January Window

1of4

for me you have to build from a position of strength, reality is we needed another striker. let's hope PW can cope without one and we remain injury free. We will really regret it if we get injuries at key times of the season e.g. playoffs.

5 minutes ago, caymanram said:

One of the biggest problems isn’t just that we can’t pay fees but that we can’t pay any agents’ fees.. what players don’t have agents wanting their cut ??

I don’t like that the business plan is so specific on how we can spend the club’s budget. I accept the need for restrictions on the back of admin, but surely if we have a budget to operate with as a business, how that is used should be a little more flexible. We can’t spend fees on loans, transfers or agents, but can allegedly pay wages up to £12k per week. So we could sign someone tomorrow on an 18 month deal at that price, say Vydra or Wickham as an example. That contract costs something like £864,000 for its duration and is allowed in the rules, yet we can’t spend £250k on transfer fee and pay a younger player with resale value from say league 2 £4K a week for 2 or 3 years which would be something like £634,000 to £826,000 (3 year deal) in total outlay with the potential to sell the player on, making far better business sense for the long term prospects of DCFC and any creditors etc. (all figures worked out on the back of a fag packet so may be slightly out) 

2 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I feel we will regret not adding a couple of bodies to the ranks. Still there's a lot to be said for a close knit unit. Are we able to sign out of contract players at any point?

Yes, up to the 4th Thursday in March, as per the EFL rules;

44.3  Where any new registration or transfer of a Player is received by The League after 5pm on the fourth Thursday in March in each Season, that Player will not be eligible to play in any match organised by The League in that Season, except as permitted in Regulation 57.

Guidance

The fourth Thursday in March is the traditional ‘transfer deadline day’ and remains in place to ensure Clubs cannot add to their squad for the final remaining fixtures of a Season thus impacting on the integrity of the competition in those final stages. This deadline is also used in other contexts – see for example the requirements on full strength sides in Regulation 25.1.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added relevant info for accuracy

9 minutes ago, alram said:

for me you have to build from a position of strength, reality is we needed another striker. let's hope PW can cope without one and we remain injury free. We will really regret it if we get injuries at key times of the season e.g. playoffs.

Paul Warne has said the recruitment team at Rotherham were always frustrated with him because they would present him with players to sign and he would turn them down.

I hope he hasn't turned down good options for the sake of it.

13 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I understand the fans saying to move on from ex players and Martin isnt a Warne type....but surely Martin on a free is better than having no 3rd choice striker at all. If he joins another top end League 1 club I reckon we will regret it

Martin would be a 2nd choice. He's significantly better than Collins.