How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

This is going to sound ‘obvious’ but I think most people felt Roseniors football was boring because we weren’t scoring. 

Now after stating the obvious drill down into it. In every game under Rosenior we comfortably outperformed the other side for xG - I know some of you are scared of stats and only care about ‘goals scored’ but it is a fairly objective metric for quality of chances created. If he’d had McG instead of Collins in that run of matches I believe the goals would have been there and the passing between defenders waiting for space to be created wouldn’t have felt so numbingly dull. When you’re a big fish you have to take a chance sooner than later so the other team can’t camp in their half. 

The way I see it is under Rosenior we lost matches we shouldn’t have but we never looked second best in our overall performance. We always controlled the game (granted not always as quickly as we liked but he’d only had about 11 games with that squad of players and a much interrupted pre season), we did create enough chances to win. Our finishing was just the worst I’d ever seen it. 

The game against Northampton (although poor opposition) can be the blue print to our success under Warne if we are to achieve it. Physical and aggressive to win the ball back but cultured and composed with the ball. Ball moved side to side quickly To create space. Ball moved forwards into space with purpose, low and hard. Again we weren’t playing world beaters but it was a perfect game to try and come up with a plan moving forwards as it felt like a training game at times. 

So many less aimless smashes up field (of which Cash has been plenty guilty). 

I’d go as far as to say Bradley’s distribution was the best of any defender in any match this season and should be showed to the rest of the defence on loop all week. 

39 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is going to sound ‘obvious’ but I think most people felt Roseniors football was boring because we weren’t scoring. 

Now after stating the obvious drill down into it. In every game under Rosenior we comfortably outperformed the other side for xG - I know some of you are scared of stats and only care about ‘goals scored’ but it is a fairly objective metric for quality of chances created. If he’d had McG instead of Collins in that run of matches I believe the goals would have been there and the passing between defenders waiting for space to be created wouldn’t have felt so numbingly dull. When you’re a big fish you have to take a chance sooner than later so the other team can’t camp in their half. 

The way I see it is under Rosenior we lost matches we shouldn’t have but we never looked second best in our overall performance. We always controlled the game (granted not always as quickly as we liked but he’d only had about 11 games with that squad of players and a much interrupted pre season), we did create enough chances to win. Our finishing was just the worst I’d ever seen it. 

The game against Northampton (although poor opposition) can be the blue print to our success under Warne if we are to achieve it. Physical and aggressive to win the ball back but cultured and composed with the ball. Ball moved side to side quickly To create space. Ball moved forwards into space with purpose, low and hard. Again we weren’t playing world beaters but it was a perfect game to try and come up with a plan moving forwards as it felt like a training game at times. 

I’d go as far as to say Bradley’s distribution was the best of any defender in any match this season and should be showed to the rest of the defence on loop all week. 

Completely agree and a big shout out to Sonny too, his passing through the lines set us on the front foot and was a fresh change from hoof ball!

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

The bit I would pull you on is some being scared of stats , I very much pull up the over reliance on stats by some and perhaps a feeling that they are proof of an opinion on a game or run of games , even on stuff like players pass success percentage they often don’t tally with what I’ve watched , they can and are used to often to indicate a player is a poor passer in a game when in the game I’ve watched it’s often the fault of teammates not giving options to the player on the ball , that said I actually find them interesting and informative to a certain degree when viewed as an addition whilst being aware of they’re limitations 🤷🏻‍♂️,

there were games under rosenior where we were poor and didn’t control the game but I think we have to be fair and say our poor stuff under rosenior and warne are followed by each manager saying that’s not how he wants the players to be playing and under both it seems the bit they want is faster crisper passing and I’ve seen stuff under both managers where that has been on show , I bet if you put a video of all goals scored under warne there’s been some bloody good football in there too ,

the main crux of your post is right though , goals and wins are the true measure 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

Surely after this he cannot survive ?

Do you honestly think he would have been sacked even if the score had remained 2:0?

There was zero chance of that happening I'd say. As @Mckram says, it would take an extended run of defeats in the league for Clowes to act in the short term rather than losing away in the FA Cup.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you honestly think he would have been sacked even if the score had remained 2:0?

There was zero chance of that happening I'd say. As @Mckram says, it would take an extended run of defeats in the league for Clowes to act in the short term rather than losing away in the FA Cup.

Sadly i agree.