move on now and for us both to let it drop.

Thought we played well and managed the occasion excellently. I can't believe anyone would be moaning or disappointed after winning 3-0 and our rivals dropping points. Really feeling like we can do this now! Thought the atmosphere in the first 20 minutes was excellent as it was in the second half. I can't wait for Carlisle as I'll imagine we'll take the roof off if we go up! 

Thought I would wait till Monday to post , let the trolling and the negative pushing die down,

It was a game I was nervy about given the importance and our lifelong propensity to shoot ourselves in the foot but warne picked a team he thought would win it including Bradley who let’s be honest was going to cause a bit of a scream up for some fans ,,,, hey presto , shock horror we came out ,showed no nerves and went at it and it felt comfortable apart from the start of the second half where we didn’t seem at it and it’s the kind of point where we lose a goal at 2 up and the jitters kick in but no we got the third eventually and a great day was had by all , especially when I saw the other scores , in the hunt for autos and thumped by 5 at home ,,,,, jeez ,

had a lovely day with my nephew who was waist height to me when I first took him to derby but now its reversed and I’m waist height to him 😂

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Thought I would wait till Monday to post , let the trolling and the negative pushing die down,

It was a game I was nervy about given the importance and our lifelong propensity to shoot ourselves in the foot but warne picked a team he thought would win it including Bradley who let’s be honest was going to cause a bit of a scream up for some fans ,,,, hey presto , shock horror we came out ,showed no nerves and went at it and it felt comfortable apart from the start of the second half where we didn’t seem at it and it’s the kind of point where we lose a goal at 2 up and the jitters kick in but no we got the third eventually and a great day was had by all , especially when I saw the other scores , in the hunt for autos and thumped by 5 at home ,,,,, jeez ,

had a lovely day with my nephew who was waist height to me when I first took him to derby but now its reversed and I’m waist height to him 😂

I thought Thommo in midfield made all the difference but it was very much a good team performance generally. Orient never got a moment to settle when they were on the ball and we won more second balls than I've seen for a long time. Play this way for the next two and we're up, simple as that!

On 12/04/2024 at 22:03, DiggerB said:

Really not looking forward to this one tomorrow. Sister-in-law, her boyfriend and her son will be in the away end. I’ve never met her bloke. They’re coming back to ours for the evening afterwards.

Please don’t lose!

Please don’t lose!

Please don’t lose!

Please don’t lose!

I assume you enjoyed your evening and trust you were suitably smug.😄

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I assume you enjoyed your evening and trust you were suitably smug.😄

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave  earlier in the thread. No overt smugness required, just the warm knowing glow of superiority. Though it could’ve been the curry! 😆