Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

31 minutes ago, jono said:

Not true. The “original” comment you made was that Warne favours grunt football. So please stop shifting the goal posts.

We may struggle next season to get the right players, simply on the basis of funds available relative to our competitors, but that doesn’t make Warne Neanderthal… which WAS your original point no matter how you duck and dive. Sorry Bris, I hate falling out with people but you are a scratched record from a dull band. 

I said Warne is closer to McCarthy than McClaren. Are you saying that statement is wrong? 

I’d like to see the evidence that shows Warne prefers flair over physicality. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I like reading most of your posts, but your first paragraph today is really poor.

2 games to go and promotion in our hands and it still feels like so many of our 'supporters' have personal axes to grind.

Very sad times and I'm not sure some of our fans actually deserve the promotion that we may achieve. 

Apologies if my opening statement was a little deflating. I tried, rather poorly it seems, to provide a contrast with how it looked with how it turned out. However, after Wednesday night, we we stood on the threshold of making automatics secure, and not only let the door slam in our face, we slammed it in our own face. Yes, some of the players didn't turn up, but most of that failure was down to tactics, hence ethe caution. But what a turnaround. Instead of running scared of the opposition and surrendering a load of territory, we put in a most accomplished and secure performance. It wasn't Stevie Mac 1 stuff, but we had way too much for Leyton Orient and played like it. After Wednesday, who'd have thought it? 

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I said Warne is closer to McCarthy than McClaren. Are you saying that statement is wrong? 

I’d like to see the evidence that shows Warne prefers flair over physicality. 

You won't find any. It's clear to anyone without an agenda that Warne prefers players who are physical, athletic and aggressive. The likes of Thomson struggle to get into the team over someone like Korey Smith, even though he's a much better player. Bird is leaving because his technical ability goes over Warne's head. And then look at someone like CBT. First half of the season he was one of the leagues better players, but suddenly we sign him and he can't get a spot - alluded to in interviews that he can't get up to pace with the squad.

Not to say this approach is bad, or to make it sound negative, but why are so many people getting defensive about it when you say Warne is a physical type manager. It's clear to see through his career that's the case, and while I do think he's a little less "lump it to the fast strong forwards" than he was at Rotherham, he's not changed too much.

It's evident when our most gifted technical players have left, are leaving, or are running out of contract.

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

That was actually the most comfortable afternoon at Pride Park for ages. Having said that, my heart sank when I saw the team sheet, because like a bad smell, Bradley was back in. My only surprise was that Warne's other boyfriend Hourihane wasn't starting, but like Bradley of old, he was the first sub to come on! But they guy done well. But as for CBT - he is clearly a confidence player, and almost vanished after the miss on Wednesday evening, so what better way to boost his confidence than to drop him. Nice one. I hope he gets a chance to shine before the season ends.

Getting to my seat before kick-off looking at the teams out on the pitch, and I felt confident of a win today, and indeed we simply had too much for them today. It was a good performance all round, no-one messed up, no-one failed to turn up, and no-one got injured, and for the modern game, that last one is a miracle! Stand outs were Thompson, who makes such a difference in the middle of the pitch, Cashin (as always) and Sibley, who had one of his best games for a while, and the defence was pretty sound, ensuring no shots on target I believe. And a big shout out to Wilson, who continues to do amazing things with the ball.

First half though, apart from the corners, there wasn't much of a threat on goal from us, either, although we looked the most likely to score. But as the game opened up in the second half we created a lot down our right. One particular move had Sibley flicking the ball over his opponent, a three man one-touch passage and a cross, with NML putting a deft flick on the ball which went inches of the top corner. What a goal that would have been. See - we can do it! (Play football, I mean).

There were some bizarre decisions from the match officials in the first half, which I put down to League One standard refereeing, but second half they managed to lower the bar considerably, but thankfully nothing match-changing.

