v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

35 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

we got pounded at the beginning but the lads had the balls to fight back and hit a rich vein of form in the second half. 

I think this saves Rooney from the sack and it's the tip of the iceberg. You'd be nuts to think otherwise. 

No chance of Rooney being sacked or walking this season. When the going gets tough, Wayne gets tougher. He is utterly determined to succeed at Derby and I think that he will.

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

Did anyone else notice Rav make a big fuss of Watson after his winning penno? ?

Yes. Good shout.  And kazim and Byrne at half time talking with feisty. It looked like they were talking about positioning and starting points. Lots of work being done by senior players ‘off the ball’. 

10 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’m so unbelievably proud of our lads tonight. Rooney was spot on in saying they grew from boys into men during the 90 minutes. So many positives, we not only have extremely talented youngsters, they also have real bravery and character.

Take the first 20 mins out of it when nerves got the better of them, from that point they were outstanding. Festy is frightening!! Must be quickest player in the championship, Watson got better and better and demonstrated his ability to thread a killer pass on numerous occasions, great goal by Hutchinson, Williams at 17 looks a real talent and has improved rapidly in just 10 days since Notts County, the guts of Brown and Watson to take pens and score the best pens of the lot (behind Kazim’s). Sibley showed flashes of what he can do, thought Joz did ok and Allsop after a shaky start was excellent in goal. Then we get to Ravel, we saw the genius with the equaliser but I was more impressed how he was straight to the youngsters after the shootout. Only thing missing was for young Jack to get a goal, thought he struggled on his own up top but really intelligent runs at times, he just needs a goal. 

Thought Rooney spoke brilliantly after the game. Whatever his motivations he definitely cares and he’s committed. I also saw a young exciting footballing side tonight with lots of bottle that I can get behind.

We’ve seen a glimpse of what the future looks like tonight and it’s very encouraging. If Mel sorts his poo out then everything is there to become a force again at this level in the next couple of years. If he doesn’t then we might have to give them all away.

COYR ???????

Agreed x3 

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not picking on you, Patrick - just saw this post as one of many making the point, while I was scrolling through. For instance here's an analysis https://sci-hub.mksa.top/10.1080/02640410050074331 that specifically examines if it's better to put your best people first for this reason, or to do what the paper concludes which is that the optimal strategy is to put the worst of your 5 designated takes first, then the second-worst, and so on until you have your best taker last. 

Football's about opinions and people will have different ones, but I'd also say all professional sport is about fine margins and it's important to use every little thing to your advantage.

Personally I'd put best 4th and 2nd best 5th. Order being 54312

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You perhaps need to pop to SpecSavers. He has lovely technique and control of the ball. He tries too much sometimes or makes the wrong decision, but he's still young in experience.

Very unnecessary. I like him and respect what he brings to the team. Just saying what I see. I agree his touch is fine. I mean more his technical ability when striking the ball and when he isn't travelling, along with his decision making in terms of passing and in the final third but I agree that will come with experience. 

Not sure why you are being overly defensive and focusing on the negative when I am just giving a balanced view and also stating positives! It's fine for people to see the game differently.

I think he is a very dangerous asset for our squad to utilise so obviously I am very happy!

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You perhaps need to pop to SpecSavers. He has lovely technique and control of the ball. He tries too much sometimes or makes the wrong decision, but he's still young in experience.

Shows how different people see football as I agree with collo. Only seen him a couple of times but imo Ebosele is very good when running at people but just seems a bit clumsy almost at some of the basics. 

For me he's a winger and not a full back. He'll give some full backs a tough game with his raw pace and directness but there's something missing in his overall play. Happy to see how he develops and if he can improve on them though.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

See this is interesting to me because usually that's not how you'd see Watson getting described. I'm not watching tonight but if as it sounds like Watson is playing as one of the two DMs then what's curious is he isn't the first to be put in that position and be accused of what you've mentioned. I do wonder if the 4231 is artificially restrictive in this regard.

