Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Even my wife, who has no interest in football, commented on Rooney’s concern for the staff who inevitably will become collateral damage in all this. I thought he spoke with humility and sincerity about the staff and I’m giving him bonus points for the beautifully crafted dig at the shyster’s running of the club. 

I think he is growing in his role as manager and as a person. He’s got my full respect and more importantly of the dressing room they are giving everything for him. ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58611828

Rams players 'had no information'

..."I spoke to (chief financial officer) Stephen Pearce after, but initially I saw it on the TV," Rooney said.

"This morning it was a bit flat because, by me not getting all the information, the players had no information and they saw it on Sky as well.

"I haven't spoken with Mel. I am sure he has got other things on his mind.

"I've had no contact with Mel for a while now so it's been very difficult for me to address the fans when I don't know what the situation is.

"All we can do is play with a lot of pride. My job is to bring some dignity back to the club.

"I've said a few times I'm committed to this club and to the group of players and the staff, I care about them, so I'll keep doing everything I can to help us get through this.

"I think we will get through this for the better. We are going to have tough times ahead in the near future but it's my job now to start rebuilding this club and trying to put it back together."

When he first said his job was to bring the dignity and pride back to the club a while ago, I raised an eyebrow, particularly given what happened later that evening.

Wayne Rooney has many talents, but I thought that was something of a stretch.

Yet in a time of crisis, it turns out he is actually a real leader, and has the emotional depth and intelligence to become a figurehead.

I wanted him gone last season, even started a thread saying so, but recent events have made me re-evaluate his contribution.

He's the leader of the resistance, and today was a test he pulled off with aplomb.

More tests lie ahead, somehow this might not be the darkest moment, but I now see we've got a steady hand on the tiller.

Edited by Rev
Dropped a K

20 minutes ago, Rev said:

When he first said his job was to bring the dignity and pride back to the club a while ago, I raised an eyebrow, particularly given what happened later that evening.

Yet in a time of crisis, it turns out he is actually a real leader, and has the emotional depth and intelligence to become a figurehead.

I wanted him gone last season, even started a thread saying so, but recent events have made me re-evaluate his contribution.

He's the leader of the resistance, and today was a test he pulled off with aplomb.

More tests lie ahead, somehow this might not be the darkest moment, but I know see we've got a steady hand on the tiller.

This.

He made mistakes learning on the job last year, he might make a few more, but considering the bum hand he’s been dealt, he’s showing his leadership and fighting characteristics in one. He doesn’t flap, he’s not moaning, just getting on with the job.

What is clear, the players believe in him and are not just playing with pride, they’re actually implementing his tactics remarkably well, given the threadbare nature of our squad. For all Rooney has done wrong, lacking maturity at times, he’s actually proving a good mentor to our youngsters and the whole team are responding to his tactics.

Going to be a long season, but Rooney comes across with far more sincerity, than anything we’ve heard from the boardroom in a long while. His comments on the staff losing jobs for me were both heartfelt and genuine. 

Whatever happens, his stock is rising amongst Derby fans and rightfully so. Keep up the good work Wayne ?

We as fans should believe in him.

Edited by Zag zig

42 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

This.

He made mistakes learning on the job last year, he might make a few more, but considering the bum hand he’s been dealt, he’s showing his leadership and fighting characteristics in one. He doesn’t flap, he’s not moaning, just getting on with the job.

What is clear, the players believe in him and are not just playing with pride, they’re actually implementing his tactics remarkably well, given the threadbare nature of our squad. For all Rooney has done wrong, lacking maturity at times, he’s actually proving a good mentor to our youngsters and the whole team are responding to his tactics.

Going to be a long season, but Rooney comes across with far more sincerity, than anything we’ve heard from the boardroom in a long while. His comments on the staff losing jobs for me were both heartfelt and genuine. 

Whatever happens, his stock is rising amongst Derby fans and rightfully so. Keep up the good work Wayne ?

We as fans should believe in him.

He is now our leader.

I find myself caring less about the football and more about the dignity of which he speaks. 

10 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I like his honesty and what he's trying to achieve on the pitch with, lets face it, a very poor hand.

he seems to care, he's got enough wedge in the bank to just say duck it, somedy else sorts out this shower. 

Fair play to him

A Manure fan told me he would put 100% into the job. I wasn’t sure but I think he wants to do well and this could be the best way to start.

I think the fact he was a winner as a player will mean he has natural drive and ambition..his humble background likely has kept him grounded where it matters..he has been a superb front man for our club in recent times..not getting involved in the clown show above him but just trying to do his job and look after his team..we all know there will be plenty of low points in the future (pun intended) but if we can keep this guy and his team here I really believe they have the potential to do great things.. will need a bit of luck along the way and the EFL finally off our backs.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58611828

Rams players 'had no information'

..."I spoke to (chief financial officer) Stephen Pearce after, but initially I saw it on the TV," Rooney said.

"This morning it was a bit flat because, by me not getting all the information, the players had no information and they saw it on Sky as well.

