How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

On 01/11/2023 at 10:30, Foreveram said:

Breaking news, owner speaks to manager in prearranged meeting.Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

Well in that ‘pre-arranged meeting’ Mr Clowes must have said, ‘FFS Paul, how about playing some exciting football that our fans can actually enjoy before you end up emptying the stands’, because the football on Tuesday was a transformation from the rubbish I watched at Stevenage. Long may it continue.

4 hours ago, jameso said:

I’m not saying it’s the only factor, and we played well enough on Tuesday night to have beaten pretty much anyone in the league, but to me the obvious answer to your question from the last 4 games is that Shrewsbury and Stevenage gave us little to no time on the ball whereas Exeter and Northampton couldn’t/didn’t stop us playing.

A point I've made a few times. Every game, there's an opposition who will do their level best to stop us doing whatever is in the plan for that game. Northampton had conceded an average of 1.21 goals per game prior to Tuesday. Their goals against tally rose by 23.5% that night. I don't believe they are as bad as that performance. Nor do I think we are as all conquering as we were Tuesday. The truth lies somewhere in between.

I think other teams will look at our games thus far this season and come to the conclusion that "get into 'em n feck 'em off" is a tactic this squad can't counter and we will see most opponents adopt that strategy. We need a Seth Johnson/George Thorne type in January to add steel to the team. I had hoped Fornah was going to be just that, he might still be but his last 3 appearances have not filled anyone with confidence.

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Agree, we have to get the ball down and play when under pressure, not resort to like for like. 

I half-agree - the main thing we need to do is match them for tenacity and bravery. If they out-battle us, we're not likely to get much chance to play them off the park.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I think other teams will look at our games thus far this season and come to the conclusion that "get into 'em n feck 'em off" is a tactic this squad can't counter and we will see most opponents adopt that strategy. We need a Seth Johnson/George Thorne type in January to add steel to the team. I had hoped Fornah was going to be just that, he might still be but his last 3 appearances have not filled anyone with confidence.

If opponents are really shortening the width of their pitch - almost creating the cage! - then the prognosis isn't currently too good for our being able to counter that tactic. We're football lovers, not fighters.

On our own pitch we should be able to get around it with performances like Tuesday night - though you are probably right that Northampton haven't been as bad as that all season... comments from both their manager and the fan who posted here would suggest that was out of character for them.

8 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

the only way warne survives is more exeter and northamptons,and no more of the turgid dross he's been serving up in all the other games.concentrate on how we play,instead of over thinking,and trying to match the opposition

Warne has never had a problem beating the pub teams in the bottom 6 , it’s the “Big boys “ in the top 6 that cause us problems . Starting with Barnsley would be a good 3 points. Can’t see an F A cup run saving his job.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Not if all the others get points deducted 😉😂

I wouldn't put is past WW3 to break out and the season being annulled tbf! Or perhaps a civil war just involving our own fans.

That said I'm not sure they'd do a final table on a ppg basis with less than half the season gone, so we're probably just going to have to do it the hard way.

So reading what people have written:

We can play decent football on the ground when teams let us do so e.g. Exeter & Northampton

When we play teams that get in our faces and are aggressive when the revert to Warne Hoofball.

I just don’t get that. So people think Warne tells players to just hoof it away if under pressure? Surely not. If they players aren’t good enough to be able to take care of themselves and the ball  or work a little extra hard to help out a team mate by making themselves available for a pass - then this is surely down to the players not being good enough or mentally strong enough.

I’m pretty sure Warne would want them to play the way they did against Northampton/Exeter and he is frustrated when they don’t, just as we are.

Thoughts?

41 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

So reading what people have written:

We can play decent football on the ground when teams let us do so e.g. Exeter & Northampton

When we play teams that get in our faces and are aggressive when the revert to Warne Hoofball.

I just don’t get that. So people think Warne tells players to just hoof it away if under pressure? Surely not. If they players aren’t good enough to be able to take care of themselves and the ball  or work a little extra hard to help out a team mate by making themselves available for a pass - then this is surely down to the players not being good enough or mentally strong enough.

I’m pretty sure Warne would want them to play the way they did against Northampton/Exeter and he is frustrated when they don’t, just as we are.

Thoughts?

It’s difficult to play decent football and pitches like Shrewsbury and Stevenage have.  

53 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Well, listening to his pre match, he still wants us to get it out wide quicker as it got bogged down in the middle too often for his liking.

Good, bad, who knows!

2 of the goals on Tuesday came from moves out wide and partially for Bird’s 2nd goals. Nothing wrong with going wide if it is done with quality. I think what annoys people is the aimless ball down the wings - which in fairness happens when people are under pressure or no one has moved into space for a pass. Still think most of it is down to the players, not Warne’s tactics per se.

I think much of Tuesday's upturn is Warne stepping back and letting the players do what they do for themselves, almost as if he had a paddy and said “Stuff it. It’s up to you guys now”. It all hinges on what happens from this point on.

When I was growing up my dad ran a mobile shop business from home, which meant there was stock everywhere, in the garage, two sheds and a coal house, with empty bottles and crates stuffed wherever he could put them. My brother, sister and I were allocated a patch of garden to tend and nurture, and each spring we would be excited to see the green shoots of whatever we had planted starting to spring up. But dad would inevitably have a large stock delivery at that time, meaning loads of crates and bottles would get dumped onto our bits of garden, and the green shoots would be crushed and gone.

Each time the team had played some actual football, we have got excited at the sight of the “green shoots”, only for the next match to arrive and the shoots, and our hopes are crushed and destroyed by “hoof it and cross it to no-one”.

I never, ever got to see anything fruitful from my little bit of garden, but really, really hope, all these years later, to see the repetitive crushing of all hope get broken, and Paul sends the lads out to play football,  leaving the other team to worry about what we are  going to do to them.

Edited by DavesaRam

7 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I think much of Tuesday's upturn is Warne stepping back and letting the players do what they do for themselves, almost as if he had a paddy and said “Stuff it. It’s up to you guys now”. It all hinges on what happens from this point on.

When I was growing up my dad ran a mobile shop business from home, which meant there was stock everywhere, in the garage, two sheds and a coal house, with empty bottles and crates stuffed wherever he could put them. My brother, sister and I were allocated a patch of garden to tend and nurture, and each spring we would excited to see the green shoots of whatever we had planted starting to spring up. But dad would inevitably have a large stock delivery at that time, meaning loads of crates and bottles would get dumped onto our buts of garden, and the green shoots would be crushed and gone.

Eqch tome the team had played some actual football, we gave got excited at the sight of the “green shoots”, only fir the next match to arrive and the shoots, and our hopes are crushed and destroyed by “hoof it and cross it to no-one”.

I never, ever got to see anything fruitful from my little bit of garden, but really, really hope, all these years later, to see the repetitive crushing of all hope get broken, and Paul sends the lads out to play football,  leaving the other team to worry about what we are  going to do to them.

Plant/play weeds, they survive anything! 

shopping.jpeg.jpg

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

Plant/play weeds, they survive anything! 

shopping.jpeg.jpg

Nooooooooo. You know how the song goes!

We all hate weeds, and weeds and weeds.Weeds and weeds and weeds and weeds. Weeds and weeds and weeds and weeds. 

We all f****** hate weeds!

Edited by May Contain Nuts