And finally a BIG, nay HUGE shout out to the fans- the support was superb today, with large sections of North Standers joining in with the noise - Good Onya! And the Orient fans singing "National League Champions - you'll never sing that!" - Excellent!

Was going to comment on how negative you are and set in your ways and ideas of our players and staff - but can’t be bothered after such a good day. At least for you, your boy Sibley played very well

3 minutes ago, ripleyram88 said:

You won't find any. It's clear to anyone without an agenda that Warne prefers players who are physical, athletic and aggressive. The likes of Thomson struggle to get into the team over someone like Korey Smith, even though he's a much better player. Bird is leaving because his technical ability goes over Warne's head. And then look at someone like CBT. First half of the season he was one of the leagues better players, but suddenly we sign him and he can't get a spot - alluded to in interviews that he can't get up to pace with the squad.

Not to say this approach is bad, or to make it sound negative, but why are so many people getting defensive about it when you say Warne is a physical type manager. It's clear to see through his career that's the case, and while I do think he's a little less "lump it to the fast strong forwards" than he was at Rotherham, he's not changed too much.

It's evident when our most gifted technical players have left, are leaving, or are running out of contract.

I say it’s clear to anyone without an agenda that Warne has signed players both with technical ability (Ward, Wilson, Embleton, John-Jules, CBT) AND those with physicality in their game (Nelson, Nyambe, Bradley, Adams).

He does favour an athleticism to his sides, but acting as though he hasn’t also signed and played players with some technical ability is very much the pushing of an agenda that goes on on here and amongst the fan base. How can some people claim he’s stubborn in his selection of Hourihane in one breath then say he only uses physical players in another? 

We’re not a perfect team, there’s been some frustrating games this season for sure and some shocking performances, there’s also been some good stuff too. 
I really find the stance of “this or that” to be so tedious. 

Being objective I think people should be able to admit there’s at least some use of technical players this season and last (McGoldrick, Sibley, NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Ward, Wilson, Bird) alongside the athleticism of others. Almost as if the team needed a blend of both and it’s worked to the point of putting the side in touching distance of automatic promotion…. But that’s just my opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Great day today. My kids loved it and one of them bought himself a lovely black, green and white Derby tracksuit style top.

Great win and loved the tenseness at the end until Bolton result came in.

Loved Bradley scoring his first, let alone his second. He was pleased and most the crowd seemed too. Was thinking about some of his haters on here, but can't be bothered to read their expected comments pre-match.

I wondered if one of them had made the game when in the first half, Thompson let a pass get past him and go out for a throw near the left back position.

"You're sht Thompson" shouted some moron in a grim, nasalish Notts accent. We had scored the 2nd about 5 minutes earlier. Someone gave the fool some stick, to which he responded "Well, he is sht".

Hope they haven't got a ticket for the last game.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, and you, HorsforthRam. It's a small world! 

Do you ever get to away games? If so, say hello.

Good to meet many of the Punjabi Rams who I know from X, too. 

Just back from a gig in Leeds. Yes, I do get to away games (unfortunately, missing out on Cambridge but a quite a few of the Punjabi Rams will be there. I’ll def catch you at some away games next season 👍🏽

45 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I say it’s clear to anyone without an agenda that Warne has signed players both with technical ability (Ward, Wilson, Embleton, John-Jules, CBT) AND those with physicality in their game (Nelson, Nyambe, Bradley, Adams).

He does favour an athleticism to his sides, but acting as though he hasn’t also signed and played players with some technical ability is very much the pushing of an agenda that goes on on here and amongst the fan base. How can some people claim he’s stubborn in his selection of Hourihane in one breath then say he only uses physical players in another? 

We’re not a perfect team, there’s been some frustrating games this season for sure and some shocking performances, there’s also been some good stuff too. 
I really find the stance of “this or that” to be so tedious. 

