How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

39 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Partially correct. Under LR we were, indeed, employing too slow a tempo of ball circulation. However, that was not what he wanted. He said in several interviews he wanted the ball played faster. That was backed up by interviews with Sibs and other players confirming that was, indeed, what LR wanted, more urgency through the thirds. The players didn't deliver. Could they have? IMO most certainly. That begs the question, WHY? Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that. 

image.png.3afdc1eaf2d65586e151a1eea2a1afd2.png

How we lined up against Oxford, first game of the season for Rosenior.

image.png.0da7f968713e6310180381ef42038f14.png

And how we lined up for his last game against Wycombe.

Maybe Rosenior should have stuck with his earlier line up? 😉 😄 

Anyway what a difference having a mobile striker makes? #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Both sides you painstakingly listed in a graphic had the problem of not moving the ball through the thirds quickly. Slow ball circulation. LR had said repeatedly he wanted a higher tempo, players agreed that that was what he wanted. They didn't deliver.

I asked why the circulation was still slow.

Your graphic, IMO, doesn't answer the question except maybe in your own mind.

IMO your graph

3 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Both sides you painstakingly listed in a graphic had the problem of not moving the ball through the thirds quickly. Slow ball circulation. LR had said repeatedly he wanted a higher tempo, players agreed that that was what he wanted. They didn't deliver.

I asked why the circulation was still slow.

Your graphic, IMO, doesn't answer the question except maybe in your own mind.

IMO your graph

They were lineups from the Beeb website, no effort needed. Rosenior didn't get a year to put his style into being. 

You're missing the point about how much farther along we are.

Edited by RoyMac5

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The thread is about how Warne survives. I pointed out how we set up last season. Fair enough you didn't get the link.

... and someone posted about LR and the slow ball circulation, IN THIS THREAD, which prompted my reply, also in this thread. Threads, just like conversations at work or in the pub, tend to have their boundaries stretched. Nothing strange there...

I play a little bit of golf (not well). A phrase my buddy hears me say far too often is "a tee shot is only as good as the 2nd shot" when, after nailing a 280yd blondie, you then shank your 2nd shot. 

Last night's game was like that for me. Great first shot, let's see what he does for his 2nd before we believe he's cracked it. 

On 01/11/2023 at 09:22, RoyMac5 said:

I watched it. The crowd were fairly quiet you should have shouted a bit louder kash.

We played football on the deck under Rosenior. There was an abundance of possession across the back at times and I wasn't his biggest fan. But after more than a year of Warne we are back to where he started.

You watched it on TV.....nothing wrong with that but you would appreciate the sound and atmosphere if you had attended the game live...I remember you saying you haven't been to a game in a long time.

It's hard to judge via a monitor.

You may even have enjoyed it,it was a nice change to some other games this season and that made it all the more enjoyable.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You watched it on TV.....nothing wrong with that but you would appreciate the sound and atmosphere if you had attended the game live...I remember you saying you haven't been to a game in a long time.

It's hard to judge via a monitor.

You may even have enjoyed it,it was a nice change to some other games this season and that made it all the more enjoyable.

There's plenty of comments from people who went who said it was quiet. You buy me two tickets and a 5 gallon of petrol and we'll be there.

Edited by RoyMac5

On 01/11/2023 at 09:19, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Credit to warnes management team where it's due,the changes last night were effective and there was a lot of attractive football on display.

Let's hope it continues.

It was a hugely improved performance. Interestingly, when I watched Warnes preach presser, he was saying that he didn't think Saturday -tuesday gave him long enough to have a material influence on the team.

So how are we seeing these big shifts in performance, if it's not really much to do with the management?

In the interests of fairness the question is equality relevant in both directions....

A win against Barnsley and disgruntled voices will quieten. A win playing the same sparkling stuff as last time out and he's good until Xmas and beyond.

By the same token, it's fair to say that a return to 'sling it down the flanks' footy will see support ebb further. Each time we've seen green shoots to date, they've quickly withered and died and Warne and his recruits must now show they have the stomach for the fight ahead and that they can add consistency to the occasional good attacking performance.

This league is not for the faint-hearted and Warne has to show he is not afraid to let the players take risks against the better sides. He's got a strong looking defence in situ now, so there are noe excuses from here on out. In fairness, the same comment applies to the players themselves. We are regualarly told they are the best squad in the league; if that's true, now is the time to show it.

COYR

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So how are we seeing these big shifts in performance, if it's not really much to do with the management?

I’m not saying it’s the only factor, and we played well enough on Tuesday night to have beaten pretty much anyone in the league, but to me the obvious answer to your question from the last 4 games is that Shrewsbury and Stevenage gave us little to no time on the ball whereas Exeter and Northampton couldn’t/didn’t stop us playing.

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

He will make life easier for himself by stringing a few successive victories together. When was the last time we won 2 league games on the bounce? March perhaps?  
I still feel like he doesn’t have any tactical know how. We really need to be giving Barnsley a good game next Saturday.

If this was his first season I may have thought the same but we went on a 17 game unbeaten run last season,so presumably they do have some ability to produce suitable tactics.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

2 hours ago, jameso said:

I’m not saying it’s the only factor, and we played well enough on Tuesday night to have beaten pretty much anyone in the league, but to me the obvious answer to your question from the last 4 games is that Shrewsbury and Stevenage gave us little to no time on the ball whereas Exeter and Northampton couldn’t/didn’t stop us playing.

Agree, we have to get the ball down and play when under pressure, not resort to like for like.