January Window

1of4

26 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Now that the window is closed, do we think that Warne will dip in to the free transfer market given his comments on not disrupting the great atmosphere in the dressing room?

I would guess not but obviously we weren't able to get a senior striker in so we may still be looking in that area. Having said that, I had a look at the free agents still out there according to Transfermarkt and there isn't one I'd take, personally. Few familiar names on there though:

image.png.d16a9735645e53e52da6ffa5983763db.png

TBH I’d gladly take a punt on Wisdom considering our RB options.  He’d be really steady in this league.  

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Was just an example scenario of when it could really cost us and be season defining. It's actually not too unlikely that we could lose one of them to injury and miss a good chunk of games and then the other striker gets a knock with in a game or is playing poorly and needs taking off for something different and with Playoffs looking likely those are the games where you can't afford to not have depth upfront. 

With Mcgoldrick being 35 and Collins always being knackered after 70 minutes it's of more importance to have options. And if Collins keeps on playing so poorly ideally you want someone else to come in, we rely so much on NML and Mcgoldrick imo. 

We would be 8th and have alot of fans complaining about Warne without those 2, in alot of games they have provided the quality to change the whole pattern of the match. They are the difference makers when we are struggling to do anything. 

As you say it is just an example scenario. A multiplicity of scenarios are possible. Injuries could occur anywhere throughout the team - that's football and fate. I'm sure Warne has done the best he can in this window and there is still the possibility of a free agent if there is one suitable. I'm not fretting and I don't expect Paul Warne is. He will be trying to install positivity, not negativity into his players. May the good run continue. Keep the faith.

COYR

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

TBH I’d gladly take a punt on Wisdom considering our RB options.  He’d be really steady in this league.  

I'd agree, but I guess it depends on how fit he's kept himself, because he's been out of the game for a while.

I'd also look at Wickham. He might not be exactly what we're looking for but he's match fit and was scoring goals in a very poor Forest Green Rovers side. If he's happy to compete for a starting place and his attitude is right, I'd love to see him here for the rest of the season.

15 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I'd also look at Wickham. He might not be exactly what we're looking for but he's match fit and was scoring goals in a very poor Forest Green Rovers side. If he's happy to compete for a starting place and his attitude is right, I'd love to see him here for the rest of the season.

Agree.  Difficult to see how he could be any worse than Collins right now.

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Agree.  Difficult to see how he could be any worse than Collins right now.

Despite the fact that Wickham has scored 40 goals in 14 years against Collins' 176 in the same time. And he's scored one more than Wickham this season despite the fact that Collins is so poor according to you?

38 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I'd agree, but I guess it depends on how fit he's kept himself, because he's been out of the game for a while.

Wickham’s record is 1 in 5 for goals, not sure he is the answer, rather have Coldplay…

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Despite the fact that Wickham has scored 40 goals in 14 years against Collins' 176 in the same time. And he's scored one more than Wickham this season despite the fact that Collins is so poor according to you?

Just talking about current form.  No mention of the rest of thia season or their careers. 

Wickham has played at a higher level so would fully expect him to be scoring less goals then Collins across his career.

45 minutes ago, Topram said:

The Collins hate is mad, he’s on a bad run but Jesus it’s embarrassing the stick he’s getting 

It's not a new phenomenon. There were many Derby fans saying the same about John O'Hare over 50 years ago. In 1969 when Derby took Spurs apart 5-0 at the BBG in front of Derby's all-time record home crowd, O'Hare turned legendary Welsh international centre-half Mike England inside out. After the game Brian Clough said "I think even the blind idiots twigged John O'Hare today." But have no fear, those same people were still saying the same thing three years later as O'Hare played 40 out of 42 games up front as Derby County became Champions of England for the first time. He finished his career with two League Championship, two League Cup winners, and two European Cup-winners medals but to his Derby critics, he was still crap.

Overall eyesight and intelligence doesn't seem to have improved a great deal in Derby over the years. Some fans will never allow themselves to see the good in some players. Thankfully those players managers, team mates and the majority of the supporters didn't suffer the same sort of myopia.

Just seen the quote above...I rest my case while I now go for a lie down in a darkened room ??

Edited by Brailsford Ram

26 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Just seen the quote above...I rest my case while I now go for a lie down in a darkened room ??

There's a million and one strikers in the Prem who Collins will have scored more goals than.   He's been playing at a much lower level where it's easier to score.

If that concept is too much for you to grasp you're probably better off staying in the darkened room.

3 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

There's a million and one strikers in the Prem who Collins will have scored more goals than.   He's been playing at a much lower level where it's easier to score.

If that concept is too much for you to grasp you're probably better off staying in the darkened room.

James Collins 13 full international caps. Connor Wickham none.

A million and one? Did you count those on your much-quoted one hand? 

WALOB

Off the list of freebies I’d take a punt on Wickham but on a pay as you play structure …he gets injured too much and I’d structure it so a bonus for promotion and per goal and how many he plays 

no point whatsoever having a player on the treatment table for rest of the season and getting paid big wages for the privilege but out of all of the names he’d be the one I’d go for