v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

Lads did really really well to come back after an absolute horror show first 20 minutes. Indeed, we could have been 3 down in the first half hour and dead and buried with it so to come back and win is fantastic. It seems like the younger players managed to regroup and display the characteristics that will serve them well. Hopefully, Rooney sticks with a similar line up for the second round of the cup to reward them and give them more minutes on the pitch. 

Despite this, I'm not getting overly excited about the performance. I know you can only beat what's out in front of you but we relied on penalties to beat a league 2 team with a few first teamers in the lineup. It's only early in the season but whilst some of these youngsters put in a good shift to come back and get a draw against this lot, I don't fancy relying on them too much against sides in our division.  

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Despite this, I'm not getting overly excited about the performance. I know you can only beat what's out in front of you but we relied on penalties to beat a league 2 team with a few first teamers in the lineup.

Coming back from 2-0 down and then 3-2 down against anyone shows good character. Salford aren't a bad side at all, and a lot of our young players had a good showing. Honestly I find it quite a positive and heartening performance. 

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not sure I agree it is awful, could certainly be improved but at youth levels it was always pretty good, and he has been pretty threatening for the first team with some good decision making. Slightly lax end product so far, but that is to be expected. 

Not trying to be overly critical as I respect what he brings to the team; just saying what I see. He looks extremely awkward when he has the ball and isn't running with it (if that makes sense) and his technique isn't that of a natural footballer.

But like I said, his pace is frightening and it is nice to see a Derby player that can beat a man for a change; I think he will be a good asset for us and be a very dangerous tool for Rooney to use. We have enough cultured footballers with lots of technical ability so will be a nice balance to have some raw. direct pace!

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm really a theoretical physicist by training, but day job is a science publisher so I read a lot of papers and go to the scientific conferences that I find interesting. So of course I go to some sports science meetings and talk with the analysts and the coaches who are interested in this stuff. 

Oh right, sound

I just thought if you were offering advice to England's greatest goalscorer on footballing matters you might have had some expertise in the matter

My mistake

Just now, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Not trying to be overly critical as I respect what he brings to the team; just saying what I see. He looks extremely awkward when he has the ball and isn't running with it (if that makes sense) and his technique isn't that of a natural footballer.

But like I said, his pace is frightening and it is nice to see a Derby player that can beat a man for a change; I think he will be a good asset for us and be a very dangerous tool for Rooney to use. We have enough cultured footballers with lots of technical ability so will be a nice balance to have some raw. direct pace!

I respect that, I actually think differently, I think he has quite quick feet and looks a naturally gifted ball player. 

Absolutely agree with that second paragraph! Something we have lacked for a long time, genuine pace to frighten a defender.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Obviously we're talking fine margins. There are reasons for putting your best first as you say, but statistically it's better not to. The rationale is of course that the pressure builds through the shootout so you need your most reliable taker at the end. And you're not, for instance, left with a 19 year old rookie taking the decisive penalty in the final of the Euros.

True but if you don’t score your first penalty you’re under pressure immediately.

Out of interest, what are the actual statistics you are quoting? I get your point about a 19 year old missing the final penalty in the Euro’s but a youngster scored his today so, you could argue, these two examples cancel each other out.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Coming back from 2-0 down and then 3-2 down against anyone shows good character. Salford aren't a bad side at all, and a lot of our young players had a good showing. Honestly I find it quite a positive and heartening performance. 

I did say they showed really good character to come back from behind to get the result in fairness. I do think they should be played in the cups but I'd just prefer to use them more sparingly for league football if I'm honest. 

Salford aren't going to be anywhere near as good quality wise as the teams we'll face week in week out in this division. That's not saying the second half isn't a good performance for the future potentially but I'm not particularly excited about it in terms of what it means for our immediate league performances. 

Rooney spot on after the game when he said he saw u23s players turn into mens footballers during the game.

Poor first 20-30mins, got beat in the air which was always going to happen with that line up.

Watson grew into the game, Sibley found lovely pockets of space and Stretton upfront making runs off the shoulders of defenders shows what we have been missing. Jozwiak showed glimpses at times, some decent first touches in tight areas, Williams at left back played really well, Ebosele a constant threat & Hutchinson had a decent game.

Last season the team would have crumbled at 2-0, and then again after a woeful penalty decision, but these young lads showed a huge amount of bottle & character, tonight will set them up well for this upcoming season.

And lastly, what a goal by Morrison! ?

All in all, excellent night for our young lads.

Edited by DCFC1388

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't forget that the evening opened with a commentator saying that we were favourites for the drop whilst Salford are favourites for promotion, so effectively looking at potential peers..... 

The best thing about tonight was shutting-up the gobby poops in the BBC 5Live studio who were all over us at 0-2.

21 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Been busy, and just logged on to see how we did, and first thing I saw was a post about a penis.

I'm guessing it was a game to get the blood pumping?  Hope it wasn't too hard for you all tonight.
At least we can stand proud.

etc... etc... 

we got pounded at the beginning but the lads had the balls to fight back and hit a rich vein of form in the second half. 

I think this saves Rooney from the sack and it's the tip of the iceberg. You'd be nuts to think otherwise. 

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

I did say they showed really good character to come back from behind to get the result in fairness. I do think they should be played in the cups but I'd just prefer to use them more sparingly for league football if I'm honest. 

Salford aren't going to be anywhere near as good quality wise as the teams we'll face week in week out in this division. That's not saying the second half isn't a good performance for the future potentially but I'm not particularly excited about it in terms of what it means for our immediate league performances. 

Even when we had a good side in the Championship, we always used to struggle with these cup ties against lower league teams. They leave everything out there and make it difficult for you. They aren't as good quality as what we will play every week, but they worked incredibly hard and were a tricky opponent. 

Plenty to pick through about that performance, but I'm really enjoying the us against them mentality that's being born out of adversity. I think Rooney has used it to his advantage. 

The performance was no classic, but the young players seemed to develop an entire year within 90 minutes. Watson, in particular, started with a few miss passes but then was pulling the strings towards the end of the game. Ebosele is far from a polished footballer, but my word - he has a go. All I see is the Michail Antonio that was at Reading all those years ago. If he can follow a similar trajectory that would be great. 

Hutchinson has a lot of technical ability. Similar to Bird in a lot of ways. I thought Brown showed a bit of promise, although I'd like to see him with Davies rather than Forsyth. Sibley is just unbelievably talented, but I wish we got him on the ball a bit more. The ability as soon as he touches the ball just jumps off the screen. The first touch, the way he quickly changes the direction of the ball. We need to develop him because he's got a special talent in a role that we need a special talent. 

Ravel showing a lot of maturity and that's probably down to the team mentality. He has a real chance here and what a start. It's the best possible start for him and he will no doubt start again on Saturday. 

The first 30 minutes were a rough watch, but after that we blossomed and a lot of the younger players deserve a lot of credit. It was on their shoulders and they showed a lot tonight. I'm really looking forward to Saturday now - I want to see what we can do this season!