How Paul Warne survives!

Rev

Lots of Humble Pie being eaten tonight by the “Warne Outers”.  Was it Warne genius to put Wildsmith on free kick duties ? He really did put some good balls into the opposition box. There is a long way to go for Paul to win over his critics only a handful of us fans stayed after the final whistle to give him a round of applause .

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Lots of Humble Pie being eaten tonight by the “Warne Outers”.  Was it Warne genius to put Wildsmith on free kick duties ? He really did put some good balls into the opposition box. There is a long way to go for Paul to win over his critics only a handful of us fans stayed after the final whistle to give him a round of applause .

…..maybe the majority had beaten the rush to the pubs to get the round in, to celebrate. 

I’m 3 to be whatever I whatever I choose……

D1C93EA3-59E0-47BE-8798-AE04B49AB1B0.jpeg

Edited by Inverurie Ram

On 08/11/2023 at 13:50, BucksRam said:

Don't get me on the topic (sic) of shrinkflation!  Chocolate bars are now smaller yet cost proportionately more.  Freddos used to weigh 20g, they're now nearly half that.  Large dairy milk went from 200g to 180g, yet the price stayed the same. As did the smaller ones, losing 4g simply by having square corners not round, with no change to the price.   Mars are something like 20% smaller.   I could go on but fortunately for everyone here I have a meeting I need to prep for......

And wagon wheels were the size of a full size wagon wheel ?

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Not seen any humble pie dishes being served personally.

Nor would I expect to after 1 or 2 games.

The poor run we had been on stretched back some months, so that's the sort of sustained improvement I'd like to see.

But every little helps and the 2nd half in particular sounds pretty decent.

Might have had something to do with the traffic. We stayed behind to applaud and were still queuing to get off Pride Park at 6 pm.

Why the humble pie? Either Warne proves us wrong or Warne proves us right. Either way we all want what is best for the club. 

I certainly won't feel guilty for my opinion that Warne is unlikely to be the right man to take Derby forward long term. I believe that we as a club have a higher ambition than his coaching ability and footballing philosophy will be able to achieve.

Today was a good win and a good performance, so well done to Warne and the team. It still doesn't change my opinion on the above.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Why the humble pie? Either Warne proves us wrong or Warne proves us right. Either way we all want what is best for the club. 

I certainly won't feel guilty for my opinion that Warne is unlikely to be the right man to take Derby forward long term. I believe that we as a club have a higher ambition than his coaching ability and footballing philosophy will be able to achieve.

Today was a good win and a good performance, so well done to Warne and the team. It still doesn't change my opinion on the above.

I really do get that but just maybe amidst our dreams of greater things, perhaps we shouldn’t be thinking of Warne as a Clough or even a Smith. Just a manager who will do a job and set us on the first lap or two of a relay and then pass the baton to another, for the next leg. ? 

Maybe Warne isn’t the long term manager but as the short/medium term he needs our support ? Before we get a Ferrari perhaps we need to get comfortable with our modeo andget to a destination where we might get the keys to something better. 

Edited by jono

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Beating Barnsley doesn't make up for almost an entire year of turgid football.

However, I will concede that it's a good start. Credit where it's due to the team and manager.

50 minutes ago, jono said:

I really do get that but just maybe amidst our dreams of greater things, perhaps we shouldn’t be thinking of Warne as a Clough or even a Smith. Just a manager who will do a job and set us on the first lap or two of a relay and then pass the baton to another, for the next leg. ? 

Maybe Warne isn’t the long term manager but as the short/medium term he needs our support ? Before we get a Ferrari perhaps we need to get comfortable with our modeo andget to a destination where we might get the keys to something better. 

In the stadium I support the club fully. I've got a season ticket and I am never going to be one of those booing and hammering the players.

I'd be less concerned about the long term were it not for the fact Clowes seems to be thinking about Warne as a long term appointment. In the short term I'd love Warne to get us up that'd be brilliant, but we cannot tolerate the Rotherham yo-yo standards.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

There’s no reason at all why Paul Warne can’t take us up and keep us in the Championship. He’ll need smart recruitment and some investment from DC which i hope he will be prepared to give.

i know our long term aims are higher than the Championship but it would be a massive step in the right direction after all we’ve been through.

9 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

In the stadium I support the club fully. I've got a season ticket and I am never going to be one of those booing and hammering the players.

