v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

Just watched the highlights, great to see the new guys staking their claims to first team places, OK there were the usual defensive set piece nightmares, but eventually this mostly 'reserve' team came through and showed real guts.  My own gut now tells me that actually we'll be OK in the league this season, and although the playoffs will elude us again I think we now have enough to avoid dropping into the bottom 3 at any stage.  Really looking forward to Saturday v Posh now!

3 hours ago, jono said:

I think he did have a good game - considering his youth. Always hand up, in space running for the ball but their left flank was very strong and bullied him a bit he didn’t give up though. He was always wanting to advance which I think was one of the reasons Morrison kept dropping back a bit too much. I think he needs a year to build his strength. 

I suspect Morrison was only in 2nd gear to preserve his energy for Saturday. Played very deep and didn’t get too involved apart from some mercurial switch passes. His goal showcases how he can pull something out of nothing. That will do him the power of good.

3 hours ago, jono said:

I think he did have a good game - considering his youth. Always hand up, in space running for the ball but their left flank was very strong and bullied him a bit he didn’t give up though. He was always wanting to advance which I think was one of the reasons Morrison kept dropping back a bit too much. I think he needs a year to build his strength. 

That was a tactical swap with Hutchinson after about 25 mins. He (and us) controlled the game from that point on.

In England we need to rid ourselves of the concept that a deep lying midfielder needs to be a tough tackling defensive one. 

That position is where you want your best passer, the one who is most comfortable on the ball. 

Played alongside Shinnie (or Bird eventually) he would be great there.

1 minute ago, sage said:

That was a tactical swap with Hutchinson after about 25 mins. He (and us) controlled the game from that point on.

In England we need to rid ourselves of the concept that a deep lying midfielder needs to be a tough tackling defensive one. 

That position is where you want your best passer, the one who is most comfortable on the ball. 

I too believe he should be played a bit deeper in some game to improve our playmaking from deeper positions, especially when the strengths we do have lie in those 3 positions behind the striker with Lawrence, Sibley, Watson, Hutchinson and Jozwiak all able to play there. Stick him next to Shinnie, who can do the donkey work, and I would imagine we would control games more. Obviously, horses for courses based on the opposition.

The change had to be made last night because Watson kept finding himself stood at left back in the first half. He looked confused.

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

The change had to be made last night because Watson kept finding himself stood at left back in the first half. He looked confused.

I do find it odd the positions that the 2 in midfield were adopting. As you say they were playing so wide when we had the ball back at the back. I’m not convinced it’s the way forward as the angles created make it difficult to progress the ball forward. The wider you go, the less space you have, hence the reason Watson kept on playing back, his other midfield partner was 60 yards away in the other side. They were both hogging the touch line. Also, if we lose possession we are massively exposed. 

42 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

As I started this thread by default not following forum etiquette should I start the next one or should it revert back to @David as he should have done the Salford one ?‍♂️??

I wasn't about so there wouldn't have been one probably had you wall waited for me, it's all on you now, starting until we lose

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’ve seen a lot of comments on here about who is now a good player, should be in the team etc.

Enthusiasm is great but this was one game against Salford. For many, this was their first big game in ages. Stretton for example is coming back from an injury so to rate him as not ready is a tad harsh. Important thing in my eyes was for the first time in ages we had a forward making intelligent runs. 

Ebosele is exciting to watch and has won two penalties now through his pace. But his final ball needs a bit of work. That will come.

There was acres of space in midfield last night which allowed Salford time in the first half and us time in the second. That can’t and won’t happen in the championship.

Last night’s game was naive and exciting. 

The only thing of relevance to the league was the confidence of a win.

Last night's game had the one factor that pretty much keeps us going - excitement. We need to playing exciting football to engage the fans. Probably got more chance of finishing mid table with that approach.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not picking on you, Patrick - just saw this post as one of many making the point, while I was scrolling through. For instance here's an analysis https://sci-hub.mksa.top/10.1080/02640410050074331 that specifically examines if it's better to put your best people first for this reason, or to do what the paper concludes which is that the optimal strategy is to put the worst of your 5 designated takes first, then the second-worst, and so on until you have your best taker last. 

Football's about opinions and people will have different ones, but I'd also say all professional sport is about fine margins and it's important to use every little thing to your advantage.

Some expert analysis here which just says no matter how adamant you are about football being about opinions, facts will always prevail. Ronaldo didn't take a penalty and Portugal lost. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1239093-portugals-penalty-failure-vs-spain-cristiano-ronaldo-shouldnt-have-been-last

Expert analysis from the world renowned Bleacher report.

