No signings in 3 weeks, "nothing imminent"

Rample

Not hystrionics, just an observation.

Following LR's comments yesterday and a notable lack of movement (excluding Dobbin's loan on the back of 3 exits), despite an obvious need for a right back, and a few more bodies in general, what do we reckon?

If I wanted to be more conspiratorial - no expansion of the backroom staff, no new deal for LR, the delay in re-signing Forsyth, not signing Robertson, and Rooney still being on trial after a month. I'm sure these can all be explained away but they do add food for thought.

8 minutes ago, Rample said:

Following LR's comments yesterday and a notable lack of movement (excluding Dobbin's loan on the back of 3 exits), despite an obvious need for a right back, and a few more bodies in general, what do we reckon?

If I wanted to be more conspiratorial - no expansion of the backroom staff, no new deal for LR, the delay in re-signing Forsyth, not signing Robertson, and Rooney still being on trial after a month. I'm sure these can all be explained away but they do add food for thought.

Dobbin - only Stretton had left. Byrne and Buchanan just confirmed.

Backroom staff - we've promoted from within.

Rosenior - this has already been explained. DC is not rushing in to anything. Rosenior also wants to fo us on preparing the first team for the season ahead.

Forsyth - still signed before the first game of the season.

Robertson - chose to go elsewhere for more first team football.

Rooney - potentially down to finalising a fee with Burnley.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Rosenior has said numerous times we are being patient to work on the right deals and bring the right characters in. Pretty confident we will see at least 3 or 4 more through the door before the window shuts. ?

48 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Rosenior has said numerous times we are being patient to work on the right deals and bring the right characters in. Pretty confident we will see at least 3 or 4 more through the door before the window shuts. ?

And even then still free agents.

It’s difficult as we can’t pay fees, so I feel that we will be busy at the back end of the market as teams know what they’re doing. Free transfers at this stage are a curious one, because why would they still be available if not for good reason. 

we’ve got to be patient and let it play out. For once, I truly believe in the recruitment and management team to do their best under the circumstances - Rosenior, aside from anything else, is an outstanding analyst of the game and will understand what we need better than any of us know ourselves. 

Edited by Ambitious

3 hours ago, Ramos said:

Rosenior said two . I do think though we need three or four .. a striker, two full backs and maybe better cover (at least) for keeper. 

5 hours ago, Rample said:

Wow. Very negative post.

Whats happened in a few weeks is phenomenal. 

Why such negativity now if we don’t get a player as well. We’re a big club but we’re not entitled to any individual. I like the fact that we’ve been honest to him and told him straight up that you’re not guaranteed football. I don’t want players who ask for that - I want players who will say “I’ll prove I’m good enough to be a starter”.

As GOC pointed out - he’s promoted from within. That’s a great move - Bucko is a hugely respected individual and keeps the culture created last season on-going. Smart smart move from LR in my opinion.

I think there are posts creeping in from fans giving a sense of entitlement, that we want things to happen today instead of tomorrow and that there is disappointment if it doesn’t happen. I know it’s impossible to keep this away but I love just about everything that’s happening with this club right now.

Yeh i agree lets go back to the days where we instantly give our managers long term contracts on lucrative deals so we can pay them millions when we inevitably sack them.

I dont think being cautious with Rosenior is a bad thing. No point rushing into a long term contract as much as i would like to.

Id also imagine forsyth probably wanted more money than we could offer, which again strikes me as a good thing if the club didnt just roll over and accept any old demand like Mel used to.

And im more than happy with the squad weve managed to assemble so far. Did you miss the bit where we've been in administration and almost ceased to exist. There are limits on what our resources can achieve these days. It would be nice to sign a few more but we cant fritter away a load of cash anymore

Well I am happy as happy as Larry (who was he by the way ?)

the sort of conversations we are having are bog standard fan chat “we need” .. “if only” … “just one decent x”

it’s just great ! 

no amortisation, no FFP, no deadly silence, no rule book analysis, no Gibson and Couhig

Instead we are moaning about switching wingers or a two game striker who hasn’t scored, the sin of 2 DM’s .. it’s so effing normal ?

I am enjoying normal 

What a strange post, there are only so many out of contract footballers around whilst we used up most of our ‘ready to play youngsters’ and the gaps we have left can only be filled by loans and other clubs don’t know who they are keeping yet. Also by having a spare team on a bench as subs doesn’t make them become available easily either. We have done well so far.

11 hours ago, jono said:

Well I am happy as happy as Larry (who was he by the way ?)

Geek alert - Larry Foley, Aussie (or was he a Kiwi?) boxer in the 1800s who never lost a fight.  Was offered a huge, for the time anyway, pay cheque for his last fight, and won, and the newspaper title was Happy as Larry.