January Window

1of4

TBH I'm not seeing 'hate' for Collins at all, just a few folk expressing some disappointment at what seem to be turning out to be his shortcomings (that's OK on a forum surely ?). He's a way better option than the other tactic of playing someone out of position but he isn't blessed with pace, touch is so-so and he doesn't seem to hold it up particularly well and doesn't seem to fare that well in physical battles with big central defenders, plus his goals return is a bit underwhelming. He gives it his all but just seems a tad limited.

McGoldrick looks a picture of composure and quality in comparison IMHO and links play superbly and the ball sticks and he rarely gives it away cheaply. Obviously Collins will get everyone's full backing once he steps out on the pitch in a Derby shirt and I (like everyone) really hope he comes good and gets back in the goals again. It's just that it feels like he needs to offer us a bit more than he is doing. Maybe he can, maybe he can't *shrug*. Hopefully the former.

15 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

TBH I'm not seeing 'hate' for Collins at all, just a few folk expressing some disappointment at what seem to be turning out to be his shortcomings (that's OK on a forum surely ?). He's a way better option than the other tactic of playing someone out of position but he isn't blessed with pace, touch is so-so and he doesn't seem to hold it up particularly well and doesn't seem to fare that well in physical battles with big central defenders, plus his goals return is a bit underwhelming. He gives it his all but just seems a tad limited.

McGoldrick looks a picture of composure and quality in comparison IMHO and links play superbly and the ball sticks and he rarely gives it away cheaply. Obviously Collins will get everyone's full backing once he steps out on the pitch in a Derby shirt and I (like everyone) really hope he comes good and gets back in the goals again. It's just that it feels like he needs to offer us a bit more than he is doing. Maybe he can, maybe he can't *shrug*. Hopefully the former.

You are of course absolutely right, but people love the opportunity to pontificate about why they are better supporters. It isn't being a hater to express the viewpoint that Collins has been poor for a while. He doesn't win his headers, his touch is poor and he isn't scoring goals and his all around play on the ball isn't great. Running isn't a substitute for the lack of ability. 

2 hours ago, Topram said:

The Collins hate is mad, he’s on a bad run but Jesus it’s embarrassing the stick he’s getting 

What do you mean? He was fairly isolated and struggled to hold the ball up against 3 centre backs in Aguerd (World Cup semi-finalist, cost £30mil), Ogbonna (ex-Juve, played 16 times for Italy) and Kehrer (cost £10mil, played 24 times for Germany).

As a League 1 striker who cost £0, he should’ve done a lot better and completely deserved all the stick he received.

Just now, Kernow said:

What do you mean? He was fairly isolated and struggled to hold the ball up against 3 centre backs in Aguerd (World Cup semi-finalist, cost £30mil), Ogbonna (ex-Juve, played 16 times for Italy) and Kehrer (cost £10mil, played 24 times for Germany).

As a League 1 striker who cost £0, he should’ve done a lot better and completely deserved all the stick he received.

The stick Collins is getting is for purely the West Ham game and not for an accumulation of poor performances. This is definitely not misrepresenting the arguments and is entirely in good faith. 

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Where's the hate?  People are just pointing out he is on a bad run of form which is exactly what you've done in your post.

There have been comments on here and on social media platforms that go beyond observing his current poor run of form in my opinion. The matchday thread from Monday night probably has a couple of examples. 
And my view has nothing to do with trying to say one supporter has more merit than another.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Just now, Andicis said:

The stick Collins is getting is for purely the West Ham game and not for an accumulation of poor performances. This is definitely not misrepresenting the arguments and is entirely in good faith. 

He was the scapegoat of the West Ham thread, I’ve seen a lot more negativity on social media regarding him since that game than before.

Our unbeaten run has shifted the awareness of the situation we were/are in to be honest. The summer window is probably the most restricted we’re going to be outside of an embargo.

We were taken over on 1st July and by that point had already missed out on a lot of the available free transfers we could’ve gone for. We were scraping around for what was left already, the fact we managed to get this squad together is pretty amazing as it is.

He has his limitations, of course, but we’re not going to get a lot better in this division while we are unable to pay transfer, agent or loan fees. We’ll be in the same position this summer, only we may (hopefully) be in a higher division, and have more time to prepare.

Just now, Kernow said:

He was the scapegoat of the West Ham thread, I’ve seen a lot more negativity on social media regarding him since that game than before.

Our unbeaten run has shifted the awareness of the situation we were/are in to be honest. The summer window is probably the most restricted we’re going to be outside of an embargo.

We were taken over on 1st July and by that point had already missed out on a lot of the available free transfers we could’ve gone for. We were scraping around for what was left already, the fact we managed to get this squad together is pretty amazing as it is.

