West Ham (H) FACR4 Mon 30th Jan

9 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I completely agree. This was nothing to do with West ham. The easy thing to say is that the premier League quality showed except it didn't. A couple of well taken goals but they weren't absolutely fantastic. They just did enough. We didn't put them under anywhere near enough pressure or cause them any problems. We didn't get at them or press like we do other teams. That's nothing to do with the opposition, that's on us. We weren't good enough tonight and got beat. But it wasn't anything to do with how good West ham were.

They played through our press with relative ease.  Just as you would expect them to do.

I just thought we weren't very good in the final third.  We've had games like that in league one and the opposition have gifted us chances.  West ham didn't.  It's no biggie and we weren't especially bad 

Edited by Blondest Goat

2 minutes ago, KBB said:

On to the proper games on Saturday. Poor performance but no disgrace in going out to a prem team and not playing your best. Let's not dig out players or managers for this one game.

Saying it's a poor performance where we lacked our usual intensity isn't digging out the players and the manager. It's how many of us saw the game. I'm disappointed but we move.

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

It more that everything good about our own play this season was sorely lacking and they never had to get out of neutral let alone first gear.

I appreciate the frustration in that, but West Ham didn’t play poorly. They scored early in both halves and didn’t need to do anything more than that. They managed the game like a professional top level side and let us tire ourselves out by trying to get back in to the game. If we got the early goal, it would’ve been an entirely situation, unfortunately that’s the way it goes.

We beat teams in our league comfortably, today we got beaten comfortably. If that game was against someone like Sheffield Wednesday or Bolton, I’d be more concerned, but for now I’m not disheartened.

Just now, Rammy03 said:

Saying it's a poor performance where we lacked our usual intensity isn't digging out the players and the manager. It's how many of us saw the game. I'm disappointed but we move.

Exactly. Warranted criticism is fine and expected. Some won't be so balanced with their analysis.

4 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Felt like we were all saving ourselves for the league. Me included

My thoughts too

After they scored their 1st, We just looked flat, Not going to heap more criticism on Collins...Up against better players and being there on his own, Game over at 0-2 WHU knocking the ball about us chasing it, They let us play in front of them as we had nowt they should fear.

Not displeased no shame...Roll on Saturday

Just now, Blondest Goat said:

They played through our press with relative ease.  Just as you would expect them to do.

I just thought we weren't very good in the final third.  We've had games like that in league one and the opposition have gifted us chances.  West ham didn't.

The opposition have gifted us chances in League one because we press the life out of them. We didn't get near West ham tonight. We just looked a bit off it. A lackluster performance which was compounded by goals conceded at bad times in the game. We huffed and puffed but couldn't muster anything of note.

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If I’m being critical, based on tonight I’m not sure ‘Warneball’ suits playing higher league opposition because you aren’t positionally disciplined enough. Not that I don’t like his ideas and how he sees football, I’m just not sure it works against a better opposition

Alternatively: the same system with better (in some cases younger) players could work at a higher level very well. But with these players, against a decent Premier League team with a lot of pace and guile... it might be a struggle. 

Just felt we were a little naive.
From early on it was clear, yellow cards were only given on artistic merit, and the little professional blocks, shoves etc. the ref wasn't interested in. We're used to having more time on the ball and playing teams with less skill, and so up against a team that knows how to subtly block people or pull them back, and then break, it made it really difficult.

I think we'd have done better if we'd been a bit more physical, equally with that ref, and the rolling about skills on display, we could been easily down to 10 men. I expected more of a context but not super downhearted and Cashin coming back reminded us of what we're missing. Roberts is a good substitute for Sibley but Davies' legs have gone.

Hopefully Bird is okay and we carry on in the League

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

“Bird has damaged his groin which is a big blow for us” Paul Warne on ITV just now ? 

Bugger. What’s that, a month at least?

If we don’t bring anyone else in then it’s going to be Rooney or Thompson with big boots to fill.

7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If I’m being critical, based on tonight I’m not sure ‘Warneball’ suits playing higher league opposition because you aren’t positionally disciplined enough. Not that I don’t like his ideas and how he sees football, I’m just not sure it works against a better opposition

Agree with this tbh and I know Rotherham have a very low budget but makes you wonder if this is why he’s always struggled coming up to the championship and been relegated or maybe more to do with budgets 

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’m not sure if you’re missing the point intentionally or not.

Of course there was a chance we could win tonight, I just don’t get the huge amount of negativity when we don’t win.

The reality is we would never be expected to win tonight, if we pulled out a performance and got the win then great, but I’m not going to get the razor blades out because we were outplayed at home to a PL side and lost 2-0.

My mate asked me if we were going to win. It's possible I replied but in reality, doubtful. I thought we lacked a bit of fluidity but some (most?) of that is because we were up against class players. Bowen. Antonio. Soucek. Benrahma et al. Always disappointed with a loss but not much for this one. Promotion is the focus not burning out trying to beat the likes of West Ham or Man Utd. 

Edited by BucksRam

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Not sure you can judge anything based on tonight. I think our players approached it the same way the manager did, give it a go but the league is our focus.

It was flat. I never sensed we believed we would win, total contrast to the league. We didn't disgrace ourselves, just didn't do ourselves justice.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If we don’t bring anyone else in then it’s going to be Rooney or Thompson with big boots to fill.

We could possibly go with Rooney at right back and Smith in midfield too. Big blow to lose Max either way. 

Edited by Steve How Hard?

Just now, Kernow said:

I think it’ll be 2-3 weeks minimum, but would love to be wrong and it only be a slight tweak. Rooney or Smith in as a defensive midfielder alongside Hourihane and Knight with those two tasked to create etc? Time for Warne to earn his bread, have we got anyone spare for them to repurpose like has been successfully done with Sibley and Fozzy? I suppose Sibley could be the answer as Roberts has been decent the last few games, keep Roberts in the back 4 with Fozzy, Cashin and Smith then a midfield 3 of Hourihane, Sibley and Knight ?