Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As admirable as it is that Rooney is paying his own travel expenses (and I commend him for it), it's hardly going to be cutting swathes into his vast wealth is it?

It's less than loose change for him

EDIT: Sorry reading back I'm a little unclear - has he been paying this for the whole team or just himself?

Edited by Ramley Apple

34 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

As admirable as it is that Rooney is paying his own travel expenses (and I commend him for it), it's hardly going to be cutting swathes into his vast wealth is it?

It's less than loose change for him

EDIT: Sorry reading back I'm a little unclear - has he been paying this for the whole team or just himself?

Whole squad and staff

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/19/mel-morris-says-sorry-derbys-fans-club-prepares-administration/

"...And Rooney has warned that any sale must be completed before the January transfer window or he risks losing his young players...

“We’ve got a few months now to try and get some investors in,” Rooney said. “If we get to January, the administrators can sell my players and there’s nothing I can do about it. That will be very difficult, a hard one to take.

Hopefully we can get new investors in as soon as possible and try and get some stability at this club.

This club is a big one and it will bounce back. We’ve seen teams go into administration before and bounce back. Look at Wigan now, they are at the top of League One."

“We have to be strong, we have to be resilient, and stick together.”

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/19/mel-morris-says-sorry-derbys-fans-club-prepares-administration/

"...And Rooney has warned that any sale must be completed before the January transfer window or he risks losing his young players...

“We’ve got a few months now to try and get some investors in,” Rooney said. “If we get to January, the administrators can sell my players and there’s nothing I can do about it. That will be very difficult, a hard one to take.

Hopefully we can get new investors in as soon as possible and try and get some stability at this club.

This club is a big one and it will bounce back. We’ve seen teams go into administration before and bounce back. Look at Wigan now, they are at the top of League One."

“We have to be strong, we have to be resilient, and stick together.”

He's right and that's one of the most upsetting things.

I've said on another thread, the promise of the youngsters coming through has been the one bright spot in the last couple of difficult years.

To lose them for peanuts instead of seeing them fulfill their potential at Derby is heartbreaking.

Wayne Rooney is holding this club together single handedly at the moment. He is the only leader we can look to and it is imperative that the fans continue to back him as they have done so magnificently so far.

I am 69 and I have been watching the team since 1961. I was lucky enough to watch the Clough and Mackay teams that succeeded on the spirit of their managers. Rooney is emulating that spirit, without having any hope of winning the prizes they did. But he could be the catalyst for the phoenix that rises from the ashes of the Morris regime.  He could easily have walked away. Whilst ever he is fighting on our behalf, please get behind him. He has been a great force in the English game throughout his career. Let us hope he can continue to be that very same force on our behalf in the battle that faces us.

Let us all get behind him.

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Wayne Rooney is holding this club together single handedly at the moment. He is the only leader we can look to and it is imperative that the fans continue to back him as they have done so magnificently so far.

I am 69 and I have been watching the team since 1961. I was lucky enough to watch the Clough and Mackay teams that succeeded on the spirit of their managers. Rooney is emulating that spirit, without having any hope of winning the prizes they did. But he could be the catalyst for the phoenix that rises from the ashes of the Morris regime.  He could easily have walked away. Whilst ever he is fighting on our behalf, please get behind him. He has been a great force in the English game throughout his career. Let us hope he can continue to be that very same force on our behalf in the battle that faces us.

Let us all get behind him.

I wasn’t overly keen when he got the job, and after the season finished wanted him to move on. Delighted that I’ve been proven wrong, if we’re going down, we’re going down fighting - this is down to him. Fair play to the lad. 

We all want people with the best ability at the club but it's the ones with character that are inspirational. 

Take Lampard's team vs Rowett. Rowett was better statistically. But something about the character of the Lampard team made that season more enjoyable for most

Rooney may not be the coach many wanted or the best we could have had. But the guy is a winner and has bounced back more times in his long successful career than you could count. I actually don't think he's been a bad manager. More of a "meh" than bad considering the circus Derby have been for some time

I think he's the best thing we could ask for right now. Always been a Rooney fanboy though. 

Most others would have walked away I'm sure. Credit to Rooney. Got the team playing, working hard, faces the media, has been promised lots of things that haven't materialised. He is showing true leadership qualities. If we go down fighting this season, Rooney can hold his head high as can the players. 

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Rooney, but I genuinely wish him nothing but the best. He's stood up to the challenge well and has been a true leader for this club in the darkest days in its history. 

I can't imagine that he lasts the week, as soon as administrators come in then he's got no chance of sticking around. Unless he works for free. I hope that he gets another job somewhere soon and hopefully makes a real go of it. 

I was critical of his management style last season. However this season, his leadership has been top class, listening to his after match interviews, the way he’s conducting himself and also the anecdotal stories we are hearing I wouldn’t want anyone else leading us at this time. Thank you Wayne  

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I can't imagine that he lasts the week, as soon as administrators come in then he's got no chance of sticking around. Unless he works for free. I hope that he gets another job somewhere soon and hopefully makes a real go of it. 

He's got a contract. If it was cancelled it just becomes another footballing debt we have to pay?

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Rooney, but I genuinely wish him nothing but the best. He's stood up to the challenge well and has been a true leader for this club in the darkest days in its history. 

Can the administration crew sack him? Not sure they can afford that.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's got a contract. If it was cancelled it just becomes another footballing debt we have to pay?

Yeah, I don't think sacking him solves anything. It'd have to be termination by mutual consent with the Administrator trying to get him to accept a much reduced payout.

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Are 32red still paying though? As he may not cost much to us? Does anyone know? 

Mel said it was an average Championship wage that we are contributing. I'm assuming he means an average first team wage.

God knows what that is these days. I'd guess at 20 - 30k a week. 

Edited by Norman

I’m not a Rooney fan. I don’t think tactically he’s been that great at all and I wouldn’t have shed a tear if he’d been given the boot in the summer. 

That said the character he’s showing in the face of adversity is unremarkable. Fully got my backing now. 

Maybe in the long run this might be a blessing for both us and him. Start a fresh in league 1 with hopefully a decent owner. Wayne gets a full season to continue to learn the managerial lark and further cement his hold in the dressing room. 

Now where can we find a decent owner? 

Asked what it would take for him to walk away, Rooney said:

"I've said before, I care. The football side of it I'm enjoying. I enjoy trying to improve players. If you look at the difference in some of the players to maybe a year ago, it's massive. Even some of the older players, Curtis [Davies] and Jags [Phil Jagielka], the performances they're putting in. And then seeing the likes of Max Bird developing. Louie Sibley, who's had tough moments. He's come into the team the last few weeks and we've seen a steady rise in his performances.

"I'm enjoying that side of it and I wouldn’t forgive myself if I walked out on them players because I'm asking them to sacrifice a lot, and give everything. So for me to leave them in the lurch and walk out, that's just not in my nature."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-administration-rooney-efl-5940196

--

What a man ?

We need him.

"He also revealed a touch of man-management before the game when he put up the date Saturday, September 18, at the end of the pre-match team meeting.

"This club has had great moments in the past, in the history of the club, but I said to the players, 'Today could be a big day in the club’s history. It’s on you to decide how the fans look back on this day'," Rooney said.

"I think the fans will look back and realise what a huge effort the players gave.

"For them to give that performance, they do deserve a lot of credit, a lot of praise, and I know the fans will be proud of the team."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-administration-rooney-stoke-5940255