January Window

1of4

1 hour ago, DanS1992 said:

Finally some sense instead of seeing all forms of criticism as hate. The fact is that his form has not been great, hasn't scored from open play since Burton, and seems to be struggling a wee bit at the moment. Seems to le a totally valid argument that some posters are trying to get across. All players have ups and down I get that, but saying that for stating that Collins is having a hard time and that some extra reinforcements up top would be welcome could be considered as hate is insane. The world has gone mad... 

Just to be clear, even with Collins not on song, I still think he provides value if selected, his pressing and aggressiveness sets a nice tempo for others to follow, even if goals are hard to come by for him at the moment. Besides most of the team are chipping in, making up for his poor form in front of goal so far. Still think another option up front would have been nice to have though.

Anyway, with Didzy injured at the moment, hopefully Collins can rediscover his scoring touch, starting with Saturday.

Not all comments regarding Collins recent form fall into the “hate” category for me, but there are some on social media and on here who have labelled him awful, useless, talentless and various other phrases along those lines with accompanying expletives. Not commenting on his form or a specific performance per se, just slating the bloke in general, that’s the bit I’d say is closer to hate than more balanced posts like yours and plenty of others that say “his touch could be better, he needs to stay onside, why doesn’t he win more headers” etc. 

I never understand the extremes some people go to with their comments and observations, be critical, be constructive, no need for spite and malice. And by that I mean fans in general on here, social media, in the ground….wherever. Human nature I suppose. 

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

...I never understand the extremes some people go to with their comments and observations, be critical, be constructive, no need for spite and malice. And by that I mean fans in general on here, social media, in the ground….wherever. Human nature I suppose. 

People are committed to the Club, it is very important to them, so they get emotional, and perhaps lash out verbally. As B4 says they get frustrated. Can't see how that can be stopped.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

People are committed to the Club, it is very important to them, so they get emotional, and perhaps lash out verbally. As B4 says they get frustrated. Can't see how that can be stopped.

As I said, it’s human nature. The only way it can be stopped is by that individual. Think before they chant/speak/type/post etc. Frustration with form and or performance is part of sport, making it a personal attack against a person doesn’t have to be 

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As I said, it’s human nature. The only way it can be stopped is by that individual. Think before they chant/speak/type/post etc. Frustration with form and or performance is part of sport, making it a personal attack against a person doesn’t have to be 

I know that, but in the scheme of things, coming on a football forum and expressing displeasure against a player/team/referee is hardly the most heinous crime.

Edited by RoyMac5

There is a lot of displeasure on here about James Collins and lack of signing of a striker.

Collins is working really hard and is going through a lean patch as all strikers do and we should give him a break and support him.

We haven't signed a backup striker and are apparently looking at free agents but no-one has pointed out that we had a young striker, Dajaune Brown, on the bench on Monday night who didn't get a kick.

While he may have been making up the numbers, Warner must have had confidence to have him there and he may be a hidden gem who is yet to get a chance.

One is to hope that we are not going back to making mistakes by signing players, spending money on more wages, and blocking the path from the academy as we have done in the past.

3 minutes ago, alfaskye said:

There is a lot of displeasure on here about James Collins and lack of signing of a striker.

Collins is working really hard and is going through a lean patch as all strikers do and we should give him a break and support him.

We haven't signed a backup striker and are apparently looking at free agents but no-one has pointed out that we had a young striker, Dajaune Brown, on the bench on Monday night who didn't get a kick.

While he may have been making up the numbers, Warner must have had confidence to have him there and he may be a hidden gem who is yet to get a chance.

One is to hope that we are not going back to making mistakes by signing players, spending money on more wages, and blocking the path from the academy as we have done in the past.

Brown was rewarded for his good performances for the U18S since returning from a long term injury (3 goals in 2 games).

In the 'real' pecking order, there are others ahead of him.
   - Cybulski who can be recalled from his short term loan
   - Nunn who can be recalled from his short term loan
   - Vigar (loan from Arsenal) who may be available to play for the first team
   - Wheeldon, who like Brown is a first year scholar, but has also played for the U21s a few times this season.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Brown was rewarded for his good performances for the U18S since returning from a long term injury (3 goals in 2 games).

