January Window

1of4

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Pay as you play ?  But even on a normal contract we have to consider what would Martin be like around the place if not getting much playing time ? Would he sulk , would he be disruptive?

Last time he was sulking (contract negotiations) I remember the ball came to him (he didn’t want it), he scored immediately, did a sulky celebration then went back to sulking. But no I don’t think he’d sulk. 

Good point made by Leigh Curtis - by following the rules and not making signings simply for the sake of it, we may be looked on more favourably by the EFL in the summer when the business plan is reviewed…..easing the restrictions will be crucial in giving us a chance to be competitive next season..

Edited by Gaspode

46 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Good point made by Leigh Curtis - by following the rules and not making signings simply for the sake of it, we may be looked on more favourably by the EFL in the summer when the business plan is reviewed…..easing the restrictions will be crucial in giving us a chance to be competitive next season..

I hope you’re right but isn’t there a counter argument that breaking the rules/business plan may have resulted in further sanctions and that is the reason we are abiding by them/it? I know the EFL work in mysterious ways but in the real world breaking rules usually result in consequences. 

56 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Absolutely work within the restrictions but don’t expect any help from the EFL 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Last time he was sulking (contract negotiations) I remember the ball came to him (he didn’t want it), he scored immediately, did a sulky celebration then went back to sulking. But no I don’t think he’d sulk. 

Maybe he was sad that he was having to leave? Anyway scoring the goals is the bit we need

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Quite,he scored 12 or 13 goals on his last season for us....I don't recall any sulking whatsoever that year.,another urban myth.

Never mind,let's just hope didzy stays fit,we need him to finish this season on his feet.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

10 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

I think we will come to regret not bringing in another striker. We could have done with another option off the bench or from the start. I know PW likes working with a small squad and wants to protect the mentality of the team but I do think we’re a little short. 

Yes we will, I'm so pi$$ed off with Warne, Why couldn't we buy someone?, Why wouldn't Arsenal or maybe Newcastle loan us their star striker?, Ronaldo FFS went to Saudi Arabia when he could have come here for £350k less a week, Or we should have asked Bristol City if they had any aging strikers that would like to take a hit on their wages, Perhaps we were offered someone who's not getting a game and hasn't scored a goal since 2020, I'll tell you what lets just sign someone who can fit into a number 9 shirt and keep our cold benches warm.

There's a reason we didn't sign a striker...ask CurtainsFast Feet Dance GIF by polgee 

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I hope you’re right but isn’t there a counter argument that breaking the rules/business plan may have resulted in further sanctions and that is the reason we are abiding by them/it? I know the EFL work in mysterious ways but in the real world breaking rules usually result in consequences. 

It's not a counter argument, it's a statement of fact - if we breach the agreed plan we'll be penalised (again) - and quite rightly....however if the business plan for the start of this season set out a maximum amount that we were allowed to spend and (by having a larger than expected turnover and being sensible/frugal with our recruitment) we've spent considerably less than that agreed figure, Clowes can legitimately say to the EFL "there you go, I told you I would run the club properly and that I'm not another Mel Morris, how about you give me a little more leeway so we are more competitive next year?".

The whole point of the imposed business plan is to make sure a club that's managed to clear a big chunk of its debts via administration does not immediately return to the old ways of gambling the club's future on stupid signings they can't afford. It feels like a punishment, but it's actually there to prevent what happened to us in the past being repeated by the new owner - Clowes has demonstrated he will run us sensibly and I'd hope the EFL will appreciate that when they review our siutuation at the end of the season...

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think DC would even contemplate breaking the rules. Things have changed 

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Fully expecting the EFL's response to be "Oh, you came in 20% under the budget? Guess you didn't really need it then, so we'll drop it by 20% next season."

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Pay as you play ?  But even on a normal contract we have to consider what would Martin be like around the place if not getting much playing time ? Would he sulk , would he be disruptive?

That hasn't ever been said about him has it? On the pitch he looks mardy if he doesn't get the ball. Also things have been said about his good influence in the dressing room on young players.

