How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

20 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I might be over-thinking this but I reckon we’ll go on a decent run after the international break.  Maybe not unbeaten but a decent points per game.

This is going to sound bizarre but we’ll be entering the hectic part of the season where we’ll have a lot of games. With cup games there’ll be quite a few midweek games, so a lot of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.  PW has been quite vocal about his dislike for a busy schedule.  But I think we’ll do better in this period, just look at last season. Ironically we’ll benefit from less time on the training ground, less time to over-think and more just getting on with it and dealing with the games.  When we’ve had more time on the training ground in an international break, we’ve put in a poor performance.

I think he’s a good man manager and good at building a strong team ethic and relationships. I just think he’s a bit one dimensional when it comes to football and tactics.  If he had better tacticians around him, I think he’d do a lot better.

We've heard that said before the last two international breaks.

13 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s a goal scoring machine at notts county who might disagree 

Any evidence to back up what appears to be yet more speculation and supposition?

McGoldrick said the following when he joined Notts;

He said: "It has been a difficult decision for me to leave Derby County, but it has been a huge ambition of mine to play for Notts County again before the end of my career.

"I’ve been honest and open with both Paul Warne and the club about it in recent weeks and they’ve been supportive and understanding.

“If it wasn’t for the fact that I had the chance to return to Notts, it would have been a no-brainer to stay at Derby - regardless of interest from any other club.

"I really enjoyed working under the gaffer and his staff, playing alongside the lads and, of course, performing in front of the brilliant fans at Pride Park. I want to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome in the last year.

"I had a wonderful season with Derby and to score 25 goals and three hat-tricks made it such an enjoyable time, the best in terms of goals for me personally in a season, and actually made the decision such a difficult one.

"I’ve had many conversations with the gaffer over the last few weeks and he really did do everything he could to keep me at Derby but, in the end, I have decided to go with my heart and return to Notts."

Source - https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23581552.ipswich-town-former-striker-david-mcgoldrick-signs-notts-county/

Warne clearly has some limitations as a manager, plenty of things that can be articulated and supported with evidence as many posters on here do (some of the regular observations include lack of game time for youth players, one dimensional tactics, a lack of in-game management, using players in unfamiliar positions on the pitch). The unsubstantiated claims about his man-management being a failing in the face of evidence to the contrary isn’t the bold statement you and others seem to think it is. 

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s a goal scoring machine at notts county who might disagree 

Is there? Did he say something different - genuine question as I didn't see this. Assuming you meant Didsy? What did he say?

On 06/11/2023 at 19:47, RoyMac5 said:

I'm curious about what recent evidence you have of Warne being a good man manager? Do you think Bradley will agree or Hourihane?

I think @Caerphilly Ram has pretty much answered that for me 👍.  I think multiple player interviews, here and Rotherham, clips from We Are Derby, etc seem to support the view.  And the busy period last season when we went a long unbeaten run support the view as, in my view, that’s more about man management to keep the players going and motivated than develop tactics and formations on the training ground.

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

I’d say Warne’s careless way of speaking to the media about his players is likely to be part of the reason. Including about McGoldrick. 

You might say that but that doesn’t make it true.

I’d say the overwhelming reason McGoldrick went to Notts County is, as he said, a chance to end his career at the club he supports (or words to that effect). 

Anyway, McGoldrick did OK under Warne’s man management style didn’t he? The best goal return rate in his career.

14 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’d say Warne’s careless way of speaking to the media about his players is likely to be part of the reason. Including about McGoldrick. 

Still may favourite.  Can't beat your own manager beating out a cut price sale for one of your best players

Of the bids that Derby have received for Knight, Warne added: "I don't think the offers that we've had for him have been offensive and they're not way off.But as always, the value of anything is in the purchase and not the seller. I could want to sell my house for 300 grand. But if I get three offers for 200 grand, I ain't getting 300 grand for it.

