West Ham (H) FACR4 Mon 30th Jan

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He really wasn't.  He isolated himself by letting the ball bounce of him incessantly sending him 5 ft away from his position.  He did do better than the  commentator on ITV 4 though who just said Derby players were at fault for all 3 goals and we had a player called Houliham

So he wasn't isolated but he was isolated then?!

Maybe if we had played closer to him, his first touch/mis-control could have turned into a pass instead?

I wasn’t expecting a win tonight. I was a bit disappointed with our performance. The only way we would have won was to try and hassle them and not give them any room. Instead we gave the ball away easily and didn’t win any battles. West Ham didn’t break a sweat. It’s not that important. What is important is whether Bird is ok and 3 points on Saturday.

Compared to the Wrexham v Sheff Utd game yesterday, this fell flat as a spectacle.

I don’t think you can fault the effort, but we lacked some spark and some bravery. We didn’t ask West Ham enough questions. McGoldrick was a huge miss and Dobbin should have started.

We then didn’t help ourselves by switching off too easily and conceding two tame goals. But those are the margins when you face a Premier League side. You make a small mistake, you lose focus for a moment, and it can be thoroughly punished.

It’s disappointing to lose in the manner that we did, but fortunately we have a quick turnaround and can get back to winning ways right away with a favourable home game on Saturday.

What did we learn? McGoldrick is the glue that binds the team together and we need another option if his current injury or any future injuries are serious.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think it’ll be 2-3 weeks minimum, but would love to be wrong and it only be a slight tweak. Rooney or Smith in as a defensive midfielder alongside Hourihane and Knight with those two tasked to create etc? Time for Warne to earn his bread, have we got anyone spare for them to repurpose like has been successfully done with Sibley and Fozzy? I suppose Sibley could be the answer as Roberts has been decent the last few games, keep Roberts in the back 4 with Fozzy, Cashin and Smith then a midfield 3 of Hourihane, Sibley and Knight ? 

We’d be scraping the barrel. Knight has played right back, but we lose a lot of his energy by stifling him there. Our only players with considerable experience at RB are Smith and Chester. One is the most likely to fill in for Bird and the other is made of wet paper towels.

If there’s a right back offered to Warne on loan tomorrow, he might be a lot more inclined to take it now.

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

The opposition have gifted us chances in League one because we press the life out of them. We didn't get near West ham tonight. We just looked a bit off it. A lackluster performance which was compounded by goals conceded at bad times in the game. We huffed and puffed but couldn't muster anything of note.

I totally agree but Forest Green couldn't play through our press.  West ham could.  That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Whatever you think of their performances this year west hams players are miles better than ours.   Better technically, fitter, faster, stronger.

The timing of the goals meant they were able to sit back and keep us at arm's length.   It didn't look great for us and we never looked like laying a glove on them but you can't just put that on our players.  The quality of the opponent comes into it too.

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think it’ll be 2-3 weeks minimum, but would love to be wrong and it only be a slight tweak. Rooney or Smith in as a defensive midfielder alongside Hourihane and Knight with those two tasked to create etc? Time for Warne to earn his bread, have we got anyone spare for them to repurpose like has been successfully done with Sibley and Fozzy? I suppose Sibley could be the answer as Roberts has been decent the last few games, keep Roberts in the back 4 with Fozzy, Cashin and Smith then a midfield 3 of Hourihane, Sibley and Knight ? 

Warne has already earned his bread imo 

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I totally agree but Forest Green couldn't play through our press.  West ham could.  That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Whatever you think of their performances this year west hams players are miles better than ours.   Better technically, fitter, faster, stronger.

The timing of the goals meant they were able to sit back and keep us at arm's length.   It didn't look great for us and we never looked like laying a glove on them but you can't just put that on our players.  The quality of the opponent comes into it too.

I don't think we did press like we usually do that's my point. We were lethargic. Aside from that I agree. They sat back and we couldn't get anything going.

No shame in that at all. We all hoped that West Hams struggle was because they were useless, but in reality they were underperforming. And when one player costs more than our entire squad, it was bound to be.

There may have been an element of West Ham not letting us play, but I have a distinct feeling that we only turned up for the money - the flood of players being substituted would suggest our eye is on next Saturday. We also seemed to give them too much respect, especially early on. And we were up against a team which sat deep and counter attacked, and they are hard to play against.

I suspect there was also an element of ys just turning up for the money, keeping ourselves for the League. And why not?

We were beaten by a well crafted goal, and a goal which stemmed from a couple of deflections bouncing kindly for West Ham. We sort of held our own for long periods, and it was good to see Knight, Cashin, Roberts and Wildsmith looking comfortable in such company. We had a fair shout for a penalty ignored, which was no surprise. As I said earlier the only thing the ref gave us was a yellow card. But he must have been fair and neutral because he gave one to West Ham as well! How sweet! So because West Ham didn’t claim a penalty, he couldn't give us one either, which seems fair.

So Morecambe: watch out!

Hope you are ok, Max.

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If I’m being critical, based on tonight I’m not sure ‘Warneball’ suits playing higher league opposition because you aren’t positionally disciplined enough. Not that I don’t like his ideas and how he sees football, I’m just not sure it works against a better opposition

Think Didzy was a big loss. We can't play off Collins in the same way and he's not the goal-threat that Didzy is either. At times we passed the ball well but West Ham sat pretty deep and didn't really make too many mistakes, nor did they over-commit and allow us to get in behind them. I think maybe we could have given Dobbin a start as he has the pace to hurt better defences, but other than that, I'm not sure there's too much we could have done differently. 

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Top flouncing. I guess we'll see you again when we next lose. 

I haven't watched or been to many if any games over the past couple of months for reasons that I don't feel comfortable about sharing.

Hence why I haven't posted much on here over that period as I really have nothing to contribute especially on the matchday threads. 

So the game tonight was the first match I've actually watched in a while so I was able to at least post some comments after having viewed it first hand. 

So your comments about posting on here when we lose again are really quite unfortunate.

Fair enough?

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Nice to see balanced coverage from ITV, unless I’ve missed something so far we’ve had the draw for the next round followed by them commenting on it being potentially a good away tie for West Ham, an interview with Moyes, a flashback to them winning the cup at Wembley in 1980, Joe Cole and Eni Aluko talking about West Ham’s lineup and their struggles this season, a bit about Michail Antonio and the fact he might want to leave for regular football after 8 years….? 

What happened to the interview with Alf Garnet? ?‍♂️