He has his limitations, of course, but we’re not going to get a lot better in this division while we are unable to pay transfer, agent or loan fees. We’ll be in the same position this summer, only we may (hopefully) be in a higher division, and have more time to prepare.

The West Ham game was really bad. He has been getting criticised and has been playing poorly for some time now if we're honest. He hasn't scored since Burton away (iirc?) and generally doesn't hold the ball up or win many headers. 

Sure, I don't disagree that it is going to be pretty difficult to bring in another forward, I take issue with your implication that Collins has been purely getting stick for the West Ham game and not for consistent poor/below average performances for a couple of months. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The West Ham game was really bad. He has been getting criticised and has been playing poorly for some time now if we're honest. He hasn't scored since Burton away (iirc?) and generally doesn't hold the ball up or win many headers. 

Sure, I don't disagree that it is going to be pretty difficult to bring in another forward, I take issue with your implication that Collins has been purely getting stick for the West Ham game and not for consistent poor/below average performances for a couple of months. 

Barnsley in the cup was his last goal I believe. (Granted it was a penalty)

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You’re taking issue with something I didn’t even say? I replied to a comment about him getting stick, and referenced a thread where he got a lot of stick? I don’t get the issue with that, personally.

I realise he hasn’t been firing for a little while. I also realise he’s the second choice striker who has only started 1 of the last 4 league games, purely because we can’t expect McGoldrick to play every game.

My main point was that generally, nobody was fantastic against West Ham yet he’s been scapegoated. I highlighted what he was up against, it’s not that deep.

I've seen Conner Wickham mentioned a few times on this thread, Yet he's still not been offered owt by all those teams looking for a striker, Even FGR  his last club who are looking down the barrel of relegation do not want his services...HhhmmmSeason 3 What GIF by PBS

Edited by The Last Post

I can’t believe some of the stuff on here lately!

Whats kept this club going over the last eighteen months has been the relationship between the supporters the different management teams and the encouragement towards players, the all in this together, never give up, fight to the end attitude that has served us well.

Unfortunately it seems that losing to a Premier League club who had 200 million quids worth of talent sat on the bench seems to have resurrected that rarest of beasts over the last few months………….the scapegoat.

Considering that just six months back we were on the verge of handing the club to Kirchner, had five players under contract and no pre season the results and performances so far are remarkable. 

Personally I will not be criticising the present management, previous managers or any player  who’s working their socks off to improve our position and decided to stay or sign for this club in extraordinary times.

54 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I can’t believe some of the stuff on here lately!

Whats kept this club going over the last eighteen months has been the relationship between the supporters the different management teams and the encouragement towards players, the all in this together, never give up, fight to the end attitude that has served us well.

Unfortunately it seems that losing to a Premier League club who had 200 million quids worth of talent sat on the bench seems to have resurrected that rarest of beasts over the last few months………….the scapegoat.

Considering that just six months back we were on the verge of handing the club to Kirchner, had five players under contract and no pre season the results and performances so far are remarkable. 

Personally I will not be criticising the present management, previous managers or any player  who’s working their socks off to improve our position and decided to stay or sign for this club in extraordinary times.

It’s not scapegoating, it’s just talking about where people think we can improve. It’s a forum, is for talking about derby county.

if someone has a poor game or run of poor games then people will maybe want a change in the team. That person isn’t written off forever. And am sure everyone on here wants Collins to score a hat trick Saturday!

if course am glad we still have a club, but I still want to look forward and think about how we can improve and how we can get promoted. The fact it’s so close makes you dream a bit more. That’s the whole point of supporting a team for me.

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I would like to see less of him charging into the channels and more of him staying central, in the 18 yard box, bullying defenders and working on his movement/staying onside.

Warne might have to actually tell one of our players to run about less ?

I noticed at one point vs West Ham, we were breaking forward, and he was deeper than our right back. Helping defend is commendable, but as you’ve pointed out, he needs to be in the box either being the focal point for crosses or pulling defenders out of position to create space for others. 

4 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

Finally some sense instead of seeing all forms of criticism as hate. The fact is that his form has not been great, hasn't scored from open play since Burton, and seems to be struggling a wee bit at the moment. Seems to le a totally valid argument that some posters are trying to get across. All players have ups and down I get that, but saying that for stating that Collins is having a hard time and that some extra reinforcements up top would be welcome could be considered as hate is insane. The world has gone mad... 

Just to be clear, even with Collins not on song, I still think he provides value if selected, his pressing and aggressiveness sets a nice tempo for others to follow, even if goals are hard to come by for him at the moment. Besides most of the team are chipping in, making up for his poor form in front of goal so far. Still think another option up front would have been nice to have though.

Anyway, with Didzy injured at the moment, hopefully Collins can rediscover his scoring touch, starting with Saturday.