2 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I think @Caerphilly Ram has pretty much answered that for me 👍.  I think multiple player interviews, here and Rotherham, clips from We Are Derby, etc seem to support the view.  And the busy period last season when we went a long unbeaten run support the view as, in my view, that’s more about man management to keep the players going and motivated than develop tactics and formations on the training ground.

The only real evidence is the results which I would say suggest that Warne isn't a good man manager.  Not at Derby at least.  

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

McGoldrick did not have his arm twisted to say he enjoyed working with Warne and his staff, in the comments shared earlier in the thread. He could have just not mentioned them had he wanted to.

On 06/11/2023 at 01:21, Eddie said:

I'm trying to be quite fair about things here. I've never happily tolerated the obtuse. 

Intelligence can be a curse. I reckon I'd be much happier with a window-licker intellect.

Thought the mask was to stop you licking windows 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

McGoldrick did not have his arm twisted to say he enjoyed working with Warne and his staff, in the comments shared earlier in the thread. He could have just not mentioned them had he wanted to.

Exactly. If his feelings about Warne’s management style was pretty neutral then he might well have said nice things about him just to be polite. However, I find it hard to believe that he would have said such things if he really didn’t like his style.

13 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to deal with such tripe is to just ignore it (from now on). Absolutely stupid statement, contrary to all the facts. He just wants his moment of glory on the Forum. Just ignore his posts and this will annoy him rather than feeding his frenzy by responding.

38 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to deal with such tripe is to just ignore it (from now on). Absolutely stupid statement, contrary to all the facts. He just wants his moment of glory on the Forum. Just ignore his posts and this will annoy him rather than feeding his frenzy by responding.

Who 😉

Why do “supporters” of Derby County make detrimental stuff up? why do they swear on National TV having a go at the current head coach? why do they swear at their current players?

What do they think this achieves? does it make them feel any better as a person? does it help their fellow supporters out? does it help the head coach, does it help the players, does it help promote or demote the reputation of Derby County Supporters around the world of football, and does it help Derby County Football Club?

When we rallied together to save our club, was this the objective a few months later, to try to drag it back into the mud? or would we all be better off helping each other build Derby County back up to its full strength by supporting the club?

Anyway I’m off back to work to look for mole holes then dig another grave in the pouring rain in the deep mud before attending another strangers funeral where I nod my head down in respect to a mourning family, only hoping the person passing, has had a happy life and respected everything and everyone, whilst being alive, especially those that they love. 

Up David Clowes

Up Paul Warne

Up Derby County Football Club

D.C.F.C, Life, Love & Unity 🤍🖤🐏

The Pogues

If I should fall from grace with God

Where no doctor can relieve me
If I'm buried in the sod
But the angels won't receive me

… Let me go, boys, let me go, boys
Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry

… This land was always ours
It was the proud land of our fathers
It belongs to us and them
Not to any of the others

… Let them go, boys, let them go, boys
Let them go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry

… Bury me at sea
Where no murdered ghost can haunt me
If I rock upon the waves
And no corpse can lie upon me

… If I should fall from grace with God
Where no doctor can relieve me
If I'm buried in the sand
But the angels won't receive me

75AA3D53-F6A5-44AE-A13D-FFE796E27C1C.jpeg

Watched Rotherham play Ipswich last night and what has that got to do with us I hear you say lol 

well…for starters Rotherham really do reflect how we try and play ( except for last two matches )?they really do !!

very industrial and not great to watch and nearly scored from a few set pieces with players like Morrison being pivotal for them 

Then there was Ipswich , played out from the back very attack minded and looked very bright and inventive in a game where they wasn’t quite at it according to the commentator 

The two teams were miles apart in terms of fluidity and ideas and I certainly know who I’d rather watch 

Ipswich we’re in L1 last season and are playing some really good stuff 

it is no coincidence that there style of play is bringing good resuits 

This is why I think it’s imperative that PW gets us playing decent football that will carry on into the Championship 

I really want Warne to succeeed but have serious doubts he is the manager to implement a style that won’t look like a Rotherham 

Edited by S8TY