Paul Warne

Day

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can see how you assess a managers success from that.

I'm glad Rush replaced him and Mac showed what Clough was missing in ability. Your extrapolation from that point is hilarious though.

Rush allowed Mac to bring in expensive loans like Bamford and Linguard - to add to a team built by Clough including Martin Russell . Hughes , Hendrick etc. Then as soon as Newcastle looked Mac’s way - he wet his nickers .

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Rush allowed Mac to bring in expensive loans like Bamford and Linguard - to add to a team built by Clough including Martin Russell . Hughes , Hendrick etc. Then as soon as Newcastle looked Mac’s way - he wet his nickers .

The only manager ever to have his head turned by a better job. Who stayed anyway just to be sacked by Mel. Yeah righteo. 😄

If we are successful tomorrow Warne has to have credit as despite the number of managers we have had only 4 have achieved promotion in the last 40 years.

If we do go up we will have to temper expectation as ,after watching the 2 games Leics v Southampton and Leeds vs Boro this week we are a long way off that standard and we certainly wont have a budget to compete.Mid table i think will be a success.

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can see how you assess a managers success from that.

I'm glad Rush replaced him and Mac showed what Clough was missing in ability. Your extrapolation from that point is hilarious though.

We went into a spiral of financial meltdown, laughing-boy.

Caused, in part, by idiots howling for a new manager time after time - on two occasions after fewer than 10 games. Each severance came with its own raft of huge payoffs, and each appointment brought with it a call for more players to suit the new manager's 'style'. Eventually, the purse-strings snapped, and the fan running the show and so eager to please everyone walked away - not broke, but broken to the tune of around a quarter of a billion.

16 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

A fair comment, but I just don't think we know what his football is like.  At this level, we are never going to pay to get Championship level players (more than just a few) as the risk of failure is too large.  He has to do what he can with what he has - means justify ends, and we need(ed) promotion.  

Should we be promoted on Saturday, my view is that PW starts again, a new coach on a two year deal.  His new job will be very different from his last one - albeit from the same dugout.  That is when, in my view, we judge the standard of his football.

Agree with this , also not many thinking if he does a great job next season he and his backroom team could get "poached" by a bigger club ??? Perish the thought we may actually be flirting with the playoffs to the premiership ... you just never know . 

There will certainly be a great opportunity to build a squad to challenge . 

1 hour ago, secretsquirrel said:

If we are successful tomorrow Warne has to have credit as despite the number of managers we have had only 4 have achieved promotion in the last 40 years.

If we do go up we will have to temper expectation as ,after watching the 2 games Leics v Southampton and Leeds vs Boro this week we are a long way off that standard and we certainly wont have a budget to compete.Mid table i think will be a success.

I'd take mid table next season (in the Championship of course 😀).

I'm not sure any of us have realistic expectations for top 4.

Edited by Tamworthram

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The Championship table is quite daunting.  An awful lot of teams with Premier League experience and cash. Plenty of big clubs with lofty ambitions.

I'd take midtable, decent crowds, better football, stability and some younger players coming through.

29 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

19 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Oh I'm sure there's a few around these parts that will expect top 4, however unrealistic that is.

Well, being one of the more sensible/level headed posters on here, I'm gonna give it the usual 10-12 games before I start demanding auto promotion!  

45 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Oh I'm sure there's a few around these parts that will expect top 4, however unrealistic that is.

What!!!!!!

Just settling for the play offs, a club of our size?

Surely, it needs to be top 2 at the very least.😉

After all, the championship will be the weakest it's ever been with the big clubs going up and replaced with traditional championship clubs. If Warne can't get is in the autos against that lot, he needs to go. 😉

Edited by ram59
Extra information.

If we go up tomorrow then there’s a building job to be done , we are not going to be overflowing with cash relatively, warne may well be exactly what we need to get the spirit and togetherness we need to stay up and stabilise with a bit more than he had at Rotherham, 

I for one am going to be right behind him and the team, we are coming back from the brink and we fans need to keep that fighting spirit