But I still think he's looking for a better deal than we might offer.

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its good to see that you've not written him off yet, despite him having already had 53 minutes worth of action from off the bench to impress you and, in them minutes, being instrumental in our winning goal against Port Vale. I'm sure he is very grateful for your continued support.

Hope I’m wrong but let’s see. 

49 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Absolutely work within the restrictions but don’t expect any help from the EFL 

And don’t expect any trickle down from the Prem. Chelsea have just paid £106 mill for a midfield player. The cost of 2 Derby County’s. Crowd size means nothing in football now. The beautiful game has been sold.

42 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Yes we will, I'm so pi$$ed off with Warne, Why couldn't we buy someone?, Why wouldn't Arsenal or maybe Newcastle loan us their star striker?, Ronaldo FFS went to Saudi Arabia when he could have come here for £350k less a week, Or we should have asked Bristol City if they had any aging strikers that would like to take a hit on their wages, Perhaps we were offered someone who's not getting a game and hasn't scored a goal since 2020, I'll tell you what lets just sign someone who can fit into a number 9 shirt and keep our cold benches warm.

There's a reason we didn't sign a striker...ask CurtainsFast Feet Dance GIF by polgee 

We aren’t allowed to spend money ? just ask Chelsea as they don’t seem to have a problem.

But seriously the EFL gave us a business plan that IMO is s***. 

PS The soothsayers may not agree and think we should be flogged forever for our indiscretions 

Edited by Curtains
Added

January Window.

We’ve managed to keep hold of our young talent in Knight, Bird, Sibley & Cashin.

Dobbin & Roberts, no recall, looks like they’re hopefully here till the end of the season.

Springett from Norwich & the goalie from FGR added to the squad before deadline day.

The latest loan, this lad from Spurs who seems to be able to play anywhere full back, wing half, inside left, inside right, outside left and outside right!?

…………taking into consideration our financial situation it’s been a blooming good window.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Wycombe have sold by far their best player, so that's good.  s*** fee as well by the sounds of it-undisclosed.  Hope it finishes the car park.  Shame he went to Bristol City.  FFP and losing 300 k a week not a concern it seems.

Brizzle have sold Semanya for around £10m + add-ons, which will probably sort their ffp problems. The fact that it's allot less than Mr Ploppy and Co thought he was worth is pretty indicative that it was essential for them to get a significant sum in this year's calculations. 

They're fortunate in having brought through the likes of Scott and Bell, who will probably be sold in the next couple of seasons to keep them out of FFP issues. 

In the meantime, Wycombe can now afford to have the car park spaces painted out, which is great news obviously. 

Just catching up on the window as I missed yesterday afternoon/evening. Other than Stretton and Osula, no one left. I do feel Stretton might have been useful backup, but overall that's a result.

And it's because we're close enough to promotion and everyone seems to be loving their football, that our talented academy graduates are sticking with us for now. I'm actually thrilled we didn't bring anyone in for the sake of it.

With these players we're on a long unbeaten league run, and have won the last 5. We pick ourselves up from West Ham, dust ourselves down, learn from the experience and go again. 

Trust the players we have "in the building" (what an awful phrase that is). 

Not too pleased we have not got a striker in to replace Osula. Could see a scenario where it could cost us. Imagine going into the play offs, 2nd leg of the semi final or the final and the game goes to extra time one of them are injured leaving the other to have to play the whole 120 minutes. 

Mcgoldrick gets cramp after playing 100 minutes and can barely move and we have to play a winger upfront instead, Barkhuizen hasn't got the touch or the strength and I'm not sure NML would be a good lone striker either. We then lack a focal point and lose the match costing us promotion, same could happen last game of the season if top 2 is on. 

If Mcgoldrick is out for many games and we just have Collins are chances of going up are definitely slimmer, we'll just have to hope Mcgoldrick can play most matches and we can win without having much upfront. Will be interesting to hear what Warne has to say about things in the striker department. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99