Derby County v Wycombe Wanderers H Matchday Thread

archram

Got there in the end with knight, first half was a bit square pegs in round holes for me. Not sure where sibley and knight were playing.

mcgoldrick was a lot better deeper, midfield looked loads better with knight and hourihane.

like barkhuizen and nml, not sure you can play them at wing back for whole games though.

decent performance though and a well deserved win!

Not long got back, not read the comments of others  For me the first 20 to 25 was shockingly poor.  They are a poor side and we made them look above average.  After that things improved only very slightly until half time.  The real turning point was the introduction of Collins and Mendez Laing, he had their full back on toast, and the changes in formation did the trick.

Horrible little club, horrible manager, and horrible Chairman,  couldn’t have turned out better.

I was delighted with the behaviour of both sets of fans during the minutes silence.  You could have heard a pin drop, so well done to everybody.  It puts us a class above the Gumps (as if we weren’t already!)

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Some posters had seen enough after we failed to breakdown a stubborn Shrewsbury defence in our 4th game. Think it was still mid-August.

It's always a close run thing which appears earliest in a new season, the doom and gloom merchants on here or the Christmas decorations in my local garden centre

46 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Lovely stuff reading back through a matchday thread when we were losing, but ended up winning. The impatience of people is laughable at times.

Thank god we won. It's saved us from an international break of whining.

My own particular favourite was this little gem:

'The moment Rosenior decided to play Chester who hasn’t kicked a ball all season at RB against a pacey forward it was all over'

I won't name him but this particular bit of pants-wetting is a matter of public record.

First half was very much like Tuesday night, really struggled to get going  but in the end still had all the hall and chances just didn’t take them, second half different shape changed the game, more tempo faster movement just much better, NML and Collins helped change the game, 2 great finishes by Houraine after being poor all game his quality came out on top! big 3 points in the end! COYR

That was a really odd game. The first 20 minutes were shocking on all fronts with the team looking disjointed, disorganised and ready for a roasting. The first goal came from a defensive error due to an apparent lack of communication (not the first time) and it looked like Wildsmith should have saved it? McGoldrick and Sibley did not work as a front pairing with both coming short creating a massive gap in the middle and a lack of a focal point. Several times Knight was the highest presser which made little to no sense either. We were still ponderous at times but when we showed any tempo in our passing and movement they struggled to cope with it. 

We began to create more as the half went on, Roberts down the left pushed on and we began to look more menacing as we got a grip on the game. But the shape issues continued I think leading to crosses to nowhere, needing to take multiple touches on the ball before we found a pass and allowed Wycombe to gather themselves. Despite this we should have been level by half time tbh. Cashin made a fantastic last ditch tackle to save us. If Wycombe had been more daring, they could have found space in the channel and gave us some significant problems but they didn't. 

Second half we started poorly suffering from a stuttering start. They could have scored a second and been out of sight tbh. Rosenior then changed it, at the time I thought he'd lost the plot. No left sided defender on the pitch and McGoldrick came really deep and stuck himself out wide where he was less effective. The result was a total lack of presence in the middle of the pitch in the final third again. But NML despite his lack of ball quality terrorised them, turned the defender inside out and created the space we needed. The change in formation really stretched them out and Collins coming on gave us more of a focal point. Once we'd got the second we could have got 3-4 as they looked unable to cope with us once they weren't dug in showing the potential of our front line up once they're unleashed and have a bit of space. 

For me it's a strange result, not one that necessarily papers over the cracks but the game today highlighted both our current limitations and potential. Liam today said he'd need a few months to see what works and what doesn't best, what partnerships function together. I think he needs to do it more quickly than that but he is the man for the job. He clearly has a strong affinity with the club (his reaction today shows it all) and has put together a team that could challenge for promotion. If we played a team today who was more expansive and brave that could have been a very ugly afternoon. Fortunately, they sat in and tried to defend what they had which they inevitably couldn't. If we can use wing-backs such as Roberts and NML, push hourihane into a more advanced midfield slot combining with mcgoldrick and collins that could be very potent as an attacking system. Bird and Knight could balance the center nicely  with a trio of cb's that aren't the most pacey but have an awareness and strength that is a level above this division.