Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Stevie mac on sky has just heaps so much praise on Wayne I wouldn't be surprised if they announced their engagement later.

I spotted him in his normal spot yesterday taking notes in the first half then shot off at half time...hopefully he is helping Rooney with his observations on the game again.

5 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Praising his determination, attitude, not scared to make mistakes, potential he sees in him as a manager ,well anything you can think of he was Praising him for.

Also talked about setting out his way of playing, didn't have chance last season as we were fighting all the time. But said we're seeing it now, preseason and after 20 minutes yesterday.

You can see what he's trying to do. He's instilling some freedom and a "don't be scared to fail" attitude in the players.  Watson (and Joz to be fair) pinged some great balls through to feet last night which then set up attacking opportunities. OK, it didn't come off every time but Rooney consistently says he wants his players to be brave.  The more they do this, the more opportunities I think we'll create, the more their confidence will grow and the less backwards and sideways passes will be seen.  We've started this season more like I think Rooney wants to play, i.e. look for that forward pass or attack.  Last season we saw more of the latter as it was more a case of "we must not lose" mentality so retain the ball at all costs. One thing I saw last night was that the players believe in what he's doing - there is definitely a strong team bond forming between the players and manager and that can only be a good thing. 

3 hours ago, tombomb said:

The support was only good when it looked like a comeback was on. It wasn't so good when we were 2-0 down and there were moans, groans and even the odd boo coming out of the crowd. We were playing our academy kids....support them

Were you there?! Gheeze I was in the south stand and we didn’t stop singing, even as the goals went in the fans just carried on as if nothing had happened, there was some quiet groans when a pass went astray but there was at no stage… I repeat no stage! “Boo’s”. 

The fans there,  I felt, were really understanding of the situation we’re in and the players on the pitch. Even 2-0 down singing Rooneys name! 

6 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Were you there?! Gheeze I was in the south stand and we didn’t stop singing, even as the goals went in the fans just carried on as if nothing had happened, there was some quiet groans when a pass went astray but there was at no stage… I repeat no stage! “Boo’s”. 

The fans there,  I felt, were really understanding of the situation we’re in and the players on the pitch. Even 2-0 down singing Rooneys name! 

No, I was watching on the tv so will take your word that it was better in the stadium. Probably sky pumping fake boos down the microphone to stir up a story. 

• 1 month later...

I'm fed up with the current Wayne Rooney thread so am continuing on this one. There's an article in the Telegraph to quote from:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/18/Derby-county-temporarily-lift-gloom-victory-stoke-administration/

"Rooney revealed he only found out the news on Friday night at his Knutsford home, while also admitting he had not spoken to owner Mel Morris for weeks...It’s a very difficult and emotional moment for everyone,” he said. “We’re going to have tough times ahead in the near future but it’s my job to start rebuilding this club.

“If it is nine or 12 points [deducted] we might have a chance [of survival]. If it goes beyond that then we might have to start preparing for League One as well. We have to look at every possibility, and treat it very seriously.

I’d imagine there will be staff members who will lose their jobs, who have mortgages and bills to pay. To have that snatched away from them is heartbreaking.

“These fans deserve my full attention and I’ve got to make it a more attractive club for potential investors to come in. It’s important to get the right people to run this club properly.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm fed up with the current Wayne Rooney thread so am continuing on this one. There's an article in the Telegraph to quote from:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/18/Derby-county-temporarily-lift-gloom-victory-stoke-administration/

"Rooney revealed he only found out the news on Friday night at his Knutsford home, while also admitting he had not spoken to owner Mel Morris for weeks...It’s a very difficult and emotional moment for everyone,” he said. “We’re going to have tough times ahead in the near future but it’s my job to start rebuilding this club.

“If it is nine or 12 points [deducted] we might have a chance [of survival]. If it goes beyond that then we might have to start preparing for League One as well. We have to look at every possibility, and treat it very seriously.

“I’d imagine there will be staff members who will lose their jobs, who have mortgages and bills to pay. To have that snatched away from them is heartbreaking.

“These fans deserve my full attention and I’ve got to make it a more attractive club for potential investors to come in. It’s important to get the right people to run this club properly.”

Well said, Mr Rooney.

His role as a leader has already transcended his role as manager of a football team.

And it has clearly demonstrated to Morris what leadership actually is.

Rooney seems to be a person who is at his best in a crisis. 

He's got plenty wrong in his time with dcfc, but he is spot on with this response and it would be churlish to think otherwise or see ulterior motives. 

I wish him well, with dcfc and beyond. Hopefully one day he'll be able to look back fondly on these times as "character building". ?

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Well said, Mr Rooney.

His role as a leader has already transcended his role as manager of a football team.

And it has clearly demonstrated to Morris what leadership actually is.

It's a tremendous statement from Wayne. We all know he's been a bit silly in his (near) past, who hasn't. But there is no doubting his commitment to the people at the club. Hopefully we will see his ability as a manager blossom too.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's a tremendous statement from Wayne. We all know he's been a bit silly in his (near) past, who hasn't. But there is no doubting his commitment to the people at the club. Hopefully we will see his ability as a manager blossom too.

You’re right Roy. What pleases me more than anything and regardless of results is that these players work for their manager. To reverse and old cliche …. He has the dressing room. That counts way more than 4312 433 or overlapping wing backs

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

“I’d imagine there will be staff members who will lose their jobs, who have mortgages and bills to pay. To have that snatched away from them is heartbreaking.

“These fans deserve my full attention and I’ve got to make it a more attractive club for potential investors to come in. It’s important to get the right people to run this club properly.”

Even my wife, who has no interest in football, commented on Rooney’s concern for the staff who inevitably will become collateral damage in all this. I thought he spoke with humility and sincerity about the staff and I’m giving him bonus points for the beautifully crafted dig at the shyster’s running of the club. 

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

Even my wife, who has no interest in football, commented on Rooney’s concern for the staff who inevitably will become collateral damage in all this. I thought he spoke with humility and sincerity about the staff and I’m giving him bonus points for the beautifully crafted dig at the shyster’s running of the club. 

Yes, I think it is too easy to dismiss Rooney the 'media caricature'. I am a fan and hope he turns into as good a manager as his promise suggests. It's a long road but I hope we get chance to find out.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, I think it is too easy to dismiss Rooney the 'media caricature'. I am a fan and hope he turns into as good a manager as his promise suggests. It's a long road but I hope we get chance to find out.

Well he certainly deserves a crack with some stability around him in my opinion.

Admittedly, he cheesed me off last season, the Cardiff/Coventry away games spring to mind but there were others, oh Rotherham away was a bad one too but I’m impressed he’s got us into double figures already this season and if you take into account the blunders you can’t legislate for this season that are in no way down to Rooney, we could have been bothering the top 6 at this early stage. 

I think it’s a remarkable turn around when you add the deceit he has had to deal with since his appointment. 

Hey, you could have been right all along Roy?

This guys deserves more than 17k Derby fans at the next home game. 

How many DCFC supporters across the country were devastated to hear the news last night. 

If we can have any chance of survival, we need a close to packed PP for every game. 

Im so so proud of the players, fans and staff behind the scenes who care so much about this football club who came out fighting today. People power saw us through and by golly gosh do we need more of this. 

Onto Sheff Utd where I know that the away end will be packed and singing the whole game. 3 points next Saturday and the great escape is on, we can do it. 

Mel Morris, get out of OUR club.