v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can only assume you're referring to his passing range and end product? Try focusing on a players strengths and nor his weaknesses... his strength is is strength. 

Someone in another thread a month ago said he'd get bullied by lower league footballers, we certainly didn't see that tonight. 

I am not focused on anything, that's why I have given a balanced view of what I think he brings to the team - both strengths and weaknesses. Apologies if I didn't put the point across properly.

Just replied to @Andicissomething similar to clarify - ' Not trying to be overly critical as I respect what he brings to the team; just saying what I see. He looks extremely awkward when he has the ball and isn't running with it (if that makes sense) and his technique isn't that of a natural footballer.

But like I said, his pace is frightening and it is nice to see a Derby player that can beat a man for a change; I think he will be a good asset for us and be a very dangerous tool for Rooney to use. We have enough cultured footballers with lots of technical ability so will be a nice balance to have some raw. direct pace!'

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Great goal, thought he might have imposed himself a bit more, hopefully he will get better.

Had to drop deep to get on the ball but used it well, after about 30mins we seemed to change tactics to suit him dropping deep which saw Hutchinson utilise the space left by Morrison which resulted in him being in position for the first goal.

I'm a bit concerned after Wazzas post match Sky interview. He once again mentioned about restoring the pride and dignity in the club. 

That in itself is not cause for concern but we all know what happened last time he trotted out that line after a game against Salford. Colleen you've been warned. 

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not sure about that. I can see the merit in your best penalty taker going first to get off to a good start rather than risk chasing the penalty shoot out. If your best penalty taker goes last, there is always a risk he wouldn’t even get to take one.

Well said! Ridiculous comment to suggest your best penalty takers go last...If you score your first 3 penalties and your goalie does his job the last 2 penalties wouldn't even need to be taken.!

Just now, Andicis said:

Even when we had a good side in the Championship, we always used to struggle with these cup ties against lower league teams. They leave everything out there and make it difficult for you. They aren't as good quality as what we will play every week, but they worked incredibly hard and were a tricky opponent. 

They offer a different type of challenge yes but I'm not kidding myself that Salford are as big a challenge as Huddersfield for instance. They're not and that's why they are 2 divisions below us. I think it's a really good result in the context of going 2 down, playing some of the younger lads who recovered well and actually scored a few goals for once. I do think they should be stuck with for future cup games, especially given how up against it we are in the league this year. However, I'm personally not getting overexcited about the result. 

4 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Just watched Salfords first goal again. We'd stand a better chance if joz started on the back post. We had nobody at all on the back post. Its easier to come forward off the post to head one away than stand where joz is not knowing whats going in behind him. Really is basics. We need to work on someone taking charge on the pitch of defending set pieces  

He stands on the back post and following the same tactics, we concede more goals. We need to put one of our biggest, not our smallest player on the front post. Consider this a carbon copy of how we scored against huddersfield. They put holmes on the front post, he got a head on it and we turn it in at the back post. We put one of our smallest on the front post, he got a head on and they turn it in at the back post.

Man marking is the way to go. If someone man marks me here, I dont score. 

yes I just want to share this ?

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

Another step towards rebuilding the confidence that had deserted us towards the end of last season.

Tough situation we found ourselves in, yet we dug deep and put our name in the hat for the next round.

Another chance to accelerate the younger lads learning, another boost to the confidence, what's not to like?

..........if you don't like it, you can get on your bike with the Salford Lads!

3 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

How come Dylan Williams could be registered? Looked class he did

He worked hard, made runs, won some corners, made himself available but I don’t think he’s anything like ready.

seriously out muscled, didn’t seem tricky enough to actually get the cross in and Joz was crying out for to do wall passes/give and goes but too often he’d play safe. Morrison was playing left back sometimes as cover and Fozzy had to bail him out at the end. He’s a good lad with the right attitude but he needs time to grow in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm a bit concerned after Wazzas post match Sky interview. He once again mentioned about restoring the pride and dignity in the club. 

That in itself is not cause for concern but we all know what happened last time he trotted out that line after a game against Salford. Colleen you've been warned. 

Don't read much into it, he was just trying to get away from the ground so him and the boys could go for a couple of ales to celebrate after the game. Don't worry...Mel is laying on taxis.

Its a very good result. Agree that we will play better teams in the league but don't think saying its only salford is fair. Some youngsters were starting their first game and as an 11 that side wont start a game as a collective in the league this season

Players that played tonight will play this season again but we also have, roos, knight, davies, stearman, byrne, knight, bird & lawrence to come in & colin & shinnie to start. Plus Ravel to get up to speed fully. 

Tonight was probably not far off the weakest side rooney could legally field with the restrictions on senior players.

Good result & good experience for players that will need to come into the side on match day in the league