How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Firstly,  to help me accept your point, can you give me three examples of when he has belittled players 

First thing I heard him say about Bird was that, when he met him, he was surprised how big he was. Sure, Bird might have thought nothing of it at all. Or he might have thought ‘Jesus he’s telling the world he’s looked at the tapes and thinks I play like a wimp’. Careless personal comment. The McGoldrick comment was the most concerning, because if I recall correctly there was just a suggestion Didzy was faking injury. Did Didzy just shrug it off? Maybe. Did he even hear it, who knows? But: careless, careless, careless.  The description of his conversation with Bird about a possible transfer made me cringe, because Warne managed to give the impression that Bird’s loyalty to the club was paper thin, that he didn’t care whether he stayed or left. ‘Belittle’ is too narrow - I just mean anything that could lead a player to take the hump.  
As I said about 6 posts ago, I think he’s come to understand he needs a clutch between his ego and his brain

Whether fans always hear these comments is not the point. The point is: players in common with most human beings listen very carefully to what their bosses say about them, especially if it’s said in public, and they are often proud, paranoid, prickly and prone to petulance. The best managers know how to use the microphone to motivate their men 

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

First thing I heard him say about Bird was that, when he met him, he was surprised how big he was. Sure, Bird might have thought nothing of it at all. Or he might have thought ‘Jesus he’s telling the world he’s looked at the tapes and thinks I play like a wimp’. Careless personal comment. The McGoldrick comment was the most concerning, because if I recall correctly there was just a suggestion Didzy was faking injury. Did Didzy just shrug it off? Maybe. Did he even hear it, who knows? But: careless, careless, careless.  The description of his conversation with Bird about a possible transfer made me cringe, because Warne managed to give the impression that Bird’s loyalty to the club was paper thin, that he didn’t care whether he stayed or left. ‘Belittle’ is too narrow - I just mean anything that could lead a player to take the hump.  
As I said about 6 posts ago, I think he’s come to understand he needs a clutch between his ego and his brain

Whether fans always hear these comments is not the point. The point is: players in common with most human beings listen very carefully to what their bosses say about them, especially if it’s said in public, and they are often proud, paranoid, prickly and prone to petulance. The best managers know how to use the microphone to motivate their men 

The best manager we ever had regularly used to tell his players they were “ bloody useless “

Kevin's always been a bit of a fantasist and loves a spot of projecting, if anyone cares to remember the administration thread that was always a 'fun' part of it.

There are plenty of things to fault Warne on without making stuff up.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

38 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wow. Way to make a mountain out of a molehill.

How wise of you to completely ignore the overwhelming body of evidence to suggest that man management is one of his better attributes and the multitude of comments from Warne which heap praise on his players, their characters and commitment etc.

He has faults enough without needing to make s*** up!!

41 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Whether fans hear it or not is the point if you're going to claim it happened.

Regarding how Bird's height, well if Bird got offended by that then he really is a delicate flower. No one in their right mind would consider Bird to be a shorty so I would suggest Warne meant he thought he was average height but Bird is taller.

I'd have to listen back to EXACTLY what Warne said about Didzy's injury. Same with Bird's possible transfer. From my recollection I think to suggest he was insinuating Bird's loyalty to the club was "paper thin" is a bit of an exaggeration.

OK, he can be careless but more often than not he making a poor attempt at a bit of humour. I suspect the players know that and whilst they might find it a bit irritating (as a lot of us do) I'd be surprised if they take enough offence to want to move away from the club and then be complimentary of the manager's style rather than keeping quiet on the subject. 

34 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

The best manager we ever had regularly used to tell his players they were “ bloody useless “

I remember my Dad asking one of the 71-72 team what he thought of Clough. The answer was that most of the time he hated him. That's a conversation from 1989 so I might not have the exact words but that was the gist of it. 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

If players never get a bit of the hump with managers now and again then they are multi million pound players who never dip below fantastic or the manager is bad at his job , it’s how players react and respond to negative as well as positive that matters and every player you’ve mentioned has had praise heaped on them in spades by warne too,   It makes you wonder how Brian clough ever got a tune out of any player or team he managed ,

sorry but your clutching at straws with the man management stuff on warne , total made up stuff based on how YOU would feel as a player under warne or how YOU would go about doing his job 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Absolutely not true. Find me a Brian Clough quote from the voluminous archives where he did that. You will find criticism of them falling below the strict standards of on-field discipline which he demanded and on the very rare occasions they failed to follow tactical instructions he would point that out in public. However, it was fundamental to him in following his own managerial principles he never went public on their playing performances; what was said in the dressing room stayed in the dressing room. If he had blasted one of them in there, along came Peter Taylor to put an arm around the player and explain kindly the point Clough was making. But we never got to hear about it. Clough was as loyal to his players as he expected them to be to him.

Clough invented emotional intelligence in football. Warne took a degree in emotional intelligence. Frankly, he would have been more prudent in saving his tuition fees and just buying Brian Clough's autobiography. He'd have learned a lot more.

