January Window

1of4

Considering PW stated he would like a striker in hes probably as disappointed as us ….I’d be more concerned if he wasn’t after a striker but I trust Warne, if it wasn’t right he wouldn’t sign someone he’s already said as much 

my big fear is same as everyone else’s and would hate to be going to a Wembley play off final with both Didzy and Collins injured if that were to happen 

perhaps it wouldn’t hurt at this point onwards to get off of Collins back a bit and encourage and support him as confidence is everything especially as a striker and do think negativity in the crowd can get to players so let’s get behind him ??

Edited by S8TY

7 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm not sure if you've mistakenly quoted me but none of your questions/statements actually relate to what I was implying. ?

No sorry I was merely pointing out that Martin or any player for that matter might not be the best around the squad if not picked it wasn’t a dig at you 

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Not too pleased we have not got a striker in to replace Osula. Could see a scenario where it could cost us. Imagine going into the play offs, 2nd leg of the semi final or the final and the game goes to extra time one of them are injured leaving the other to have to play the whole 120 minutes. 

Mcgoldrick gets cramp after playing 100 minutes and can barely move and we have to play a winger upfront instead, Barkhuizen hasn't got the touch or the strength and I'm not sure NML would be a good lone striker either. We then lack a focal point and lose the match costing us promotion, same could happen last game of the season if top 2 is on. 

If Mcgoldrick is out for many games and we just have Collins are chances of going up are definitely slimmer, we'll just have to hope Mcgoldrick can play most matches and we can win without having much upfront. Will be interesting to hear what Warne has to say about things in the striker department. 

Thankfully the Paul Warne philosophy does not encompass Fantasy Football. The remainder of our season will be played out in the real world ?

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I've seen a huge amount of running around but rarely challenges effectively,mostly fails to win headers and unfortunately doesn't distribute the ball well at all.

He's lost as a lone striker and 7 goals at this point in the season for our number 9 doesn't bode well at all for him with his other current weaknesses.

Unless we are able to use him as part of a front two or he is able to adapt I can't see his tally improving much over the remaining games.

That’s partly my point, Warne and the staff need to work with Collins to channel that “running around” more effectively. He’s not going to finish the season on 20 goals but I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t add a few more before the season ends, or if his harrying of defenders leads to goals for his team mates. 10-15 goals from a player who has become the second choice striker due to the form/skills of McGoldrick would be a respectable return. He is limited, but has some attributes that can be maximised. 
Again, my own stance is to revisit with the full facts so at the end of the season if he hasn’t done as I think he will I’ll hold my hands up to being wrong, until then I don’t think it’s ridiculous to think he can continue helping the team. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s partly my point, Warne and the staff need to work with Collins to channel that “running around” more effectively. He’s not going to finish the season on 20 goals but I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t add a few more before the season ends, or if his harrying of defenders leads to goals for his team mates. 10-15 goals from a player who has become the second choice striker due to the form/skills of McGoldrick would be a respectable return. He is limited, but has some attributes that can be maximised. 
Again, my own stance is to revisit with the full facts so at the end of the season if he hasn’t done as I think he will I’ll hold my hands up to being wrong, until then I don’t think it’s ridiculous to think he can continue helping the team. 

I’m relatively happy with his work rate and nuisance factor but he earns his money as a forward not a midfield player.

I can’t believe with all the technology at their disposal that the coaching staff haven’t analysed his attacking positions.

He so often takes up positions that make him impossible to find. 

Just correcting that would make him more likely to score.

15 hours ago, ram59 said:

I can exclusively reveal that it was national League Solihull Moors offering myself, from their over 63s walking football team, but PW said that I didn't have enough pace for his style of play. ?

At the risk of raising the mods wrath by digressing from the main subject. Ram59, are you part of the Moors 63's walking football team that plays at Coleshill? I ask because I'm the number two goalkeeper for the Birmingham Whites 63's so our paths might have crossed at some point. I played a number of games last season when the Whites number one couldn't play.

