Match Thread: Leyton Orient (h)

Given the pressure on us going into the game I thought that was as comfortable a performance as we could have hoped for and a further 2 or 3 goals from open play wouldn't have gone amiss.

Some of the stupid comments posted when the starting X1 was announced were embarrassing, churlish and infantile - I do wonder at some fans.

Massive win today, we where calm, organised, and played some good stuff, and the most important part, it's back in our hands again, all played there part, but thought Smith and Adams in the middle where excellent, Sonny came back with a bang and 2 goals, and Kane was a hand full for them, we pressed well, and should have won by 5 or 6, I will now go off to Milan a very Happy Ram. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

Before others go off on tonight's matchthread tangent, I just wanted to say what an enjoyable afternoon at Pride Park. A cracking atmosphere, good football and a deserved win. 

I  had assumed Warne would revert to a back three, simply because it allows Sibley and Wilson to get forward more. I thought both were excellent,  but it was the inclusion of Thommo that made all the difference.  It gave us a midfield three with tenacity and bite. As a result, all the other parts of the team played better than midweek. Collins, especially,  looked so much better in the role today, and although Mendez-Laing's traditional wing play is sacrificed in this formation, he managed to get out wide at times, delivered good set pieces and could have had a couple of goals on the break.

Although I loved the set-piece goals, I do wish we could finish some of our chances created in open play, as it would do our confidence the world of good. 

Still, the defence was excellent,  snuffing out the few chances that Orient created, and providing the goals, too. 

It was difficult to choose a MOTM today as there are so many contenders. 

And as Warne said afterwards, no further injuries. 

Results went our way so automatic promotion is back in our hands. Play like this for the last two games and we are there! 

18 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The original point I made was that more physical sides are better at set-pieces than technical sides. For some reason you claim this is drivel when it’s pretty evident, especially outside of PL level where the riches allow Liverpool and City to have players who possess both.

Warne evidently favors physicality over technical ability. The reason why Adams looks technical is because he is playing a league below. Derby’s players are better than most at this level, regardless of physical attributes. Adams didn’t cut it at Championship level with Cardiff yet League One appears a breeze for him. 

Warne has succeeded by getting us to at least match, often overcome the opponent’s physical attributes while seeing our higher individual quality come through. We have won countless games this season just through individual quality - the sort of quality the opponents don’t possess.

At Championship level we won’t be able to rely on that, because with a lower half budget, we’ll likely come up against opponents of better individual quality.

To say Adams didn't cut it at Cardiff is a bit harsh seeing as he only managed 11 games and was out for a year with some debilitating injuries.

I have no doubt the player we have seen this season could cut it in the Champo- even with a top half team.

Absolutely pleased for all who were there today, I saw the team sheet as usual and was ecstatic that Sonny Bradley was picked I think I'm the only poster on here that has been 100% behind Sonny, What a player 😁

At Belper which is the norm but most of us were following the game on tinternet, Scores coming through quicker than Ceefax, Results went our way so all's well...made up for all of you...😊

The game at Belper was witnessed by all supporters who saw one of the most inept referee/linesman performances on this planet, Belper lost 5-0 there were 3 sending's off 12/15 bookings...we lost count actually...I've watched 1000s of games in my lifetime this official sunk to the depths of the earths core 🙄 

2 games to go and it's back in our...image.png.30099c2f6713f28fa914c63e948c37e8.png

27 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

To say Adams didn't cut it at Cardiff is a bit harsh seeing as he only managed 11 games and was out for a year with some debilitating injuries.

I have no doubt the player we have seen this season could cut it in the Champo- even with a top half team.

I agree - but I did have a glance at their forum and most of their fans were of the opinion he's doing well for us because that's his level.    I hope that's the general feeling around that club as it can't  harm our chances of signing him. 

Think he only has a year left on his contract too so they'll have to decide whether to listen to offers, let his contract run down  or extend based on what he's done at another club at a lower level. 

Edited by trappatoni

Really enjoyable game today, good atmosphere and probably the least nervous I have felt in a while. An early goal always helps! I thought everyone played well so hard to pick anyone out today, but well done to Sonny for atoning for his red card debacle! Looking forward to Cambridge now, I hope results go our way so that we can finish the job there and enjoy the last game already up, but as this is Derby I'm not really expecting that! COYR!

That was actually the most comfortable afternoon at Pride Park for ages. Having said that, my heart sank when I saw the team sheet, because like a bad smell, Bradley was back in. My only surprise was that Warne's other boyfriend Hourihane wasn't starting, but like Bradley of old, he was the first sub to come on! But they guy done well. But as for CBT - he is clearly a confidence player, and almost vanished after the miss on Wednesday evening, so what better way to boost his confidence than to drop him. Nice one. I hope he gets a chance to shine before the season ends.

Getting to my seat before kick-off looking at the teams out on the pitch, and I felt confident of a win today, and indeed we simply had too much for them today. It was a good performance all round, no-one messed up, no-one failed to turn up, and no-one got injured, and for the modern game, that last one is a miracle! Stand outs were Thompson, who makes such a difference in the middle of the pitch, Cashin (as always) and Sibley, who had one of his best games for a while, and the defence was pretty sound, ensuring no shots on target I believe. And a big shout out to Wilson, who continues to do amazing things with the ball.

