Dwight Gayle - Signed until the end of the season

Topram

10 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Not entirely relevant now but I've just realised that Dwight Gayle is another player that got picked up by Peterborough from the lower leagues then sold on for a fat profit a short time later. They manage to get one every season....another being Jack Marriott of course. 

Could we maybe try and buy someone cheap and sell them for lots of money? I'll put a note in Dave Clowes' suggestion box.

Maybe we can do a Bielsa and start to follow the Peterborough striker scout around the country? 🥸

FWIW, I think Gayle would be a good signing.

It may be a while back, but he's shown that he can score goals in the Championship, he's played in the Prem, the Conference North and League Two, so he should know how to scrap in League One. As a couple of posters have pointed out already, the success of old b*ggers like Rhodes, Chris Martin, McGoldrick and Collins in L1 shows how valuable that experience is. He probably hung around at Newcastle for too long (but on good money, who wouldn't?) and has had injury problems, but we just need him to be a pro for 13 games and keep opposition defenders thinking. Gayle's game seems to be good positioning and finishing in the box, pouncing on second balls, so as long we can create chances, he should be able to finish.

The only thing that counts against Gayle is he's a tiddler at 5"9', so may struggle with 100 lofted crosses a game. He's certainly not a Collins clone.  However, his WBA highlights reel shows he's actually decent when he has a free/diving header. Plus, he can take a free kick.

1 hour ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

It may be a while back, but he's shown that he can score goals in the Championship, he's played in the Prem, the Conference North and League Two, so he should know how to scrap in League One. As a couple of posters have pointed out already, the success of old b*ggers like Rhodes, Chris Martin, McGoldrick and Collins in L1 shows how valuable that experience is. He probably hung around at Newcastle for too long (but on good money, who wouldn't?) and has had injury problems, but we just need him to be a pro for 13 games and keep opposition defenders thinking. Gayle's game seems to be good positioning and finishing in the box, pouncing on second balls, so as long we can create chances, he should be able to finish.

The only thing that counts against Gayle is he's a tiddler at 5"9', so may struggle with 100 lofted crosses a game. He's certainly not a Collins clone.  However, his WBA highlights reel shows he's actually decent when he has a free/diving header. Plus, he can take a free kick.

Mendez Laing is pretty adept at the low hard crosses that Gayle could thrive on.

Cue the EFL stalling until our backup option has secured a contract somewhere else before telling us that we can't have Gayle. Of course It'll need to be put before the independent EFL 'Make some new rules up because it's Derby' Panel which won't be gathering for at least 6 to 8 months depending on when they can be arsed to deal with it and how much inconvenience will be caused. They reserve the right to suddenly find it acceptable if Waghorn or Washington suddenly find fitness or if Collins recovers quicker than expected, just to minimise its usefulness to us and then they can move the goal posts and reduce the wage level that we are allowed so they can slap us with some spurious charges for some s*** they just made up.

41 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I have a feeling its a case of we have X amount left of our budget, with the Bird sale we can actually afford Z amount but the cost of signing Gayle is Y amount which is somewhere between both X + Z

Put simply, we don’t have enough left in our business plan budget to pay for Gayle? 😅

13 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Cue the EFL stalling until our backup option has secured a contract somewhere else before telling us that we can't have Gayle. Of course It'll need to be put before the independent EFL 'Make some new rules up because it's Derby' Panel which won't be gathering for at least 6 to 8 months depending on when they can be arsed to deal with it and how much inconvenience will be caused. They reserve the right to suddenly find it acceptable if Waghorn or Washington suddenly find fitness or if Collins recovers quicker than expected, just to minimise its usefulness to us and then they can move the goal posts and reduce the wage level that we are allowed so they can slap us with some spurious charges for some s*** they just made up.

That would be funny , if it wasn't so🤬 🤬 true 🤣

17 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

If they do this, we would score more than we do and wouldn't need Gayle

23 minutes ago, Beetle said:

Surely its an easy decision for the EFL. We're either within the agreed business plan or we're not with Gayles wages. If we're not then we shouldn't be even asking the EFL in my opinion.

I don’t think it’s that simple. if the deal is within our business plan (until the end of the season) then surely they would have rubber stamped it immediately. Therefore, I would assume signing Gayle takes us outside of the agreement and we have asked for an amendment to be considered. Maybe the business plan isn’t set in stone and they would consider some adjustment?

2 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I'm 5ft 9ins.  I've never been called a tiddler 😂

Am I right in saying it was submitted to the EFL on Friday, and it's only Monday dinner time now?

I don't think the EFL's refusal to open the offices over the weekend to go through paperwork is something we should be taking personally.

When you spend your weekend on forums and social media, I can see how it feels like a long time, but in reality it's not.

If we get to midweek and nothing, then yeah, start to question why the hold up, until then, just relax.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's at Moor Farm today with the rest of the players, integrating himself, how often do we see pictures of new signings that have been training all day prior to announcements.