I'd be less concerned about the long term were it not for the fact Clowes seems to be thinking about Warne as a long term appointment. In the short term I'd love Warne to get us up that'd be brilliant, but we cannot tolerate the Rotherham yo-yo standards.

I think perhaps this is also a test for Warne himself. Is he a solid league 1 manager or can he create a competitive team a level higher ? I don’t think there is much difference between mid level  L1 and Championship .. just fewer individual errors and, on average, a better first touch. You’re right though on the Rotherham comparison. If we go up and don’t compete then it isn’t good enough, he’d have to go, but for me he has time at least for this season.

If we don’t go up and next season doesn’t start with us in the top two or 3  after say 5/10 games then my patience would wear thin. I just don’t want us unnecessarily pulling the trigger on yet another manager.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

Couple of good wins, playing well, scoring goals. Youngsters given a go in midweek and also getting a win

If we carry on like this he'll charm me back round 🤣

Since he was summoned for a chat with the owner a fortnight ago after the Stevenage debacle things have certainly perked up; passing more and crossing less with consequently more chances which is also more pleasing on the eye; the manager and coaches actually attending an academy game in the youth cup at Mansfield on Friday and listening to the pleas for academy lads to play a part last Wednesday.

Maybe the manager would benefit from more such friendly pep talks to help him 'rock on.' He certainly seems a little more focused at the moment 🐏.

5 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Since he was summoned for a chat with the owner a fortnight ago after the Stevenage debacle things have certainly perked up; passing more and crossing less with consequently more chances which is also more pleasing on the eye; the manager and coaches actually attending an academy game in the youth cup at Mansfield on Friday and listening to the pleas for academy lads to play a part last Wednesday.

Maybe the manager would benefit from more such friendly pep talks to help him 'rock on.' He certainly seems a little more focused at the moment 🐏.

All we need now is for him to show an intent to build around younger players and academy players for the future rather than sticking rigidly to his experienced pros

14 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Unfortunately there are a few that have been a little more vociferous in their comments about PW than just saying “Warne is unlikely to be the right man to take Derby forward long term”. These are the people that may need to eat humble pie at some stage but it’s still too early to determine if the Warne supporters or Warne haters will be proved wrong. In the meantime, I might be the mature thing to do if his detractors could at least acknowledge, through gritted teeth, that yesterday’s performance against a fancied team was a good performance even if it does prove to be just a flash in the pan. Obviously not aimed at you as that is exactly what you’ve done.

14 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How does that circle become squared though?

You've said that you don't believe that Warne is the right person to take the club forward long term yet he's not nearly halfway through a 4 year contract?

Everyday that he's seeing out his contract then will only serve to increase your unhappiness in the situation.

I've always said change the things that you can change yourself so if you can't affect the change of Warne leaving our club what can you change to make the situation more tolerable for yourself?

48 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

All we need now is for him to show an intent to build around younger players and academy players for the future rather than sticking rigidly to his experienced pros

If that's what you want, you'll have to be prepared to accept bumps in the road, because teams packed with youngsters rarely romp their way to the title, or perform consistently. Do you have the patience for that?

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

How does that circle become squared though?

You've said that you don't believe that Warne is the right person to take the club forward long term yet he's not nearly halfway through a 4 year contract?

Everyday that he's seeing out his contract then will only serve to increase your unhappiness in the situation.

I've always said change the things that you can change yourself so if you can't affect the change of Warne leaving our club what can you change to make the situation more tolerable for yourself?

You are assuming I find the situation intolerable. I'm still going to games, I'm still enjoying the wins and bemoaning the losses. In that regard it's no different to any other time supporting the club.

My concern does not stop me from supporting the team in the stadium, or going there in the first place.

None of that is going to ease my concerns over Warne's ability to take us where we want to go. If he proves me wrong then fair play, I'll be among the first to congratulate him and concede that I was wrong.

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

If that's what you want, you'll have to be prepared to accept bumps in the road, because teams packed with youngsters rarely romp their way to the title, or perform consistently. Do you have the patience for that?

Did I say I wanted a team packed with youngsters? I’m just talking about a long term build as we saw with Arthur Cox when we were last in this position. Or for that matter as we saw with Nigel Clough. A blend of youth and experience where the young players go on to form the longer term backbone of the side.