West Ham (H) FACR4 Mon 30th Jan

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nope. That wasn't the Derby we've seen most of the season. We didn't play well. Nothing to do with them, they threatened very little but we threatened less. Poor from us, where was the pace the closing down them attacking? All of which is nothing to do with them.

I completely agree. This was nothing to do with West ham. The easy thing to say is that the premier League quality showed except it didn't. A couple of well taken goals but they weren't absolutely fantastic. They just did enough. We didn't put them under anywhere near enough pressure or cause them any problems. We didn't get at them or press like we do other teams. That's nothing to do with the opposition, that's on us. We weren't good enough tonight and got beat. But it wasn't anything to do with how good West ham were.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

They’re quicker on the ball, quicker off the ball, more technical… pretty much every area of the pitch and every area of the game, they’re superior. It’s quite clearly indicated in the league standing and the budgets of the sides.

We’ve “been poor” because we aren’t used to playing sides of this quality.

If you play a pressing game, and the other team is good enough to play through you, sometimes you are going to come unstuck. If you get players forward and the other team is fast and fit and organised enough to put pressure of your midfield and defense and steal the ball, you are going to come unstuck.

Honestly all tonight says to me is that at a lot of our players aren't cut out for the higher leagues, which we knew anyway. I don't mind that Warne didn't put everyone behind the ball. It was a cup game, a free hit, and he (and the players) will have learned something useful. 

A lacklustre performance brings an end to our cup run, but not our season. Don’t feel too down folks, all attentions on the league now. Could be the grounding that we need after such a brilliant run, remind the players that they need to continue earning the wins and plaudits.

Cons: the unbeaten run is over, a loss could (but probably won’t) knock the squads mentality, and Bird looked concerned by his injury.

Pros: More money in the bank, minutes in the tank for Cashin, a couple of the youngsters tested themselves against “top” players, we can focus on the league now and getting back to the championship.

Just now, vonwright said:

If you play a pressing game, and the other team is good enough to play through you, sometimes you are going to come unstuck. If you get players forward and the other team is fast and fit and organised enough to put pressure of your midfield and defense and steal the ball, you are going to come unstuck.

Honestly all tonight says to me is that at a lot of our players aren't cut out for the higher leagues, which we knew anyway. I don't mind that Warne didn't put everyone behind the ball. It was a cup game, a free hit, and he (and the players) will have learned something useful. 

Flip side: Knight and Cashin (and Roberts and Dobbin) didn't look at all out of place among their tens-of-millions players 

The gulf in budgets and class became the difference tonight but our tempo and intensity was lacking, where you would think we would have raised it. Didn't assert ourselves on the game enough and the timing of the goals really took any sting we might have had.

That said I thought we played some decent stuff and held our own for long periods.

Missed Didzy and a bit of guile in the final third. Got to feel for Collins, just ain't happening for him but he was isolated most of the game.

Still only the League to focus on now, which is no bag thing, just have to hope the lads will bounce back and keep the run going where it really counts.

1 minute ago, Derbados said:

Isn’t this a one off game?

I’m not sure if you’re missing the point intentionally or not.

Of course there was a chance we could win tonight, I just don’t get the huge amount of negativity when we don’t win.

The reality is we would never be expected to win tonight, if we pulled out a performance and got the win then great, but I’m not going to get the razor blades out because we were outplayed at home to a PL side and lost 2-0.

Just now, RodleyRam said:

The gulf in budgets and class became the difference tonight but our tempo and intensity was lacking, where you would think we would have raised it. Didn't assert ourselves on the game enough and the timing of the goals really took any sting we might have had.

That said I thought we played some decent stuff and held our own for long periods.

Missed Didzy and a bit of guile in the final third. Got to feel for Collins, just ain't happening for him but he was isolated most of the game.

Still only the League to focus on now, which is no bag thing, just have to hope the lads will bounce back and keep the run going where it really counts.

Felt like we were all saving ourselves for the league. Me included

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You're welcome. If there's anything else that perplexes you about why teams in higher leagues are better then the teams below them, do feel free to ask old chap! 

You know we made it easy for them which was my entire point which it seems you purposely overlooked to try and undertake some petty points scoring.

Anyway goodnight all

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I’m not sure if you’re missing the point intentionally or not.

Of course there was a chance we could win tonight, I just don’t get the huge amount of negativity when we don’t win.

The reality is we would never be expected to win tonight, if we pulled out a performance and got the win then great, but I’m not going to get the razor blades out because we were outplayed at home to a PL side and lost 2-0.

It more that everything good about our own play this season was sorely lacking and they never had to get out of neutral let alone first gear.

2 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Of course most of them aren’t. We started with 3 of our defenders having a combined age of 81, and the fourth being second choice to an attacking midfielder who’s currently injured.

Of our starting 11 today, there’s only 3 or 4 who haven’t already hit the peaks of their careers and are on their way down.

But that’s OK, because we still have a very good side for the league and the situation we find ourselves in. With a manager who I have every confidence in getting the most out of those players for the last third of the season.

Just now, RodleyRam said:

He really wasn't.  He isolated himself by letting the ball bounce of him incessantly sending him 5 ft away from his position.  He did do better than the  commentator on ITV 4 though who just said Derby players were at fault for all 3 goals and we had a player called Houliham