Derby County v Wycombe Wanderers H Matchday Thread

archram

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very attacking subs, but I don't understand how/why Hourihane is staying on. He doesn't have the legs for a whole game. Does Chester have legs for a whole game too? Odd to bring two of your more youthful players off first.

Radio Derby says we haven't taken any of the daft (my words) short goalkicks this game.

Early in the second half I decided the only way we might get back into the game was if I had a change of scenery, so I popped out into the Tower of London Moat (currently planted for the Superbloom), listening to the Radio Derby commentary in the sunshine. Hourihane scored and I laughed as I knew this post would come back to haunt me, but I was delighted and thought I'd take just a tiny amount of vicarious credit. As fans we do everything we can to suck the ball into the opposition net.

Then I cheered when the winner went in and was spotted by a Beefeater mate (sadly a dirty Leeds fan) who came out to see what the fuss was about. But he wasn't averse to toasting the mighty Derby with some of my vodka and tonic (off duty).

I worried with the lineup that we simply didn't have enough attacking players on the pitch at the beginning, so well done to Liam for realizing and changing things up. It sounded as if the second half was much better. It's such an important win, going into a break on a high (late goals, especially winners, breed confidence), tweaking the setup for the better with Knight in midfield, and ditching the goalkicks. We could be on the right track.

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Early in the second half I decided the only way we might get back into the game was if I had a change of scenery, so I popped out into the Tower of London Moat (currently planted for the Superbloom), listening to the Radio Derby commentary in the sunshine. Hourihane scored and I laughed as I knew this post would come back to haunt me, but I was delighted and thought I'd take just a tiny amount of vicarious credit. As fans we do everything we can to suck the ball into the opposition net.

Then I cheered when the winner went in and was spotted by a Beefeater mate (sadly a dirty Leeds fan) who came out to see what the fuss was about. But he wasn't averse to toasting the mighty Derby with some of my vodka and tonic (off duty).

I worried with the lineup that we simply didn't have enough attacking players on the pitch at the beginning, so well done to Liam for realizing and changing things up. It sounded as if the second half was much better. It's such an important win, going into a break on a high (late goals, especially winners, breed confidence), tweaking the setup for the better with Knight in midfield, and ditching the goalkicks. We could be on the right track.

Watching the game at any point before he scored I wouldn’t of been bothered if he was taken off as he was just like Bird…poor but he’s got that quality others haven’t and that showed 

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

Game changed when Bird went off and Knight showed him how to play cm. Houihane looked better with Knight biting next to him aswell.

No it didn't. The game changed when the team woke up after 20 minutes of play, and started passing to each other.

FYI, 14 shots with Bird on the field (xG of 1.2) 12 shots with Bird off the field (xG 0.7)

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No it didn't. The game changed when the team woke up after 20 minutes of play, and started passing to each other.

FYI, 14 shots with Bird on the field (xG of 1.2) 12 shots with Bird off the field (xG 0.7)

In fairness Bird was on for more than half the match (56 minutes) and XG can be quite an unreliable statistic depending on who collated the data. That data also fails to identify Bird's contribution to the play as an individual.  Tbh, I think whilst we started building up a head of steam from 25 minutes, we did look better as the second half wore on but I attribute that to more than simply Bird going off. 

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think five of those 14 shots happened in the space of about 30 first half seconds when it was pinball in their area.

The stats in general are a bit skewed. We had a lot of blocked shots today, and quite a few tame efforts from 25 yards out.

Such a weird game that. 10 minutes that changed the mood significantly. It was about to get quite toxic if that had remained 0-1.

We were particularly dreadful in the first 25. Surrendering the initiative and allowing a team which doesn’t keep the ball very well to actually play football. It was an alarming start. 

First goal comes from 2 players challenging for the same ball, which also nearly happened early in the second half. We looked slow, unfit, lethargic… every pass seemed too much trouble to move a yard to even receive it. 

Now did everything change after half hour? No. We did start to create some half chances and did start to keep the ball better and further up the field. But the same issues of poor tempo and general sleepiness remained. 

By mid way through the second half it seemed like we were never going to score. So many presentable chances just somehow not taken. One of them days. 

But here we are, the worst player still on the pitch was the one who scored both goals. After a turgid game where nothing was good from him, Hourihane then goes and shows everyone what he’s best at. 

Notes on a few individuals…

Knight better in midfield, and better in the actual middle, not as a supporter of the striker like first half.

Wildsmith was brilliant today. A few incredible saves, particularly the one in stoppage time at the end, and one pass first half to McGoldrick which Ederson would have enjoyed. 

McGoldrick is quality. Just wish he could shoot. 

Much better balance when NML came on. Think Roberts did fine but he’s not the most attacking fullback so why he was playing wing back opposite Barkhuizen was a puzzling choice, it was really imbalanced.

Sibley was ok but had a few moments where he looked like he was running in treacle first half. Kind of epitomised how sluggish we were.

Best performance I’ve seen from Collins. Actually hit some lay offs, and even a cross field ball which I didn’t think he had in his locker. He gave it a bit of b****** when he came on which I think the whole team needed. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Am I allowed to say Knight had a very average game today even if it does goes against this week's obsession? 

Yes, you are allowed to say that. Knight played averagely in the sense of skilled passing, creating chances etc but his hardworking stopped them from getting at us. I thought Knighty was superb today by constantly being involved, chasing them down and covering across the midfield and protecting the back four.

He put a shift in.

When he's average, he's still the best player in this division..

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If you were only listening on the radio, do share how you knew Hourihane didn't have the legs for a whole game?

21 minutes ago, DRBee said:

If you were only listening on the radio, do share how you knew Hourihane didn't have the legs for a whole game?

You do know they talk about players during the radio commentary? Also, at this point I'm ecstatic that Hourihane was kept on for the equalizer then winner, but in previous games I've watched he's been out on his feet for most of the second half. 

7 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

It's taken me that to get from Embankment to Charing Cross before now... But that's possibly due more to Gordon's Wine Bar than the ineptitude of TFL to be fair

I used to work with Simon Gordon, the patron of Gordon's wine bar. He'll be pleased to hear of the brand reach of his family business! 

His father started it and on his death in the early noughties, Simon gave up a lucrative career in financial services to own and run it.