Being objective I think people should be able to admit there’s at least some use of technical players this season and last (McGoldrick, Sibley, NML, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Ward, Wilson, Bird) alongside the athleticism of others. Almost as if the team needed a blend of both and it’s worked to the point of putting the side in touching distance of automatic promotion…. But that’s just my opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Nobody expects a full flair side of 5 ft 6 players, likewise nobody expects a team of 6ft 3 cloggers. Even Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich had some technical players like McGoldrick and Judge.

Just because Warne has signed Joel Ward doesn’t mean he doesn’t prefer a physical side. And claiming Kane Wilson is technical. The guy is nicknamed the buffalo for a reason. He is a bulldozer, no technique about him.

Warne clearly favors a physical team over a technical one. And it hasn’t served him badly in League One as he closing in on four promotions. But in most cases, it doesn’t serve you well in the Championship.

I feel he will either need to change his approach, or somehow hope Clowes gives him a top half budget to compete.

Warne + a bottom half budget = likely battle against relegation.

26 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Was very nervous about this one but without need. Most encouraging is how the squad are all pulling together in the run in with key goals coming from unexpected players adams,ward,wilson now Bradley.

Two to go - can we do it? And more importantly can we stay calm and neutral in the home stand at Cambridge? Any tips?

Imagine you’re playing poker and you are holding a Royal flush.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nobody expects a full flair side of 5 ft 6 players, likewise nobody expects a team of 6ft 3 cloggers. Even Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich had some technical players like McGoldrick and Judge.

Just because Warne has signed Joel Ward doesn’t mean he doesn’t prefer a physical side. And claiming Kane Wilson is technical. The guy is nicknamed the buffalo for a reason. He is a bulldozer, no technique about him.

Warne clearly favors a physical team over a technical one. And it hasn’t served him badly in League One as he closing in on four promotions. But in most cases, it doesn’t serve you well in the Championship.

I feel he will either need to change his approach, or somehow hope Clowes gives him a top half budget to compete.

Warne + a bottom half budget = likely battle against relegation.

Sure thing Bris, whatever you say 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Apologies if my opening statement was a little deflating. I tried, rather poorly it seems, to provide a contrast with how it looked with how it turned out. However, after Wednesday night, we we stood on the threshold of making automatics secure, and not only let the door slam in our face, we slammed it in our own face. Yes, some of the players didn't turn up, but most of that failure was down to tactics, hence ethe caution. But what a turnaround. Instead of running scared of the opposition and surrendering a load of territory, we put in a most accomplished and secure performance. It wasn't Stevie Mac 1 stuff, but we had way too much for Leyton Orient and played like it. After Wednesday, who'd have thought it? 

And that required the snide references to Warne, Bradley and Hourihane did it? An evasive response.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The original point I made was that more physical sides are better at set-pieces than technical sides. For some reason you claim this is drivel when it’s pretty evident, especially outside of PL level where the riches allow Liverpool and City to have players who possess both.

Warne evidently favors physicality over technical ability. The reason why Adams looks technical is because he is playing a league below. Derby’s players are better than most at this level, regardless of physical attributes. Adams didn’t cut it at Championship level with Cardiff yet League One appears a breeze for him. 

Warne has succeeded by getting us to at least match, often overcome the opponent’s physical attributes while seeing our higher individual quality come through. We have won countless games this season just through individual quality - the sort of quality the opponents don’t possess.

At Championship level we won’t be able to rely on that, because with a lower half budget, we’ll likely come up against opponents of better individual quality.

To be honest it seems like the original point was pretty much aimed at taking the attention away from a good win that’s puts us in the box seat and diverting the match day thread into arguments over warne style and choice of players , just so predictable posting and perhaps more obvious than you realise to those who bother to read 
of course it’s not trolling 😜

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I like reading most of your posts, but your first paragraph today is really poor.

2 games to go and promotion in our hands and it still feels like so many of our 'supporters' have personal axes to grind.

Very sad times and I'm not sure some of our fans actually deserve the promotion that we may achieve. 

I didn’t get past the first paragraph, it just switched my attention off🤷🏻‍♂️