How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

I think we've reached the point now, when a manager starts clutching at straws, desperately trying something new to stave off the seemingly inevitable parting of the ways. 

I'd imagine tomorrow's training session will see Sonny Badley up front, Josh Vickers banging it long up to him, and James Collins so far offside he's mostly retrieving the ball for goal kicks. 

Warne will return to the managers office in despair, coffee in one hand, Winter 2023/23 holiday brochure in the other.

He'll thump his head on the desk in sheer frustration, and begin typing out his resignation letter. 

"FFS, even this desk is against me" he'll moan, as his fingers struggle to hit the right keys as the table wobbles precariously back and forth.

Investigating further, he realises the force of the head butt has dislodged a dusty old folder being used to even out the wonky desk legs. 

He picks up the folder, expecting its probably just some old accounting ledger we didn't want the EFL to see, and wipes the dust from the cover.

'The Steve McClaren playbook'.

He opens it gingerly, like Indiana Jones opened the Ark, and gazes in rapt wonder at its contents. 

He realises, for the first time in his life, that the ball serves its purpose better on the floor, passing can be better than running, and effort is no substitute for ability. 

He slides the holiday brochure back under the table leg, and sets to work typing up his new vision of football management, ready to impart this knowledge of his staff and players, and before we know it, the Rams are flying up the table. 

All I needed was time, he'll declare to the local media upon automatic promotion in April 2024.

Prologue.

It's October 2024, and the Rams are struggling to establish themselves back in the Championship.  

The fans are unhappy, the owner's coming under pressure to make a change, so Paul dips once again into his managerial bible. 

It's done him so well, so far, but try as he might he can't find any answers. 

He knows there's a section called Plan B, but he's never had to delve that deeply, all his prayers had been answered in the first section, so he was saving Plan B for the Prem. 

Needs must though, so he turns the page eagerly.  

Plan B.

It's blank, obviously, apart from a picture of a giant mug, and a Newcastle telephone no.

Monday morning, there is a change.

Warne has a heart to heart with the squad.

The squad openly express their views about the way we play.

They talk about it for 20 minutes and decide the actually they need to run harder.

Results remain indifferent.

However, Paul warne survives by always being one step ahead of DCs assassination attempts. For he found a copy of Castro's book "How to not be assassinated by the CIA"

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yoyo GIF

Well he's rediscovered how we played when he took over! #dejavu

We weren't playing like that when warne took over Roy,all we did under rosenior was play side to side,endless pointless passing football,this was nothing like that.

Last night's performance was a vast improvement to that style.

Swift and accurate passing,the ball going through the middle as well as the wings and 4 lovely,technical finishes.

You would have enjoyed it if you had been there,I did and I've been a critic of our gameplay not being slick or enjoyable enough.

Credit to warnes management team where it's due,the changes last night were effective and there was a lot of attractive football on display.

Let's hope it continues.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We weren't playing like that when warne took over Roy,all we did under rosenior was play side to side,endless pointless passing football,this was nothing like that.

Last night's performance was a vast improvement to that style.

Swift and accurate passing,the ball going through the middle as well as the wings and 4 lovely,technical finishes.

You would have enjoyed it if you had been there,I did and I've been a critic of our gameplay not being slick or enjoyable enough.

Credit to warne management team where it's due.

I watched it. The crowd were fairly quiet you should have shouted a bit louder kash.

We played football on the deck under Rosenior. There was an abundance of possession across the back at times and I wasn't his biggest fan. But after more than a year of Warne we are back to where he started.

2 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Pity you are not as classy as the name you use! Bet you had a sleepless night after a Derby win and good performance.

Nope. You are wrong but no surprise you have to make personal comments. 

We played football not hoof-it-wide-and-across ball, I'm always happy to see Derby play football and win. I love Birdy and wanted him to get a hat-trick. But never mind if it makes you happy to think Derby fans want their Club to fail.

Just now, Dcfcsr92 said:

I agree let's see how Saturday goes before everyone getting too excited! We have been here already this season, now we have to kick on and show this level of performance week in week out.

Yep. Nothing I'd like more than to get out of this league this season, even with Warne as manager - but you know really all I care about is sacking Warne. 😄

37 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

I agree let's see how Saturday goes before everyone getting too excited! We have been here already this season, now we have to kick on and show this level of performance week in week out.

Hopefully nobody is actually getting carried away after last nights performance but, let's enjoy it whilst we can rather than resurrecting the same old Warne out agenda.

One small point of order, we don't actually play this Saturday. Perhaps you meant a week on Saturday when we play Barnsley. That will be a much fairer assessment of if we have improved rather than the next two cup games.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Partially correct. Under LR we were, indeed, employing too slow a tempo of ball circulation. However, that was not what he wanted. He said in several interviews he wanted the ball played faster. That was backed up by interviews with Sibs and other players confirming that was, indeed, what LR wanted, more urgency through the thirds. The players didn't deliver. Could they have? IMO most certainly. That begs the question, WHY? Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that.