Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

Nah, I’m not having defence of Lawrence after that today. Absolutely pathetic from a player of his experience to hit out like that. Cannot even begin to describe my anger at him when he threw away our man advantage, the forum rules won’t let me say what I’d like to about him. Pure petulance from a man with history of it. Could have cost us the game today, and could still cost us survival. Let his team mates down badly, and I hope he’s apologised to them all, as well as the fans. 

Comparing that to the other reds we’ve had is nonsensical. None of the others were pure petulance like that. There’s only one player in our squad who does that sort of thing. It’s a shame, because he is a great player. I thought he’d grown up with the captaincy. Today suggests I was wrong.

Edited by Millenniumram

4 hours ago, Yani P said:

Like I said earlier he has had a superb season, brain fade today, but hopefully he comes back and leads the charge to keep us up.

That’s where I’m at with Lawrence, everyone in the ground saw the red mist, Rooney is so right in his approach, I just remember the stunning goals he’s scored that have put us in the place to be challengingly to stay up.

Yes he lost it, but let’s not pile on, he’s earned us so many points this season, we have no idea if it makes us weaker next few games, it could give someone else a chance and as Rooney said Tom a breather. So glad I don’t have Twitter, anyone piling in should think on, 4 games time, we might be needing him to inspire us again.

2 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Without reading back… is it only me who thought he was unlucky my to get sent off? Silly to dangle his foot. But there would be about 20 sendings off a season like that. 

thought the ref was just evening it up 

No, I think it’s only you.

He didn’t dangle his foot - he went after him sadly. It was a genuine leg breaker.

3 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Without reading back… is it only me who thought he was unlucky my to get sent off? Silly to dangle his foot. But there would be about 20 sendings off a season like that. 

I havent seen it back but it does sound worse than I first thought. At the time when it happened I thought it was a strong tackle/block attempt and was a yellow but as I said having not seen it back & what others have said it does sound like it was a red

Can't believe I'm stooping to this level but how are we crucifying Lawrence as the biggest hothead we have when we're hero worshipping Sibley? And we're managed by Long Studs himself?

Humans do human things. It was stupid. Move on. People make mistakes. Do we really want to pile onto a player at this crucial stage of the season, after a massive three points today?

Our unity is our strength, be critical but be reasonable. Be critical in good faith, not because you want your pound of flesh for his error.

It was stupid. I was annoyed. I have already forgiven him. To err is human...

30 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

It is you! But I do think ref got a call from EFL House at half time asking him what he was thinking giving them a red

I have to admit to being influenced by Curtis Davis’ reaction to Lawrence’s sending off.  He just put his arm around him as he went off. 

Lawrence has his flaws, so do we all but it said to me that this team is together regardless off the problems that are in our way.

I'm happy to share that response and resolve as this is a team that you can love and feel part of, isn’t it?

It wasn't "a genuine leg" breaker as there was no broken leg.  It did appear (to me) that it could have been though.

Take other players' history... and that of our manager... out of the equation.  We all know that two wrongs do not make a right, so I assume the same applies to more than two wrongs!

If he's such an influential game-changing player that some are claiming, then of course that's going to lower our overall performances in the next 3 games.  We just have to hope it doesn't similarly affect the results!

Must admit, with fading eyesight from my NE vantage point, my initial reaction at the time was taken just as much from the surrounding reaction as from the act itself.  Yes, it looked bad in real time, from that distance, but the Oohs from the more local fans, the way the guy went down, and the way the players reacted... Plus Tom's reaction himself, just confirmed my initial reaction.  There was no surprise to anyone that a straight red came out... and no pleas of innocence either!

I would like to see a replay though, if there's one out there. 

Is it possible to have forgiven him already, but still think he's been a tuu@t?  I think that's where I'm now at.  ?