In the 'real' pecking order, there are others ahead of him.
   - Cybulski who can be recalled from his short term loan
   - Nunn who can be recalled from his short term loan
   - Vigar (loan from Arsenal) who may be available to play for the first team
   - Wheeldon, who like Brown is a first year scholar, but has also played for the U21s a few times this season.

I would imagine the ‘real pecking order’ would probably be something like: McGoldrick, Collins, Dobbin, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing and then Sibley. I can’t imagine a situation where Cybulski is used or any of the others. I think we would use one of our wide players up front then promote Ibrahim or Aghatise. Perhaps, Sibley depending on the situation. 

It’s not ideal, but we can make it work in this league. No doubt. 

Get behind Collins and support him through this lean period …the ball isn’t sticking with him I get it but he’s what we have so get behind him as we need him scoring and I don’t see constant criticism as the way to get him firing 

I’m sure Warne sees the frailties in his game and nothing wrong with us fans having our opinions and all that but it’s been said enough…and he’s all we have and is still capable of goals so let’s get behind him eh?

Edited by S8TY

On 01/02/2023 at 02:17, FlyBritishMidland said:

No one left, successful window in my view.  January is a terrible time to sign players.  Inflated prices (I know we can’t pay for players) and panic buys.  It’s a bit like those scam emails and texts that play on emotions - act now or miss out!!

PW’s been pretty clear on his criteria that any signing must improve the match day squad and be the right character.  If he felt that any players didn’t meet that criteria, fair enough.

Wait, what? Well that's just great.....here I am floating around somewhere between St Lucia and Barbados and having paid eleventy hundred quid for an hour of satellite WiFi and I've missed a firesale....?

13 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

We need an Izale McLeod type player coming through from the academy is there any potential there ?

He scored 158 goals in 492 career games which surprised me. Although retired now so can’t press. I think I’ll start a transfer thread on him though.

Random name alert. Has old Ben hacked your account?

Cardiff fans had something to say about Collins when he played for them.

He's improved a lot from that position.

As a team we are penalised by the efl with their transfer ban, which runs through this season and next season.

I'm grateful that Collins agreed to sign for us, he does appear to play with his heart.

However, he's not a player I'd have brought to the club if we could have paid a transfer fee.

I've made much of my desire to sign any of the highest scoring strikers in this league.

Even if we were a top 2 side at present, places are decided on goal difference as well. Our goal difference isn't that great.

Mcgoldricks contract ends in the summer, he's performing great for us but I'm not convinced I'd renew his contract. He will be 36, you only get slower at that age.

Screenshot_20230203_123114_Firefox.thumb.jpg.9598fc69abbb1d8681c16266a8d07b5d.jpg

26 minutes ago, Oldben said:

As a team we are penalised by the efl with their transfer ban, which runs through this season and next season.

I'm grateful that Collins agreed to sign for us, he does appear to play with his heart.

However, he's not a player I'd have brought to the club if we could have paid a transfer fee.

I've made much of my desire to sign any of the highest scoring strikers in this league.

Even if we were a top 2 side at present, places are decided on goal difference as well. Our goal difference isn't that great.

Mcgoldricks contract ends in the summer, he's performing great for us but I'm not convinced I'd renew his contract. He will be 36, you only get slower at that age.

Screenshot_20230203_123114_Firefox.thumb.jpg.9598fc69abbb1d8681c16266a8d07b5d.jpg

Our goal difference is only 3 worse than Plymouth who are top.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Desperate times if we're taking the opinion of Cardiff fans as gospel....and thankfully, you're not in charge of transfer policy at the club...

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Our goal difference is only 3 worse than Plymouth who are top.

We had scored the most goals in the country this year up until a week or so ago. Not that I don't think we do need to improve up top, and I agree Collins wouldn't be a player I'd have signed with more choice, but we are where we are.