First half though, apart from the corners, there wasn't much of a threat on goal from us, either, although we looked the most likely to score. But as the game opened up in the second half we created a lot down our right. One particular move had Sibley flicking the ball over his opponent, a three man one-touch passage and a cross, with NML putting a deft flick on the ball which went inches of the top corner. What a goal that would have been. See - we can do it! (Play football, I mean).

There were some bizarre decisions from the match officials in the first half, which I put down to League One standard refereeing, but second half they managed to lower the bar considerably, but thankfully nothing match-changing.

And finally a BIG, nay HUGE shout out to the fans- the support was superb today, with large sections of North Standers joining in with the noise - Good Onya! And the Orient fans singing "National League Champions - you'll never sing that!" - Excellent!

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I don't think the full backs were the problem against Wycombe. Giving up centre midfield and carp finishing did the job.....

They contributed lol

but yes agree the finishing was the big problem 

Calamity Bradley was not around today and hopefully we may see Super Sonny from now on!  

Would be interesting to see our running stats and compare to other games. It felt like we ran a lot more than usual both up and down.

Good game all around!

9 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

That was actually the most comfortable afternoon at Pride Park for ages. Having said that, my heart sank when I saw the team sheet, because like a bad smell, Bradley was back in. My only surprise was that Warne's other boyfriend Hourihane wasn't starting, but like Bradley of old, he was the first sub to come on! But they guy done well. But as for CBT - he is clearly a confidence player, and almost vanished after the miss on Wednesday evening, so what better way to boost his confidence than to drop him. Nice one. I hope he gets a chance to shine before the season ends.

Getting to my seat before kick-off looking at the teams out on the pitch, and I felt confident of a win today, and indeed we simply had too much for them today. It was a good performance all round, no-one messed up, no-one failed to turn up, and no-one got injured, and for the modern game, that last one is a miracle! Stand outs were Thompson, who makes such a difference in the middle of the pitch, Cashin (as always) and Sibley, who had one of his best games for a while, and the defence was pretty sound, ensuring no shots on target I believe. And a big shout out to Wilson, who continues to do amazing things with the ball.

First half though, apart from the corners, there wasn't much of a threat on goal from us, either, although we looked the most likely to score. But as the game opened up in the second half we created a lot down our right. One particular move had Sibley flicking the ball over his opponent, a three man one-touch passage and a cross, with NML putting a deft flick on the ball which went inches of the top corner. What a goal that would have been. See - we can do it! (Play football, I mean).

There were some bizarre decisions from the match officials in the first half, which I put down to League One standard refereeing, but second half they managed to lower the bar considerably, but thankfully nothing match-changing.

And finally a BIG, nay HUGE shout out to the fans- the support was superb today, with large sections of North Standers joining in with the noise - Good Onya! And the Orient fans singing "National League Champions - you'll never sing that!" - Excellent!

I like reading most of your posts, but your first paragraph today is really poor.

2 games to go and promotion in our hands and it still feels like so many of our 'supporters' have personal axes to grind.

Very sad times and I'm not sure some of our fans actually deserve the promotion that we may achieve. 

38 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

A big shout out for Sibley’s tackle in the second half at 2-0. I enjoyed that as much as a goal as we were allowing them too much of the ball at the time. Another good performance. 

Things do appear a lot brighter today. 2 wins needed now. Don’t c*** it up!!!

🐏🐏🐏

We all thought Sibley was brilliant today

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

The original point I made was that more physical sides are better at set-pieces than technical sides. For some reason you claim this is drivel when it’s pretty evident, especially outside of PL level where the riches allow Liverpool and City to have players who possess both.

Warne evidently favors physicality over technical ability. The reason why Adams looks technical is because he is playing a league below. Derby’s players are better than most at this level, regardless of physical attributes. Adams didn’t cut it at Championship level with Cardiff yet League One appears a breeze for him. 

Warne has succeeded by getting us to at least match, often overcome the opponent’s physical attributes while seeing our higher individual quality come through. We have won countless games this season just through individual quality - the sort of quality the opponents don’t possess.

At Championship level we won’t be able to rely on that, because with a lower half budget, we’ll likely come up against opponents of better individual quality.

Have to remember next season whatever league were it’ll be our first in as long as i can remember without any embargo, restrictions or strict efl business plan.

Im not expecting us to be reckless, but the simple fact is were one of the best supported clubs outside the premiership, hell the country.

im expecting a bit of an overhaul, theyll be plenty of players if derby county come knocking theyll answer our call.. play infront of 30 thousand … we aint going to struggle to attract better players next year, regardless of where we are.

within our own budget that said, im not expecting us to spend millions again, but we can be shrewd 

coyr 

Edited by NottsRam77

2 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Calamity Bradley was not around today and hopefully we may see Super Sonny from now on!  

Would be interesting to see our running stats and compare to other games. It felt like we ran a lot more than usual both up and down.

Good game all around!

This kind of comment really annoys me. He was a fool at Northampton but once he’d overcome the errors in his early days at Derby I don’t believe he’s been that much better or worse than most players. It reminds me of the “Keogh’s always got a mistake in him” stuff we used to see.

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

This kind of comment really annoys me. He was a fool at Northampton but once he’d overcome the errors in his early days at Derby I don’t believe he’s been that much better or worse than most players. It reminds me of the “Keogh’s always got a mistake in him” stuff we used to see.

Unfortunately some people are too entrenched in their own opinions to worry about the bigger picture. 

Think they would have preferred Bradley scoring an own goal today rather than the 2 goals he scored.