Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

Just now, bimmerman said:

Surely kazim would have been a better choice,strong leader,outspoken about stamping out racism..can't see how this can be a good idea making tom captain

I agree CKR would have a decent choice but I don’t really see that his admirable views and comments about racism should be a factor. We need a leader out there on the pitch. It remains to be seen if Tom proves to be that person but I’m prepared to give him a chance.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree CKR would have a decent choice but I don’t really see that his admirable views and comments about racism should be a factor. We need a leader out there on the pitch. It remains to be seen if Tom proves to be that person but I’m prepared to give him a chance.

I'd hazard a guess from what I've seen that kazim probably is a leader in the dressing room,plus the club could do with some good press atm as well!!!

17 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I'd hazard a guess from what I've seen that kazim probably is a leader in the dressing room,plus the club could do with some good press atm as well!!!

I think Rooney has just recognised that Tom is a good player and we need to get more out of him. He hopes that by giving him the armband, it brings the best out of him on the pitch. He can't hide or get lost in games because he is the captain. He is forced to step up and perform to a high level week in week out. Let's hope it works. 

20 hours ago, roboto said:

Hope he proves the neigh sayers wrong.

I actually think this could work out great. He played some of his best football when he was the main man at Ipswich. Perhaps goving him the armband is Rooney’s way of giving him that ego boost to get the best out of him. We certainly need his best next season.

Hope he proves the neigh sayers wrong?  You are horsing around, surely?  Rooney backing the wrong pony here.

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't agree it is undoubted - he has moments of excellence, some clear ability but he has been here four years now (got the Captain gig as he is one of our most experienced players, yeah!). Reading (a), Huddersfield (h) season before last are two games I remember him using a moment or two of brilliance to turn a game around - I'm sure there are others I must be forgetting but I'm not falling over myself with memories. He's an OK squad member, certainly a team member with the bare bones squad we have but he is not this great talent waiting to burst through and amaze us - that moment has passed a long time since.

But, I wish him well, hope it goes well for him and us - we need all our gambles to pay off if we are to stay up. But I don't see it happening.

Think you've proven my point to an extent. He has moments of genius but he lacks consistency & discipline. Being captain requires both of those attributes to improve & the hope is that this appointment will focus his mind - particularly with him playing for a last big contract probably elsewhere (he's 28 in Jan) & wanting to be part of a Welsh squad going to the World Cup next year.

Did see some promising signs from him back end of last season (during an atrocious run for the team in general) - scored 3 in our last 7, looked menacing in general & worked hard. Perhaps Rooney is able to get the best out of him. We will see.

It's a gamble but it could work! He's been here for awhile. He's one of the few (in recent seasons) to get mad on the pitch when things get sour. He can be dirty and wake up the team. He can make something out of nothing. If he gets Keogh's eyes I'm defitanely sold. Also people hate him, always a bonus.

It's worth noting that only Fozzy and Wisdom (although not confirmed for next season) have played more games for the club.

I can see why he has been chosen as he will start more games than most of the other players that you would say shoyld/could be captain, only Shinnie really would match him for game time. 

Also he should know Ravel Morrison from their youth days at Man Utd, so could be that little bit of extra help they both need. 

Edited by rynny

17 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

In my opinion Tom has not shown any leadership in his past 4 years here, so i'm not sure it's the attribute Wayne has based his captaincy decision on.....

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

In my opinion Tom has not shown any leadership in his past 4 years here, so i'm not sure it's the attribute Wayne has based his captaincy decision on.....

I haven't seen any either but Wayne works with him every day so perhaps know's more about his personality and potential than we do.

4 hours ago, Taribo said:

I just watched the “announcement” why would anyone in the Derby County media team think that was a good thing to put out to the world…? The most uninspiring talk I have ever heard… You are supposed to want to run through brick walls for the manager and captain, after hearing that I doubt any of them would run to the shops for a curly wurly for either of them. 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

I just watched the “announcement” why would anyone in the Derby County media team think that was a good thing to put out to the world…? The most uninspiring talk I have ever heard… You are supposed to want to run through brick walls for the manager and captain, after hearing that I doubt any of them would run to the shops for a curly wurly for either of them. 

If Captain Tom does well then he may be promoted to Major Tom. Just saying. We need to soldier on and see where it takes us.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

If you do get s curly wurly get me one as I have not seen them in shops for years.