How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

11 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

McGoldrick did not have his arm twisted to say he enjoyed working with Warne and his staff, in the comments shared earlier in the thread. He could have just not mentioned them had he wanted to.

Yes you’re right of course. But he would have understood that to skulk away and in particular to have criticised Warne would have damaged the club. And he’d had too good a season - and imo he’s too decent a guy - to want to stick the boot in. 

35 minutes ago, David said:

If we keep this topic going, we're only a page or two away from accusing Paul Warne of the JFK assassination, creating Covid and responsible for the price increase of Freddo bars.

Was it not him then ? What’s his shot accuracy stats with a rifle ?

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Exactly. If his feelings about Warne’s management style was pretty neutral then he might well have said nice things about him just to be polite. However, I find it hard to believe that he would have said such things if he really didn’t like his style.

Didzy’s got class that’s all it’s telling you 

6 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Didzy’s got class that’s all it’s telling you 

So where did your suggestion that McGoldrick would disagree with Warne being a good man manager come from? What brought you to that conclusion? Was it based on anything other than your own opinion of Warne? 

1 hour ago, David said:

If we keep this topic going, we're only a page or two away from accusing Paul Warne of the JFK assassination, creating Covid and responsible for the price increase of Freddo bars.

Don't get me on the topic (sic) of shrinkflation!  Chocolate bars are now smaller yet cost proportionately more.  Freddos used to weigh 20g, they're now nearly half that.  Large dairy milk went from 200g to 180g, yet the price stayed the same. As did the smaller ones, losing 4g simply by having square corners not round, with no change to the price.   Mars are something like 20% smaller.   I could go on but fortunately for everyone here I have a meeting I need to prep for......

34 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

So where did your suggestion that McGoldrick would disagree with Warne being a good man manager come from? What brought you to that conclusion? Was it based on anything other than your own opinion of Warne? 

My own opinion of Warne’s man management isn’t just plucked out of the air. I started posting in late ‘22 that the way he speaks about his players in interviews was a recipe for an unhappy dressing room. There was a specific comment about McGoldrick - relating to an injury (I’m guessing, but maybe around Nov 22) where Warne tried to be funny whilst taking a dig at Didzy. It was careless., misjudged and disrespectful. Warne has so far as I can see stopped doing this now - last time I can remember him at it was when he was speaking about Bird’s transfer.  It’s the sort of thing he could perhaps get away with at Rotherham but many ‘bigger’ players won’t put up with it. Even before Didzy left, I would have assumed his and Warne’s relationship was frosty. 

Then Didzy left, having had his best season ever and with the weekly adulation of 26,000 people ringing in his ears. The timing of that move didn’t stack up for me (for football or financial reasons) tho I accept there’s plenty to debate in that. I think that if he’d enjoyed playing for Warne he would have stayed. 

I don’t mind people questioning the opinion in that last sentence but it’s not plucked out of thin air. 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

My own opinion of Warne’s man management isn’t just plucked out of the air. I started posting in late ‘22 that the way he speaks about his players in interviews was a recipe for an unhappy dressing room. There was a specific comment about McGoldrick - relating to an injury (I’m guessing, but maybe around Nov 22) where Warne tried to be funny whilst taking a dig at Didzy. It was careless., misjudged and disrespectful. Warne has so far as I can see stopped doing this now - last time I can remember him at it was when he was speaking about Bird’s transfer.  It’s the sort of thing he could perhaps get away with at Rotherham but many ‘bigger’ players won’t put up with it. Even before Didzy left, I would have assumed his and Warne’s relationship was frosty. 

Then Didzy left, having had his best season ever and with the weekly adulation of 26,000 people ringing in his ears. The timing of that move didn’t stack up for me (for football or financial reasons) tho I accept there’s plenty to debate in that. I think that if he’d enjoyed playing for Warne he would have stayed. 

I don’t mind people questioning the opinion in that last sentence but it’s not plucked out of thin air. 

Again, thank you for clarifying. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view. I find it very difficult to listen to Warne without throwing the radio at a wall. I'd certainly find it very difficult to work for him for any length of time.

I did have the opportunity to watch the team for a couple of hours prior to an away game last year and they didn't seem particulary happy or cohesive. You could argue that they were just calm/focussed etc. but I don't think it was that.

39 minutes ago, NOTSA74 said:

I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view. I find it very difficult to listen to Warne without throwing the radio at a wall. I'd certainly find it very difficult to work for him for any length of time.

I did have the opportunity to watch the team for a couple of hours prior to an away game last year and they didn't seem particulary happy or cohesive. You could argue that they were just calm/focussed etc. but I don't think it was that.

Depends if he communicates with the players in the same way as he answers interview questions. I suspect he can’t help himself to an extent but doubt it’s quite the same.

Out of interest, how did you manage to watch the team for a couple of hours prior to an away game? What we’re they doing for all that time?

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Depends if he communicates with the players in the same way as he answers interview questions. I suspect he can’t help himself to an extent but doubt it’s quite the same.

Out of interest, how did you manage to watch the team for a couple of hours prior to an away game? What we’re they doing for all that time?

It was 10am-12pm in a hotel prior to an evening kick off. I'd arranged a meeting there with a customer (partly to justify the hospitality I'd booked for the game). We got coffee and set up our laptops then Derby County walked in - only the three of us and them in the bar/reception area. Richie Barker held what sounded like tactical meetings with players a couple of tables down from us.

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

If I was at didzy stage career ,would I leave Man U playing in front of 70 k adoring fans to finish my career at derby ? You better bet I would walk all the way from Manchester 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

No no no. He has the microphone. If he uses it to belittle players there are some who will not forgive him. 

Firstly,  to help me accept your point, can you give me three examples of when he has belittled players (including Didzy given you suggested that was one of the reasons he left Derby) on the radio/TV?

Secondly, the statement “some who will not forgive him” is your assumption and not necessarily fact. For all we know they may just shrug off any such comments (depending on there severity) as part of being a footballer. 

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Secondly, the statement “some who will not forgive him” is your assumption and not necessarily fact. For all we know they may just shrug off any such comments (depending on there severity) as part of being a footballer. 

Have you forgotten that Jack Marriot was so traumatised by various managers calling him 'a bit lazy' in training, that he needed to play several hundred rounds of golf every season to just to restore his yin-yang balance?