Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

32 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have waited a long time to see the Lawrence that was so good at Ipswich . There is no doubt that he has his heart set on playing in the Qatar World Cup. After all in can be a once in a lifetime event . If he is going to win his place back in the Wales squad he will have to be playing for a top Championship team.  Let’s pray it is with us

That's a fair point, I wouldn't blame him for leaving in that case.

16 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have waited a long time to see the Lawrence that was so good at Ipswich . There is no doubt that he has his heart set on playing in the Qatar World Cup. After all in can be a once in a lifetime event . If he is going to win his place back in the Wales squad he will have to be playing for a top Championship team.  Let’s pray it is with us

So we've got about 10months?  We'd best get on it!  ?

Interestingly it's only dawned on me this morning that his output has been a whole lot better. Up front he seems to be getting the grip of leading the line. 3 goals in the last 3 and the nice assist for Ebosele in the game before that.

Other than his Bournemouth goal, he's a lot less flashy and he's doing what he does well which is slotting right into where he needs to be and making defenders sweat with his work rate.

If we don't expect worldies from him all the time and he's given responsibility to just spearhead our attacking moves he is able to contribute a whole lot more. He's been much less wasteful due to this also, can't count the amount of speculative efforts I've seen him smash over the bar from outside the box in the past which he does a lot less of.

The armband might be a bit of genius after all

Edited by Tombo
Clarification

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was a captain’s performance yesterday. Incredible. Finally after 5 years fans chanting his name. If that is his last game then what a way to go out. He’s been excellent this season and in the second half of his Derby career (last season was heavily interrupted by injury).

Hope he stays a bit longer and we can see more of that.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Looks like Toms time at DCFC is about to come to an end. It could save us around £600,000 in wages. His time here has been a real rollercoaster ride. But he would leave us with some good goals to remember.

No chance of keeping him beyond the summer. A chunk off the wagebill too, BUT, we can’t replace him…

Edited by StaffsRam

[Rooney:]"I have spoken to Tom, of course. Sometimes it is difficult when we are in this situation and you are out of contract in the summer and there are big offers from a personal point of view at stake, but Tom has never come in to me and said he wants to leave. 

He is fighting for us, he is fighting for the club, he is club captain and he is doing everything he can to try and help us."

Never liked the bloke, never liked Rooney either.

But these two are absolutely our two most important people at the club by a long way and I don't think Tom would be fighting like he is if Rooney hadn't made him captain.

I'm half tempted to bet that if Rooney stays at the end of the season then so will Tom - regardless of Championship or League One status. 

(Pie in the sky if we do go down and pretty sure I shot down someone on here for saying the same things a few months ago, but Wayne could just maybe persuade Tom a year to get us back up and load in some hefty League One promotion bonuses in his new contract..... maybe..)

15 hours ago, Taribo said:

Never liked the bloke, never liked Rooney either.

But these two are absolutely our two most important people at the club by a long way and I don't think Tom would be fighting like he is if Rooney hadn't made him captain.

I'm half tempted to bet that if Rooney stays at the end of the season then so will Tom - regardless of Championship or League One status. 

(Pie in the sky if we do go down and pretty sure I shot down someone on here for saying the same things a few months ago, but Wayne could just maybe persuade Tom a year to get us back up and load in some hefty League One promotion bonuses in his new contract..... maybe..)

You can’t expect a lad who’s next contract could be the biggest in his career to possibly risk it all in league 1.  I think he’s shown respect in not forcing a jan move. We need to let him go and not hold him back, same with Knight.

21 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You can’t expect a lad who’s next contract could be the biggest in his career to possibly risk it all in league 1.  I think he’s shown respect in not forcing a jan move. We need to let him go and not hold him back, same with Knight.

You only have to go back 3 or 4 pages to see some of the comments as to why he’s entitled to move.

Football is a fickle game at times, opinions change so quickly. Toms gone from so many piling in and slating him, to almost hero status in a few months.

I’m just pleased he’s proven a few people wrong, he might not be on it 90 minutes, every game, but without him we’d be sunk and almost out of it by now. Whenever he goes, I just hope it’s with an happy ending.

28 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

You only have to go back 3 or 4 pages to see some of the comments as to why he’s entitled to move.

Football is a fickle game at times, opinions change so quickly. Toms gone from so many piling in and slating him, to almost hero status in a few months.

I’m just pleased he’s proven a few people wrong, he might not be on it 90 minutes, every game, but without him we’d be sunk and almost out of it by now. Whenever he goes, I just hope it’s with an happy ending.

You can't beat a happy ending...... but in all seriousness Tom will want to resurrect his international career and i don't see him doing that with us especially if we drop a division. 

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

You can't beat a happy ending...... but in all seriousness Tom will want to resurrect his international career and i don't see him doing that with us especially if we drop a division. 

We will need a John Gregory type who is prepared to drop down to league one ( third division) to help us if we end up in that league