Dwight Gayle - Signed until the end of the season

Topram

Really interested in this,  surely Gayle is more like eg Washington than Collins.  Pace, plays on the shoulder, will work down the line sometimes. 

Wickham is more obvious as a Collins replacement? Big, strong, likes to back into defenders and lay the ball off. Definitely injury prone though.

Gayle would work well with Waghorn I think. But would be a real change to get both of them of them into the squad.

Struggling to see how he works with the way we currently play because he's not a hold-up, get free kicks and work the back 4 player.

Shefki Kuqi keeps getting mentions for how someone with a poor recent record can do a good job, Kazim-Richards the same...but they are Collins type players!

Gayle undoubtedly is the better player but I'd be thinking Wickham if I were Warne, so I'm fascinated how he utilises him.  Hopefully he doesn't expect Gayle to do what Collins does because that could be a poor move.

Edited by Chester40

36 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Really interested in this,  surely Gayle is more like eg Washington than Collins.  Pace, plays on the shoulder, will work down the line sometimes. 

Wickham is more obvious as a Collins replacement? Big, strong, likes to back into defenders and lay the ball off. Definitely injury prone though.

Gayle would work well with Waghorn I think. But would be a real change to get both of them of them into the squad.

Struggling to see how he works with the way we currently play because he's not a hold-up, get free kicks and work the back 4 player.

Shefki Kuqi keeps getting mentions for how someone with a poor recent record can do a good job, Kazim-Richards the same...but they are Collins type players!

Gayle undoubtedly is the better player but I'd be thinking Wickham if I were Warne, so I'm fascinated how he utilises him.  Hopefully he doesn't expect Gayle to do what Collins does because that could be a poor move.

I imagine Gayle being in and around the Stoke squad means he’ll be closer to fitness than Wickham.

I do agree that Wickham would play the Collins role better but his injury record is also poor. 

Gayle would’ve played the lone striker role quite a bit in his career. Let’s hope he’s developed a way of holding off defenders that doesn’t rely on being a powerhouse.

Gayle is far too intelligent of a striker not to score goals by the hatful in this league, he’d help us take a big stride towards automatic promotion. 

Hopefully the EFL don’t put the breaks on, but even if they did at least announcing it will give us a ‘us against them’ siege mentality for the remaining part of the season - that’s not to be underestimated especially in terms of creating an atmosphere around the club. 

On 02/02/2024 at 10:13, i-Ram said:

No, no, no. He was a pretty decent player, but he has not been on his game for 5 years. We have Washington and Waghorn supposedly back soon. That would be 3 average journeymen strikers, waiting for one above average journeyman striker to not be available. We missed out getting someone we needed. Gayle would just be a case of badly papering over cracks with expensive wallpaper.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-talking-points-stevenage-9107538

Disappointed. Let's hope its only a loan till the end of the season. If promoted he'd be a very expensive and probably not used substitute

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

Surely they can’t block it, just be so obvious how corrupt they are if they do

I suspect if there is a problem it’ll be down to the “permanent” vrs “ loan” pot issue (includes fees and wages).  We’ve been told that the permanent pot is empty (hence the CBT loan deal).  Gayle is a free agent therefore technically he is a permanent signing albeit probably a short term deal.  Hopefully the Max Bird deal gives us some leeway but I wouldn’t put it past the EFL to be awkward!

13 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

I suspect if there is a problem it’ll be down to the “permanent” vrs “ loan” pot issue (includes fees and wages).  We’ve been told that the permanent pot is empty (hence the CBT loan deal).  Gayle is a free agent therefore technically he is a permanent signing albeit probably a short term deal.  Hopefully the Max Bird deal gives us some leeway but I wouldn’t put it past the EFL to be awkward!

Why would we have needed to divide our budget up so specifically, why not just 'this amount for new players' or similar, how could we know whether a loan or transfer would be more likely? Seems odd.

19 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

It would really be classed more of a loan deal as such due to the fact that we not paying a fee for him. That's what was meant in permanent v loan debate that they couldn't outlay large sum of money  to sign players

Dwight Gayle signing, Player Concerns:

Recent form: Only 2 goals in 24 appearances for Stoke City.

Age: 34 years old, nearing end of career, decline could be age-related.

Injury history: Missed 23 games due to knee injury in 2020/21 and 11 games with various issues in 2021/22. Raises concerns about reliability and fitness for a demanding League One promotion battle.

Fitness: Reportedly not at ideal fitness levels.

Wage demands: High wages could strain Derby's finances.

Goal tallies over the last 5 seasons:

2023/24: 0 goals in 13 appearances

2022/23: 2 goals (Stoke City, Championship)

2021/22: 14 goals (Newcastle United, Premier League)

2020/21: 7 goals (West Bromwich Albion, Championship)

2019/20: 10 goals (Newcastle United, Premier League)

2018/19: 5 goals (Newcastle United, Premier League)

3 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Dwight Gayle signing, Player Concerns:

Recent form: Only 2 goals in 24 appearances for Stoke City.

Age: 34 years old, nearing end of career, decline could be age-related.

Injury history: Missed 23 games due to knee injury in 2020/21 and 11 games with various issues in 2021/22. Raises concerns about reliability and fitness for a demanding League One promotion battle.

Fitness: Reportedly not at ideal fitness levels.

Wage demands: High wages could strain Derby's finances.

Goal tallies over the last 5 seasons:

2023/24: 0 goals in 13 appearances

2022/23: 2 goals (Stoke City, Championship)

2021/22: 14 goals (Newcastle United, Premier League)

2020/21: 7 goals (West Bromwich Albion, Championship)

2019/20: 10 goals (Newcastle United, Premier League)

2018/19: 5 goals (Newcastle United, Premier League)

Ok but CKR’s scoring stats weren’t that great. We desperately need a striker in and so maybe not ideal, but probably score a few in the third division.

His last game for Stokes first team was Jan 1st a ten minutes sub appearance.He played for their U23 team on Jan 26th for sixty minutes so his fitness will not be too far off, closer than Waggy's will be when he comes back probably.

I remember talking to a Blades fan I work with when we signed McGoldrick and he said he was rubbish in front of goal and he didn’t turn out too badly at League One level…

I can see Gayle scoring goals at this level, even after his slump in recent seasons. My bigger concern is whether we’ll play in a way that will give him that opportunity, but time will tell.