v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He can beat any player 1 on 1, but he manages it so often because he's willing to come inside just as often. Defenders have no idea if he's going to drift inside or speed past him. As powerful a runner as you'll find in League football, but extremely agile too.

Just needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

and also needs to work on end product. Quite often did the hard work only to then kick the ball straight out. He's certainly got potential though. 

32 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Louie Watson was getting a few groans in West Stand Lower because he was hesitant too often first half. He’s better in the middle when he has less time. 

Watson early on was frustrated by the lack of movement ahead of him. Overall he was good and will have gained confidence. When he does get a good runner ahead of him he sees it and shows excellent weight of pass. Love the way he looked to the left in his penalty run up. Truth be told was not a great pen but he confused the keeper right there. He should play no further forward than he did today. Would like to see him continue to start I think he’s ready

After all the adulation on here Sibley once again underwhelmed. Want to see a better first touch and sorry more pace on and off the ball ... 

wonderful for Ravel to have his glory moment. Will do him and us good. He’s on for it I reckon so well done WR on that one

Agree with those who say Stretton needs a loan spell in div 1 or 2.

Exciting to see Ebosele at full tilt but he’ll mostly appear as a sub this season I would guess.  Hutchinson also encouraging. 

pleased Allsop stopped the pens - he needed a morale booster after his early slip but given the flight of the ball I didn’t think that was as bad an error as the commentators made out 

Plenty to offer hope all things considered 

26 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Send the all to the oatcake or OTIB to learn.

How is mr pontarddulias on the bristol forum these days?

Obsessing over last nights totally irrelevant Al Jazeera helping and demanding the EFL come down hard, no quarter given and something about having and eating cake normally.  Historically, he tends to spend more time on here taking screenshots than his home forum.  Perhaps he's found a new victim to rage about in Reading, but we'll always be his favourite. 

200.gif

Most entertaining game of football I have watched since lampard was in charge. I know it was only Salford but honestly how great was it to be back in the stadium listening to fans sing to an empty North stand “give us a song”. Lots of goals won at the end a players that clearly care about Derby county!

On to the positive points from the game 

Ebosele - great to watch will be a very good player his pace is scary fast. 

Morrison - Can Rooney be the one to make it work for him? Good game overall can’t remember him loosing the ball, he keeps the ball moving well and at times ran at players who clearly didn’t fancy trying to tackle him knowing they'd foul him. Moved into CDM in second half and I thought it really suited him as he seemed more comfortable taking from the defenders and playing forwards, first half the midfielders didn’t take in forward often just recycled it. Part of his game I didn’t expect was he can put in a good tackle and read the game well when covering. One moment in particular though he thought he was fouled in the first half and he looked like he was about to have a paddy and feel sorry for himself that he didn’t get the foul but his first look up was to Rooney and not the ref. He got straight up and tracked back hard. IMO he may have a lot of respect for Rooney. Good goal and the fans sang his name. Really good start to his Derby career, I do think confidence is going to be massive for him.  (Only Salford though and he needs to take this into Peterborough!) 

From the squad, whereas this squad is lacking in quality, it seems to be making up for it in morale and togetherness. All the players celebrating together, calling for decisions together. Kissing the badges and engaging the fans. Sometimes it’s the underdogs that do well on the back of a bad situation and hopefully that will lead to a moderate safety for us this season.

Just got in from the match...

Well,it was certainly entertaining, especially when viewed from the south stand!

A nightmare first twenty minutes where our ongoing defensive frailties were laid bare and I'm sure will be one of our Achilles heals this season.

After that,despite a system of play that seemed detrimental to actually scoring goals,the boys came back into to contention by pure enthusiasm and hard work and and scored some.

I've got to say I really admire our academy players that have come to the fore and in many ways prefer them to our older journeymen.

In the end then,a victory won by the lads endeavour.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wow. I saw it totally different to you. Thought he had a really good game, always looking for the ball, going forward. Not that easy to get the ball off.

I think he did have a good game - considering his youth. Always hand up, in space running for the ball but their left flank was very strong and bullied him a bit he didn’t give up though. He was always wanting to advance which I think was one of the reasons Morrison kept dropping back a bit too much. I think he needs a year to build his strength. 

I’ve seen a lot of comments on here about who is now a good player, should be in the team etc.

Enthusiasm is great but this was one game against Salford. For many, this was their first big game in ages. Stretton for example is coming back from an injury so to rate him as not ready is a tad harsh. Important thing in my eyes was for the first time in ages we had a forward making intelligent runs. 

Ebosele is exciting to watch and has won two penalties now through his pace. But his final ball needs a bit of work. That will come.

There was acres of space in midfield last night which allowed Salford time in the first half and us time in the second. That can’t and won’t happen in the championship.

Last night’s game was naive and exciting. 

The only thing of relevance to the league was the confidence of a win.