"I haven't spoken with Mel. I am sure he has got other things on his mind.

"I've had no contact with Mel for a while now so it's been very difficult for me to address the fans when I don't know what the situation is.

"All we can do is play with a lot of pride. My job is to bring some dignity back to the club.

"I've said a few times I'm committed to this club and to the group of players and the staff, I care about them, so I'll keep doing everything I can to help us get through this.

"I think we will get through this for the better. We are going to have tough times ahead in the near future but it's my job now to start rebuilding this club and trying to put it back together."

Rooney has slipped up here. I've seen and heard three interviews today.

One was before kick off with Sky.Said he saw the news on Sky.Second was with Ed Dawes,again said saw news on Sky.Third was Rams TV with Gibbo and he said a specific time of 1943.

Ed Dawes tweeted this at 1945 saying he'd made some enquiries at Derby Percy tweeted at 2006 and Sjy got hold of it around 2030.

Adds fuel to the fire with the MSD thread.

3 hours ago, Rev said:

More tests lie ahead, somehow this might not be the darkest moment, but I now see we've got a steady hand on the tiller.

Wholly agree and share this sentiment.

Would just like him to also take a reduction in salary if it is as high as reported, that’s all. 

In a time like this we need stability somewhere and Wayne Rooney is showing that in abundance

Talking about our future whether points deducted or in a lower division he is talking like he wants to be here and is going to be here.....I've criticised Rooney previously but one thing is sure.....he really is showing what a good leader he is and is conducting himself brilliantly.

In the post match interview he seemed genuinely choked talking about the club and that means a lot to me......

Lets please ( including myself ) cut this man a bit of slack when its needed and it will be as he's doing a great job and Rio pointed out how he was so good on the training ground last week when observed our training.

He deserves our full support especially in the next few weeks/months....lets let him know as fans we appreciate his hard work and  he's still learning to be a manager.......my opinion of him has gone up massively.....he talks like he's here for the long haul and under the current circumstances just shows his character when we need someone to steady the ship  in a time of need Rooney is saying he's going nowhere...massive credit to him......I'm glad he's here and our manager

Strange how specific he was in his answer, '7.43' was when  he found out. Which seems to be earlier than it was on Sky first. 

Don't get what Mel gets by keeping him in the dark, any manager of any service would surely think it made sense to prepare senior staff and get them to have the same message for the staff. Don't understand why (as Curtis said) you would do it the night before a game. Why were the press saying we were close to agreeing a 9 point penalty, obviously that suggests the noises were that was the EFLs best offer. 

Other people are mentioning the Dell issue...so maybe there is more to it than we first thought, because the other interpretation is that he is (or always has been) an enormous mell-end. 

Rooney is in a no lose situation now. Everyone knows this is an impossible job, if we go down then no one will hold it against him, if we go down fighting it will be to his credit, if we stay up it will be seen as one of the great managerial achievements in recent years. The problems here are giving him an amazing grounding for his managerial career. I think his stock will rise whatever happens and he will get a better job offer.

He seems fully invested in and committed to our cause though, I hope we keep him for as long as possible. If we do get a new buyer, we need to back Rooney for the long term, hopefully he will manage in league 1 if we have stable and ambitious new owners.

8 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Said he saw the news on Sky.Second was with Ed Dawes,again said saw news on Sky.Third was Rams TV with Gibbo and he said a specific time of 1943.

Ed Dawes tweeted this at 1945 saying he'd made some enquiries at Derby Percy tweeted at 2006 and Sjy got hold of it around 2030.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Strange how specific he was in his answer, '7.43' was when  he found out. Which seems to be earlier than it was on Sky first. 

Maybe he was contacted by whoever told Dawes and was watching Sky Sports News for more information to confirm the truth of it?

Who told Dawes?! Why is he looking at 'Public Case Search' records. Two other tweets show the screenshot, plus a post from an unbelieving Red Dog! ? 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Rooney is in a no lose situation now. Everyone knows this is an impossible job, if we go down then no one will hold it against him, if we go down fighting it will be to his credit, if we stay up it will be seen as one of the great managerial achievements in recent years. The problems here are giving him an amazing grounding for his managerial career. I think his stock will rise whatever happens and he will get a better job offer.

He seems fully invested in and committed to our cause though, I hope we keep him for as long as possible. If we do get a new buyer, we need to back Rooney for the long term, hopefully he will manage in league 1 if we have stable and ambitious new owners.

Hopefully the administrators will realise even though he is on high wages the club is better off and more saleable with him than without him.

10 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Hopefully the administrators will realise even though he is on high wages the club is better off and more saleable with him than without him.

I think that the football creditors rule protects him from being fired to save costs. If the administrators terminated his contract, they would have to keep paying him or settle his outstanding contract in full. Then they'd have to pay someone else to manage the team, so it would actually increase costs.

I could be wrong, but I think he's safe unless he agrees to go with a much reduced settlement, or there is nothing to pay him with and the club resign from the league.