How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

3 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

And you get the usual laughing emoji from Roy mac because you dared to post something positive 

I'm of the opinion that the use of the laughing emoticon just because you disagree with someone (as opposed to finding something genuinely funny) is the signature of a sub-standard intellect incapable of elucidating a coherent counter-argument.

9 minutes ago, S8TY said:

today was still better than some of the recent away performances, we dominated but our finishing was woeful on top of some poor decision making in the final third , also Fozzy and a few others had off games but still better than the dross we've been watching.

I've been critical of Warne recently but we could easily have scored 3-4 more today and we kept the ball better than recently

what we were guilty of today was too many crosses when we maybe could've worked in into feet but it seems like we are trying to keep the ball more now so lets give it a chance 

Max was excellent against Northampton but I thought Bird,Smith and Fozzy were very average today and Hourihane at times wasteful but generally speaking keep trying to play football is ok with me and will bring better results 

Also a note on Bradley, I hope his substitution doesn't mean he's dropped because I genuinely think he's made a difference in last two games 

Agree. Too many that were just fired hopefully into an area, without assessing where the Derby players were.

Having said that, quite a few found the penalty spot and there wasn’t a Derby player within six yards.

I’ve been saying it for years. Derby County seem to produce good five-a-side players who play neat football until they get to the penalty area, at which point they freeze. There seems no ambition to score a goal. They barely even celebrate when they do. 

The five-a-side approach also means we’re hopeless over head height😊

1 hour ago, sage said:

Sitting on the fence again @Eddie ?😀

I'm trying to be quite fair about things here. I've never happily tolerated the obtuse. 

Intelligence can be a curse. I reckon I'd be much happier with a window-licker intellect.

Edited by Eddie

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'm of the opinion that the use of the laughing emoticon just because you disagree with someone (as opposed to finding something genuinely funny) is the signature of a sub-standard intellect incapable of elucidating a coherent counter-argument.

Thought this was very funny but sadly won't be gifting you a laughing emoticon for...reasons...

9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree. Too many that were just fired hopefully into an area, without assessing where the Derby players were.

It was hard to fathom what was going on with that, because it wasn’t just that the crosser didn’t know where they were or how to pick them out, but that half the time they weren’t there at all in the first place!

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s not enough to look decent against the weaker sides in the league. It’s about results against the stronger sides. if we don’t get those, the gap just gets wider. 

We don't look smart enough to beat injury-hit lower league teams, yet Warne thinks we played well. If the Derby fans have high expectations then it's clear the manager's expectations are low. Soon mediocre performances will be lauded and better times forgotten. The slippery slope is being greased. #COYR

I might be over-thinking this but I reckon we’ll go on a decent run after the international break.  Maybe not unbeaten but a decent points per game.

This is going to sound bizarre but we’ll be entering the hectic part of the season where we’ll have a lot of games. With cup games there’ll be quite a few midweek games, so a lot of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.  PW has been quite vocal about his dislike for a busy schedule.  But I think we’ll do better in this period, just look at last season. Ironically we’ll benefit from less time on the training ground, less time to over-think and more just getting on with it and dealing with the games.  When we’ve had more time on the training ground in an international break, we’ve put in a poor performance.

I think he’s a good man manager and good at building a strong team ethic and relationships. I just think he’s a bit one dimensional when it comes to football and tactics.  If he had better tacticians around him, I think he’d do a lot better.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

33 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

...I think he’s a good man manager and good at building a strong team ethic and relationships. I just think he’s a bit one dimensional when it comes to football and tactics.  If he had better tacticians around him, I think he’d do a lot better.

I'm curious about what recent evidence you have of Warne being a good man manager? Do you think Bradley will agree or Hourihane?

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm curious about what recent evidence you have of Warne being a good man manager? Do you think Bradley will agree or Hourihane?

Hourihane does agree;

Conor Hourihane explained what it is like to work with Warne when he guested on Not The Top 20 Podcast's YouTube channel.

He said: "He is different in terms of how he goes about his day-to-day business with players.

"I think his ultimate strength in my opinion is his man management.

20 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s not enough to look decent against the weaker sides in the league. It’s about results against the stronger sides. if we don’t get those, the gap just gets wider. 

Ironically I thought the general consensus was we’ve been getting results against some of the stronger sides and looking poor against the weaker sides.

Wins away at Peterborough and Blackpool, a draw against Portsmouth all decent enough results in my view. The Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury games however not good enough. 

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Hourihane does agree;

Conor Hourihane explained what it is like to work with Warne when he guested on Not The Top 20 Podcast's YouTube channel.

He said: "He is different in terms of how he goes about his day-to-day business with players.

"I think his ultimate strength in my opinion is his man management.

Is that the Hourihane who says you have to play how Warne wants or you don't play?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Is that the Hourihane who says you have to play how Warne wants or you don't play?

That’s the Hourihane who on two separate podcasts this year has said Warne’s man management is a strength. 
We all know how you feel about Warne being manager of the club, you asked for evidence of what the players think of his man management and I provided some. It doesn’t match your own view of Warne, but it’s directly quoted from one of the senior figures in the squad, sometimes you can just accept the information available to you as well as holding your own opinion 

12 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I might be over-thinking this but I reckon we’ll go on a decent run after the international break.  Maybe not unbeaten but a decent points per game.

This is going to sound bizarre but we’ll be entering the hectic part of the season where we’ll have a lot of games. With cup games there’ll be quite a few midweek games, so a lot of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.  PW has been quite vocal about his dislike for a busy schedule.  But I think we’ll do better in this period, just look at last season. Ironically we’ll benefit from less time on the training ground, less time to over-think and more just getting on with it and dealing with the games.  When we’ve had more time on the training ground in an international break, we’ve put in a poor performance.

I think he’s a good man manager and good at building a strong team ethic and relationships. I just think he’s a bit one dimensional when it comes to football and tactics.  If he had better tacticians around him, I think he’d do a lot better.

Sometimes one dimensional is more than enough to get out of the lower leagues, look how Wimbledon used to be and they won the FA Cup also doing it. We might be able to do it in the EFL Cup but a lot of the fans will be happy if we all achieve the results we are trying to achieve.

A minority of fans will never be happy, with whatever style Derby play.

I still shake my head when I had to tell young fans during the Q.P.R v Derby Play Off Final to get a grip of themselves when they spent most of the game verbally attacking their own players, mostly Jamie Ward calling him all sorts, with a load of filthy uncouth words.

I get having a go at the opposing team with banter, trying to effect their game, but some fans will just never work out what “supporter” means, unfortunately.

Up The Rams 🐏