Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

• 2 weeks later...

Might be an unpopular suggestion, but how about we give the guy a break? The whole team has battled so hard this season and Tom is arguably having his best season in a Derby shirt. Yes he made a mistake but we all do and it's pretty harsh to come down on him for one indiscretion. Everyone deserves a a break after one mistake!

COYR! ?

13 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Might be an unpopular suggestion, but how about we give the guy a break? The whole team has battled so hard this season and Tom is arguably having his best season in a Derby shirt. Yes he made a mistake but we all do and it's pretty harsh to come down on him for one indiscretion. Everyone deserves a a break after one mistake!

COYR! ?

?

"On Lawrence's red card, Rooney said: "It is stupid, a stupid tackle from him, he knows that.

"He has reacted. I think he got a bang to his head, and he has reacted.

"I have said to him he is very lucky he has got a manager who understands that situation because I have done it many times myself.

"It is disappointing that we lose him for three games now and it is a chance for somebody else to come in.

"We have had to deal with a lot of different things this season and setbacks. He is our captain, he has been great for us, he'll miss the next three games.

I want my players to be aggressive, getting up to the ball. You can be aggressive in how you run, how you hold yourself. I asked that of the players, but I also asked for no stupid red cards, and Tom knows that. It is a stupid one.

If we can pick up some good results in those three games it actually could work well for us and for him in terms of getting freshness back in his legs.

"I will give him the option to take some time off. You might think why not punish him for that, but we have to look beyond that and look what is best for him and get the best from him in the remaining games he is available for."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-lawrence-rooney-peterborough-6689570

1 hour ago, Big Bad Bob said:

COYR! ?

Nope, think of the poor people who've been sat waiting all season to be able to have a go at Lawrence, this is the best day of their season.

The Lawrence pile on is massively disproportionate to the costly red cards of other players this season. Is it just cause it’s Lawrence with all the history and baggage he has? It was stupid, he misses 3 games, he has played a massive part so far this season and will still contribute before the season is over. Stearman and Ravel are both back, Bielik building more and more, Sibley eager to take his chance, and others to come back from injury. Let’s hope we don’t miss TL too much these 3 games as we’ve still got options in the squad and plenty to play for. Stick together and keep the faith folks ? 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The Lawrence pile on is massively disproportionate to the costly red cards of other players this season. Is it just cause it’s Lawrence with all the history and baggage he has? It was stupid, he misses 3 games, he has played a massive part so far this season and will still contribute before the season is over. Stearman and Ravel are both back, Bielik building more and more, Sibley eager to take his chance, and others to come back from injury. Let’s hope we don’t miss TL too much these 3 games as we’ve still got options in the squad and plenty to play for. Stick together and keep the faith folks ? 

I don't think any of our other red cards were from an over the top tackle that was meant to hurt another player...that's the stupid part of it, I'm glad the Peterboro player was OK it could have been a damn site worse...luck was on TLs side today.

Maybe just maybe this could be a blessing in disguise, Get him away from the pressure cooker enviroment, And back a little bit wiser and less headstrong.

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I don't think any of our other red cards were from an over the top tackle that was meant to hurt another player...that's the stupid part of it, I'm glad the Peterboro player was OK it could have been a damn site worse...luck was on TLs side today.

Maybe just maybe this could be a blessing in disguise, Get him away from the pressure cooker enviroment, And back a little bit wiser and less headstrong.

Fair point. His was definitely a moment of idiocy compared to say Stearman or Morrison’s, I take that. I just don’t get how quickly some people on social media have turned nasty when we’ve seen such unity for the most part this season.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Fair point. His was definitely a moment of idiocy compared to say Stearman or Morrison’s, I take that. I just don’t get how quickly some people on social media have turned nasty when we’ve seen such unity for the most part this season.

Cos they're mardy duckwits!

Edited by RoyMac5

I'm all for giving Tom a pat on the back, and offering him an arm around his shoulders, but let's at least keep to the facts.

1/  This is not his first indiscretion.
2/  Comparing today's red card with other recent ones is not even a fair comparison.  All the others were purely down to players making a hash of what they were doing.  Today's was purely down to red mist, deliberate and considered revenge, and downright stupidity.  (As was a previous red of his, for laying the nut on someone!)

Yes, as with his previous indiscretion(s), I'm sure I'll forgive him.  And I'm sure it won't take me long to do so.
Yes, of course I hope him missing the next 3 games doesn't cost us. 
No, I don't think he deserves a holiday, but then immediately yes, of course it may well do him... and us... a lot of good in the long run, so I can certainly appreciate the method in Rooney's madness.  Here's hoping he's the hero of the run-in.

He's let us and himself down today.  He will know that already.  He won't need others to tell him... but he should still be told!
I assume he feels a bit of a tit this evening... and that's good enough punishment imo.

Onwards... and hopefully upwards.  ?

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don't do twitter so not aware, It was a moment of madness...I understand that, Next 3 games are very important now...so fingers crossed ?

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"On Lawrence's red card, Rooney said: "It is stupid, a stupid tackle from him, he knows that.

"He has reacted. I think he got a bang to his head, and he has reacted.

"I have said to him he is very lucky he has got a manager who understands that situation because I have done it many times myself.

"It is disappointing that we lose him for three games now and it is a chance for somebody else to come in.

"We have had to deal with a lot of different things this season and setbacks. He is our captain, he has been great for us, he'll miss the next three games.

I want my players to be aggressive, getting up to the ball. You can be aggressive in how you run, how you hold yourself. I asked that of the players, but I also asked for no stupid red cards, and Tom knows that. It is a stupid one.

If we can pick up some good results in those three games it actually could work well for us and for him in terms of getting freshness back in his legs.

"I will give him the option to take some time off. You might think why not punish him for that, but we have to look beyond that and look what is best for him and get the best from him in the remaining games he is available for."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-lawrence-rooney-peterborough-6689570

If that’s what the big man has said then he is forgiven. 

35 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm all for giving Tom a pat on the back, and offering him an arm around his shoulders, but let's at least keep to the facts.

1/  This is not his first indiscretion.
2/  Comparing today's red card with other recent ones is not even a fair comparison.  All the others were purely down to players making a hash of what they were doing.  Today's was purely down to red mist, deliberate and considered revenge, and downright stupidity.  (As was a previous red of his, for laying the nut on someone!)

Yes, as with his previous indiscretion(s), I'm sure I'll forgive him.  And I'm sure it won't take me long to do so.
Yes, of course I hope him missing the next 3 games doesn't cost us. 
No, I don't think he deserves a holiday, but then immediately yes, of course it may well do him... and us... a lot of good in the long run, so I can certainly appreciate the method in Rooney's madness.  Here's hoping he's the hero of the run-in.

He's let us and himself down today.  He will know that already.  He won't need others to tell him... but he should still be told!
I assume he feels a bit of a tit this evening... and that's good enough punishment imo.

Onwards... and hopefully upwards.  ?

Like this you mean

pat6.jpg