3 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Absolutely not true. Find me a Brian Clough quote from the voluminous archives where he did that. You will find criticism of them falling below the strict standards of on-field discipline which he demanded and on the very rare occasions they failed to follow tactical instructions he would point that out in public. However, it was fundamental to him in following his own managerial principles he never went public on their playing performances; what was said in the dressing room stayed in the dressing room. If he had blasted one of them in there, along came Peter Taylor to put an arm around the player and explain kindly the point Clough was making. But we never got to hear about it. Clough was as loyal to his players as he expected them to be to him.

Clough invented emotional intelligence in football. Warne took a degree in emotional intelligence. Frankly, he would have been more prudent in saving his tuition fees and just buying Brian Clough's autobiography. He'd have learned a lot more.

What Clough did came naturally to him. It was not learned. You can study him and try to copy him but his magic came from within him 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Your points are very valid in my opinion and I often think that Warne is careless when he speaks. He seems to just shoot from the lip at times and without always engaging his brain beforehand. It weakens his claims about the use and importance of emotional intelligence. It should be a learning curve for him.

3 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

What Clough did came naturally to him. It was not learned. You can study him and try to copy him but his magic came from within him 

A lot of it was innate but a lot of it was also carefully considered beforehand. He made very good use of an unusual natural gift. Pretty impressive for the only one of eight children to fail his O Levels. But then again what good would O Levels have been to a genius? 😆🐏

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Why, he even advocated the shooting of (at least) one player, if memory serves!  👀

But in doing that he was merely giving him an instruction to follow and not calling him useless. It was at Sinfin Lane in training and the incident was when Barry Butlin decided to take a corner. Clough watched and shouted that he didn't wanted him taking corners, he wanted him in the box because he was one of the best in the club (a compliment) and concluded that it was rubbish and he wanted shooting. I don't expect that Baz took another corner! 😂

Edited by Banksy

3 minutes ago, Banksy said:

But in doing that he was merely giving him an instruction to follow and not calling him useless. It was at Sinfin Lane in training and the incident was when Barry Butlin decided to take a corner. Clough watched and shouted that he didn't wanted him taking corners, he wanted him in the box because he was one of the best in the club (a compliment) and concluded that it was rubbish and he wanted shooting. I don't expect that Baz took another corner! 😂

1/  I never said he called anyone useless.  Someone else posted that.

2/  He did, however, bellow "Aaagh!  You are a bloody disgrace", seemingly in the general direction of a targeted/specific individual.

3/  Rightly or wrongly (The latter it seems, judging by your account) I always assumed that the phrase "For missing the target from there, you want bloody shooting" referred to a training ground shot on goal, not the taking of a corner?  Shows what I know!  

4/  I like how we have diverted attention away from the much criticised Mr Warne.  Which is nice.  😁

🐏

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Looks like you're trying take offence on behalf of the players without even knowing what's going on in there head.

Without knowing Bird or McGoldrick personally, you are making some wild assumptions and connecting dots to suit this narrative where Paul Warne is this useless turnip that couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery.

The Bird one is ridiculous, The McGoldrick one.....well he scored an awful lot of goals for someone that didn't like the manager.

Yeah he left for Notts County, the club where he started his career at and spoke about wanting to finish his career there.

Using him as a stick to beat Warne with, you're basically calling him a liar for his motivations in moving to Notts County.

Which makes you no better than Warne and this accusation of fake injuries.

The last line in your post is spot on though.

"The best managers know how to use the microphone to motivate their men"

Absolutely.

Every player is different, some need criticism to start that fire in their belly, others need a cuddle and words of affirmation.

I couldn't sit here and tell you what any of the players need, 1) I have never managed a team of footballers and 2) I don't know any of the players personally.

I would imagine that would apply to most on here as well.

It's ok to not like Warne's football, his tactics, the way he talks, the way he walks and the bobble hats, but come on, all this is scraping the barrel of hate for a guy based on....well nothing really.

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

How much weight do you put on these one or two incidental comments when compared to the more positive comments he makes? 
Let’s take the Bird example you raise as a sample, that’s one comment about Bird that you’re speculating he may have taken issue with. I’m quietly confident that if I go looking I’ll find a number of quotes in which Warne talks Bird up as a good player and key to how he wants the team to play. Do those comments carry any significance when it comes to Warne’s man management or is it only when he says something that’s being perceived as negative that it matters? 

49 minutes ago, David said:

Every player is different, some need criticism to start that fire in their belly, others need a cuddle and words of affirmation.

Great line. I remember the outcry when Rooney singled Sibley out for criticism... before Louie went on to score a late equaliser V Brentford in his next performance. Horses for courses.

If we play well and win well on Saturday he will be surviving until the next bad performance and result. If however there is quite a while before that happens and in the meantime we are much improved then a lot of the doubters will have changed their tune and will forgive him a bad result.

But if we play badly and lose badly, or even frankly just lose at all on Saturday then he’s in deep trouble. There is not a lot of patience or faith left amongst the fans

“How Paul Warne Survives” is the title of the thread.

Paul Warne survives by keeping fit, enjoying food, drinking fluids and working and doing many other things in life that keeps him and others surviving.

Nice bobble hat Paul Warne.

Keep smiling.

I’m sure many posters on dcfcfans would love to buy one.

Go on treat yourself, you know you want too!

7D7763F4-C2EA-4D7E-B8D3-D619241EA16D.jpeg

6A5DFA3F-EE4E-4C8B-81BB-271E53A4F253.jpeg