Louie Watson was getting a few groans in West Stand Lower because he was hesitant too often first half. He’s better in the middle when he has less time. 

2 minutes ago, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Very unnecessary. I like him and respect what he brings to the team. Just saying what I see. I agree his touch is fine. I mean more his technical ability when striking the ball and when he isn't travelling, along with his decision making in terms of passing and in the final third but I agree that will come with experience. 

And I see different.

That's the point isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Not sure why you are being overly defensive and focusing on the negative when I am just giving a balanced view and also stating positives! It's fine for people to see the game differently.

No you were being negative and I saw no need for it. Not balanced, didn't mention his potential or lack of experience. Called it differently. Why shouldn't I. Probably the first time you've seen him.

Best comments from the Salford FC forum

1. Having already beaten our Division Two (sorry Championship!) opponents in some style a fortnight ago in pre season it'll be interesting to see how both teams approach this tie. One would normally expect a home side two divisions higher than ourselves to field a weakened team although in Derby's case that would mean putting out young kids as they are currently operating under a transfer embargo as well as having budget constraints imposed on them. I really hope that we're going to go to Pride Park with the intention of fielding a strong side and looking for a win as anything else in my opinion would be a dereliction of duty to the travelling fans as well as the club itself. We're only one week into the new season and the first team players need game time to sharpen themselves up in all areas of the park. 

2.If Derby are as poor as they were a couple of weeks ago and we play our strongest team we've definitely a chance of winning.

3. As I understand it Derby can only play contracted players and youth players who played at least one league/FA Cup game last season. This is a hit to nothing, it will also give time for the team to bed in. If we are getting tonked, get the kids on and give them some experience. Derby may be there for the taking, why not.

4. Ah well, it wasn’t to be, The best team won in the end. I’d have been chuffed to have won, but it’s no bad thing that we can focus on the league.

Erm, nice bunch, unfortunately that's it.

Enjoyed watching the young lads tonight.

Winning the game in that way will do them the world of good.

But Mel Morris cannot allow this to be our squad for the season, he has to get things sorted and it has to happen now.

Some of these young players have so much potential but the majority aren't ready yet and could get ruined by being thrown in to early.

We are 2 centre back injuries from having Forsyth and Brown as out centre half pairing. 

I'm all for having 3-4 young lads in the squad on a match Day if needs be. I think Watson, Ebosele, Williams have a lot of potential. Players like Stretton are crying out to be loaned out to a league 2 club to get that experience.

It really is imperative that we sort out whatever needs sorting to allow Rooney to bring in who he needs to, because if not we can't afford an injury or a suspension this season.

5 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Best comments from the Salford FC forum

1. Having already beaten our Division Two (sorry Championship!) opponents in some style a fortnight ago in pre season it'll be interesting to see how both teams approach this tie. One would normally expect a home side two divisions higher than ourselves to field a weakened team although in Derby's case that would mean putting out young kids as they are currently operating under a transfer embargo as well as having budget constraints imposed on them. I really hope that we're going to go to Pride Park with the intention of fielding a strong side and looking for a win as anything else in my opinion would be a dereliction of duty to the travelling fans as well as the club itself. We're only one week into the new season and the first team players need game time to sharpen themselves up in all areas of the park. 

2.If Derby are as poor as they were a couple of weeks ago and we play our strongest team we've definitely a chance of winning.

3. As I understand it Derby can only play contracted players and youth players who played at least one league/FA Cup game last season. This is a hit to nothing, it will also give time for the team to bed in. If we are getting tonked, get the kids on and give them some experience. Derby may be there for the taking, why not.

4. Ah well, it wasn’t to be, The best team won in the end. I’d have been chuffed to have won, but it’s no bad thing that we can focus on the league.

Erm, nice bunch, unfortunately that's it.

Thinking people posting common sense on a football messageboard?

It'll never catch on.