Derby County v Wycombe Wanderers H Matchday Thread

archram

Well today we got massive win and sent Coughlin sent crying back wycombe I got great joy in that. And in first half we had to dig in but made a silly mistake that cost us there goal he should just clear instead trying pass it back.

But in 2nd we came out fighting and got stuck in once got out attacking football wycombe had no clue what to do with us. But ref should sent that wycombe play off.

So please hoyhane two goals well taken and selby came close to scoring as well.

I like laim postive saying he is aiming for top 2 finnish something we are more than cable off.

I loved that today. First 20 mins were poor but we improved and then the subs / change of formation really changed the game. I thought McGoldrick was excellent and so good to have Knight’s energy in midfield, he made loads of forward runs. And hats off to Wildsmith, I’m starting to really like him.

The view from behind the dugouts was great, I’ll definitely try to get that seat again if I’m on my own. All in all a very nice way to spend my birthday.

Edited by Kinder

1 minute ago, Kinder said:

I loved that today. First 20 mins were poor but we improved and then the subs / change of formation really changed the game. I thought McGoldrick was excellent and so good to have Knight’s energy in midfield, he made loads of runs. And hats off to Wildsmith, I’m starting to really like him.

The view from behind the dugouts was great, I’ll definitely try to get that seat again if I’m on my own. All in all a very nice way to spend my birthday.

Happy birthday kinder glad lads won for you.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A 6.6 rating in 55 minutes, despite being a goal down is pretty good. Hardly "shocking" or "a total shambles" as described by some.

A rating higher than Barkhuizen and Roberts, level with Sibley. He played at least 30 minutes less than all of them too.

Out of interest where do these ratings come from - is it one individuals' perception of what he's seen (or thinks he's seen)?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For those slating Bird, these are the player rating at the time he was subbed off.

SmartSelect_20220917_175213_Chrome.thumb.jpg.894e340531edb885850f3e2d073780f0.jpg

Where and how do people make this s*** up ?……..ffs put the controller down 

Out and about today so relied on phone updates. Must confess to feeling gutted that WW took the lead thinking that we simply must not lose to that bunch of {insert expletive of choice}.  Was absolutely delighted at the come back. The tactical switch was spot on.  7th going into the break, despite some distinctly average performances of late, you can't complain. Delighted. 

THAT FIRST ONE IS FOR YOU, MA'AM! A minute's applause, the anthem, GOAL!!! Superb!

Yet again, Liam got his tactics wrong from the start. None of us had any idea from the team sheet how we were going to line up, so Wycombe were going to have no idea at all what they were going to face. But it actually didn't matter - Wycombe, as is their way, said a very clear "Stuff you" and just got on with their game, so those tactics didn't work! And no, the lump in my cheek is my tongue, not cancer!

As everyone has said we were dreadful in the opening 20 - 25 minutes, with one possible cause being a new system which we hadn't had much time to work on. But at least Liam tried something different, despite telling us he wasn't changing anything. But the biggest factor, as against Lincoln, was the lack of effort from many of the players. Twice, a pass out to the wing, although not good ones, were there to be chased down by Hourihane and he would have been absolutely clear, but both times he settled back to a trot and let the ball go. Apart from his goals, I was not impressed, and he was probably a greater candidate than Bird for being subbed. The only players worth their salt in that half were Knight (as ever), Sibley and Cashin. They were the only ones who seemed to give a damn.

There was a massive irony that Wycombe accused us of cheating, when that seemed to be a part of their game plan from the first minute. Time wasting from the 15th minute, kicking the ball away at every opportunity, feigning injury as soon as we were breaking away, and several less than regulation challenges. Barkhuisen got cleaned out with a studs up challenge early on which was at least a definite yellow, but no card given. Either Bird or Hourihane was fouled as he was breaking clear, which the ref did give, which was another blatant yellow. But 3 different players kicked and ran the ball away, so the ref chased them, obviously to threaten them that he would frown at them if they carried on. And no yellow for the foul, despite being only too willing to card Hourihane for  similar foul. Similarly for a clattering on Sibley - the ref played the advantage, but still didn't give the yellow. Very poor, and until the last part of the match, the only Wycombe yellow was for time wasting. Incidentally, there was contact when Sibley went down in the area, but Sibbers made a meal of it - probably noting that Lincoln got a penalty for only slightly less of a dive. But he ought to know that we hardly get any penalties, let alone soft ones.

But something got our dander up and we started to make the new formation start to work and we gradually started to take control, with several spells of pressure - once we started to attack their penalty area, they didn't know how to deal with it, resulting in the bagatelle scene, and several other shots. What saved them was their desire to win the ball, which meant a number of blocks and last ditch tackles. But we were knocking on the door. We could have gone in at half time 2 or 3 goals ahead, especially if McGoldrick had got his shooting boot on. He is really classy and elegant in the build up play, but apart from a lack or power, all his shots were straight at the keeper. Come on David, you can do better.

Second half saw us work up to knocking on the door again, especially after the substitutions - well done, Liam for those! And a goal was only a matter of time, and it was a delight to watch that shot which I knew was going in way before it did! The second goal was an absolute delight, because it took all 3 points off the team that, as someone said early on in the thread, were trying to grave rob us while we were still on our death bed! Sweet!

So we beat the scummy Wycombe, and made a load of places on the Red Dogs (a bit tenuous, that last bit!).

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Edited by DavesaRam

2 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I was delighted with the behaviour of both sets of fans during the minutes silence.  You could have heard a pin drop, so well done to everybody.  It puts us a class above the Gumps (as if we weren’t already!)

I sit in the North East Corner lower tier, There was a fan making a right racket during the minutes silence, They need to get maintenance on it as I think the blades were catching the side. 

Even if you take away any of the events of the last 18 months, Wycombe fully deserved to lose that game as soon as their goalscorer did the Ronaldo celebration.

Mate, pathetic. 9 year olds copying it in the playground? Fair enough. A professional footballer copying it? Straight red. 

5 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Bird and Hourihane again. No legs, drive, running, wanting the ball in midfield. Too many errors in Cashin’s game, overrated. Losing this may not be the end for LR, but it will be the beginning of the end. No more excuses for players who aren’t putting it in.

This post did not age well.