I thought as ‘Rooney’ said in his interview the young lads grew into men during the game, you can see why he wants some more experienced pros into the club, just to help them, we can’t have that side from last night starting in the championship, but we can have them playing around 10 games a season alongside the experienced pros.Didn’t think any of them looked out of place.

It’s been a while since I enjoyed a match as much as that, just for the pure effort and desire that they put in, yes mistakes were made, which is understandable, but it showed that a lot of thes players could become regular 1st team players if handled properly and bulk up a bit, also loved the passion after Watson’s winning penalty.

A quick shout out about Brown as well, not many people have mentioned him, thought he went about his job effectively.Also I know a lot of people don’t want Rooney as manager, but after the match I actually thought, I hope he succeeds here and becomes a top manager, I have total respect for him not walking away, because I think most would have, are his tactics perfect? No, but just for sticking with us and sheer bloody mindness, I hope he does well.

finally a shout out to our fans, we seem to have this ‘we’re all in this together mentality’ after years of moaning and groaning from the stands, it’s great to hear us getting behind the lads, let’s hope this continues, we made need it.

coyr ????

Few post game thoughts

Festy - Seems such a nice lad. Really pleased to see him secure MOTM last night, something he thoroughly deserved. He's going to absolutely terrorise some LBs this season and is smart enough to know what aspects of his game he still needs to work on. He's going to be a seriously good player in time and to be honest, I just hope we can hang onto him for another year or two.

For anyone who has not seen it:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/08/Derby-county-vs-salford-city-carabao-cup-round-one-10th-august-2021-player-reaction-ramstv

Ravel - Wasted early, seemingly playing predominantly wide left, but was excellent playing more central and dropping deeper. As well as his technical ability (that half-volley ?), the lad is also strong defensively and he's deceptively rapid too. Salford struggled to get hear him all night. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12378287/ravel-morrison-scores-a-screamer-on-Derby-debut

The Young 'Uns, - Seemed to get bullied a little early doors, but they were all showing their teeth alright by the end of the game. I really liked what I saw. If we can just mind these lads a little, there's a bright future ahead. We've a fair old number of good young players on our books, thankfully!

Wazza-Watch - Zero to hero inside 60 minutes. Was him (I assume) that moved Ravel to the middle, so that's a definite brownie point. There also seems to be some good team spirit in spite of all the off-field malarkey and we definitely looked more cohesive going forward. The players look more comfortable on the ball and passed better than in recent times. They picked their moments to attack and did so with real intent. I get that the opposition was weak, but this was a completely makeshift side too and yet some quite positive signs. Jury remains out, but is thawing a little. 

The Game - Actually really enjoyed it. Not said that for a while. 

COYR

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Saturday 14th... Jan 2023? That's a bit optimistic but I'm looking forward to our first season in the Prem

I'm looking forward to our first season in the prem too , I've only seen one season since being alive that I remember in the prem , and we all know that season isn't something to think about ?

The young lads looked outmuscled and unsure early, but wow what guts and pride to fight back. Some good football too, after the first 20-25 we really took over. 

Missed Saturday as on holiday, and OK, it was only a small crowd...but magic to be back at PPS watching the Rams...and winning.

Bloke near me couldn't help himself but shout abuse at the players though, young lads included, whenever a pass went astray. Two young lads with him swearing their heads off and whining in their turn. Sad.

46 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Bloke near me couldn't help himself but shout abuse at the players though, young lads included, whenever a pass went astray. Two young lads with him swearing their heads off and whining in their turn. Sad.

Had to understand what benefit such people derive from attending games, but the vast majority of fans thus far have been brilliant. Long may it continue.

2 hours ago, sage said:

What's apparent so far after the few games I've seen and which is different to last season when we had little/no creativity going forward and just the same outlet (Byrne) each game, is that Watson, Ebosole, Sibley and Hutchinson, as well as Ravel are looking to thread defence-splitting passes through the lines. Expect to see more of that...reminds me of the Will Hughes era. ?

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

What's apparent so far after the few games I've seen and which is different to last season when we had little/no creativity going forward and just the same outlet (Byrne) each game, is that Watson, Ebosole, Sibley and Hutchinson, as well as Ravel are looking to thread defence-splitting passes through the lines. Expect to see more of that...reminds me of the Will Hughes era. ?

I tend to fear that throwing the kids into battle that is beyond them slowly stifles their joy of playing football.  Playing in a successful u23 and younger side gives them freedom to express their skills.  not sure how best to manage them but I'm not being paid millions for doing so.  Not convinced that the old phrase of if they a good enough they are old enough when playing in s ide short on skill and confidence