Match Thread: vs Bristol Rovers (a)

1 minute ago, sage said:

As soon as we get a lead away we look good at picking them off.

People often wonder what Warne’s tactical plan is and I always feel that’s a big part of it, get ahead and keep going. What I will say is it’s a shame looking at the table to see we’ve won as many as Portsmouth to think those games we haven’t pushed on from a winning position could have seen us way more comfortable at the top of the league 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Still some twists and turns to go.

I know Pompey didn’t win, but they will be delighted with today’s results given Bolton and Barnsley slipped up.

Games are running out.

Given the inconsistencies Pompey are probably only 5 more wins away from promotion.

89 points will be enough for second place. Avoid defeat to Bolton and win 5 of the last 8 + a draw and that will probably do it.

Probably. But damn, I really want to win this league. And I still think we can.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I know Pompey didn’t win, but they will be delighted with today’s results given Bolton and Barnsley slipped up.

Games are running out.

Given the inconsistencies Pompey are probably only 5 more wins away from promotion.

89 points will be enough for second place. Avoid defeat to Bolton and win 5 of the last 8 + a draw and that will probably do it.

Today’s results puts pressure on the teams below us 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Games are running out.

They still have some work to do, 4 of their next 7 games are Posh, Barnsley, us & Bolton. They're away at Posh the same day as we play Bolton at home, then we have Northampton the same day as they have Barnsley.

We're 5 behind them at the moment, if we're less than that by the time we play them then it could be a nervous situation for them, and we will hopefully have our tails up. I don't think we'll catch them unless we beat them at their place, so it's a really tough ask, but 4 teams neck and neck chasing them down is going to cause a lot of pressure. Two or three bad results and they don't just lose top spot, they could quite easily fall to 4th or 5th.

They're favourites by far, but it's going to go right to the end.

Couple of comments online from Gas fans…

“Derby probably the best team we’ve played all season. Just quicker to everything and always had an extra man in attack.

Wasn’t Gayle’s goal though. Their number 7 scored and the ref didn’t give it despite it being 2 yards over the line. Then in the scramble it probably hit Gayle and went in off his arm on the ground.“

“If that was 10-0 I’d have no complaints. Good of a team and fans I’ve seen come here.”

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Interesting hearing Barkhuizen saying he’s been given a bit of a freer role than he’s normally had in his career, is that…dare I say it…evidence that the coaching staff might be getting something out of him as a player? 

He definitely does in this formation. Admittedly only seen the goals today, but he was in some really different positions last week. 

Best performance since the turn of the year that for me (not hard, granted), accounting for the quality of the opposition. Controlled the vast majority of the game, zipped the ball around with pace and purpose, and eventually created some real good quality chances second half. Probably lucky to have the clean sheet, but equally unlucky to have only scored 3. 

Real good match of football - why can’t we pass like that every week? Maybe the pitch being as s**** as ours helped us! 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

He definitely does in this formation. Admittedly only seen the goals today, but he was in some really different positions last week. 

He does seem to “go missing” occasionally but then you see him and NML dovetailing together on the counter or him popping up with a great finish like earlier and it’s hard for me to deny he’s an asset in this squad