Match Thread: vs Bristol Rovers (a)

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He does seem to “go missing” occasionally but then you see him and NML dovetailing together on the counter or him popping up with a great finish like earlier and it’s hard for me to deny he’s an asset in this squad 

He is definitely an asset. I think the main frustration is most of us know what he can do, and just doesn’t seem to do it enough. Be great if he can hit form now for the run in. 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Interesting hearing Barkhuizen saying he’s been given a bit of a freer role than he’s normally had in his career, is that…dare I say it…evidence that the coaching staff might be getting something out of him as a player? 

Funny player is Barks. Didn’t contribute a huge amount in general play, but in key moments he really can produce the goods!

Pretty comprehensive victory in the end. We dominated the majority of the game apart from the spell they had just after we went 2-0 up. 

Until we made the break through I had a nagging fear that it was gonna be one of those games we controlled and then end up losing 1-0 right at the death.

It could and should have been more convincing in the end. Another great pick-me-up after 2 disappointing defeats. Hopefully we're hitting our stride just at the right time. Disappointing news regarding Birdy but we are eventually going to have to cope without the lad so now is a good a time as any to find a way. 

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Interesting hearing Barkhuizen saying he’s been given a bit of a freer role than he’s normally had in his career, is that…dare I say it…evidence that the coaching staff might be getting something out of him as a player? 

I have always rated Barks 😊

14 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Funny player is Barks. Didn’t contribute a huge amount in general play, but in key moments he really can produce the goods!

His energy off the ball in recent weeks has been excellent but doesnt always get noticed. 

For our 3rd goal vs Port Vale it came from him chasing a hopeless ball down & winning us a throw which led to our goal.

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

His energy off the ball in recent weeks has been excellent but doesnt always get noticed. 

For our 3rd goal vs Port Vale it came from him chasing a hopeless ball down & winning us a throw which led to our goal.

Knows CBT is waiting to pinch his place too. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Bird missing is a huge blow. Adams is going to have to put in the performance of his life to carry Hourihane in that midfield two, not sure why Smith isn’t in instead. 

Suspect it’ll be bypass the midfield and lump it forward again. I’m not hopeful.

Max who? Great results today , 2nd is ours to throw away now .

4 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Max who? Great results today , 2nd is ours to throw away now .

We’re still going to badly miss Bird - he’s our best player, and him being out for three weeks could still derail us.

Results have gone our way today but there’s a long way to go. Difficult weeks lie ahead.

What a huge result, but it’s probably wise to take it one game at a time bearing in mind how tight things are. There could be two points separating four teams all things being equal.

Reading will be another tough game in midweek where we’ll have to be professional and switched on to get the job done. They’ll be looking and thinking they could do a number on us like Charlton did.

It’s hard not to be positive at the moment though. We are in such a good place. Those back to back defeats could have been terminal but we have bounced back in style. Warne and the players are showing great character.

Adams and Gayle have given us some post January oomph that we missed last year. The whole squad are playing their part - see Bradley, Ward, Smith, Barkhuizen and Sibley all making important contributions to the cause over recent weeks.

Losing to Bird to injury will be a blow but it gives others in the squad a chance to shine. Hourihane and Thompson will be raring to go.

All we need is CBT to arrive at the party and it could be a really really fun end to the season!

Biggest pleasing thing for me today compared to the Barnsley and Charlton game and one or two others is when we got the second goal we didn't do the usual sit back and try and defend it. This performance if we take into the last 9 games i think we go up. Win on Tuesday and Portsmouth mess up suddenly they get dragged in it with them playing Peterborough at the weekend.