37 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

At the risk of raising the mods wrath by digressing from the main subject. Ram59, are you part of the Moors 63's walking football team that plays at Coleshill? I ask because I'm the number two goalkeeper for the Birmingham Whites 63's so our paths might have crossed at some point. I played a number of games last season when the Whites number one couldn't play.

Guilty as charged, I play in goal or defence, depending on age category and how desperate they are. ?

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Thankfully the Paul Warne philosophy does not encompass Fantasy Football. The remainder of our season will be played out in the real world ?

Was just an example scenario of when it could really cost us and be season defining. It's actually not too unlikely that we could lose one of them to injury and miss a good chunk of games and then the other striker gets a knock with in a game or is playing poorly and needs taking off for something different and with Playoffs looking likely those are the games where you can't afford to not have depth upfront. 

With Mcgoldrick being 35 and Collins always being knackered after 70 minutes it's of more importance to have options. And if Collins keeps on playing so poorly ideally you want someone else to come in, we rely so much on NML and Mcgoldrick imo. 

We would be 8th and have alot of fans complaining about Warne without those 2, in alot of games they have provided the quality to change the whole pattern of the match. They are the difference makers when we are struggling to do anything. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Leicester City owners have just “written off” debts of £194 million. The second time they have done it and previously they have been bankrupt. Just don’t understand how they can get away with it.

Tell you how because they are in the premiership and they have higher thrash hold on losses and been in european football if champions league or UEFA cup or now conforance league.

58 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m relatively happy with his work rate and nuisance factor but he earns his money as a forward not a midfield player.

I can’t believe with all the technology at their disposal that the coaching staff haven’t analysed his attacking positions.

He so often takes up positions that make him impossible to find. 

Just correcting that would make him more likely to score.

..agree 100% with this. I find it frustrating watching him invariably taking up positions between defenders and rarely does he seem to gamble on getting to the near post or in front of the defenders when we have the ball out wide.

Perhaps he needs showing the replays of NML recent goals where he attacks the near post and scores.

Now that the window is closed, do we think that Warne will dip in to the free transfer market given his comments on not disrupting the great atmosphere in the dressing room?

I would guess not but obviously we weren't able to get a senior striker in so we may still be looking in that area. Having said that, I had a look at the free agents still out there according to Transfermarkt and there isn't one I'd take, personally. Few familiar names on there though:

image.png.d16a9735645e53e52da6ffa5983763db.png

48 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Tell you how because they are in the premiership and they have higher thrash hold on losses and been in european football if champions league or UEFA cup or now conforance league.

Yes and I think this money was loaned slowly over a number of seasons. It's pretty standard for owners to subsidise clubs with "loans" which they know full well are unlikely ever to be repaid (but they might be able to cash in if they sell the club on). Morris did the same with us, many owners have done similar. Providing the rolling three-year losses meet relevant limits, you can just keep doing it over and over again without penalty. (You will of course have the personal financial "penalty" of having pumped tens or hundreds of millions of pounds into an unprofitable club.)

What strikes me about this is that Leicester didn't just get promoted, they won the Premier League (an impossible achievement!), qualified for the Champions League, have performed well in the top flight for a number of seasons. As far as I'm aware they haven't exactly broken the bank with new signings during that time. How have they lost so much money?

Edited by vonwright

9 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Now that the window is closed, do we think that Warne will dip in to the free transfer market given his comments on not disrupting the great atmosphere in the dressing room?

I would guess not but obviously we weren't able to get a senior striker in so we may still be looking in that area. Having said that, I had a look at the free agents still out there according to Transfermarkt and there isn't one I'd take, personally. Few familiar names on there though:

Not the most exhilarating list is it?!

Imagine there will be a few interested in Martin if that’s the list to go off. Jacob Davenport would’ve been a good option if we didn’t get White in on loan.

14 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Sturridge's career is an absolutely tragedy given how much promise he had.

Surprised Wisdom's been without a club for so long - has he been injured?