Radio Derby all in for Warne tonight

Curtains

3 hours ago, Curtains said:

Liam Rosenior hangover according to Nick Webster. 

Really !

Heard that.  Reckons lots of these players are used to doing football at elite level and don't understand this league.  All true- if most of them hadn't spent years in League 1 before and done rather well in it . some with more than 1 team 

Amazing that people want him out after 5 minutes, total nonsense - and it isn't going to happen.

I also don't believe that he wants us to become Rotherham 2, I actually think his aim is to get them playing decent football.

Give the bloke and his team a chance to get their chairs under the table. I think he will be given this season and next as a bare minimum.

43 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We’ve had a decade or so of near-catastrophic mis-management. The new owner has come in talking a good game, and then immediately set off making exactly the same mistakes as the last one. Frankly, I’m way past the point of giving anyone time to keep on making stupid mistakes. I just want someone at the club making decisions with just a tiny bit of common-sense and long-term planning.  I categorically do not want us to be the kind of club that Warne turned Rotherham into, so I have no interest in allowing him to go any further in changing us.

errrrr, 4 year contract???, think that's classed as long term planning innit

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

We’ve had a decade or so of near-catastrophic mis-management. The new owner has come in talking a good game, and then immediately set off making exactly the same mistakes as the last one. Frankly, I’m way past the point of giving anyone time to keep on making stupid mistakes. I just want someone at the club making decisions with just a tiny bit of common-sense and long-term planning.  I categorically do not want us to be the kind of club that Warne turned Rotherham into, so I have no interest in allowing him to go any further in changing us.

You’d have sacked Jim Smith in 94/95 before the promotion run! ?

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think his time should be up. I was never a fan of the appointment, I think it was and remains a massive mistake, and the sooner that mistake is rectified, the sooner we can start recovering from it.  He very clearly has no intention of changing anything about his approach, and if this kind of form continues, I don’t see how we will be in any kind of touch with the playoffs to mount a challenge post-January.  If it’s clear we’re not going up this season, I suspect we lose all the good youngsters - why on earth are Knight, Cashin, Bird etc going to stay here when they will get plenty of offers at Championship level or higher.  And you can count on attendances declining if we’re still playing dreadful football in League 1, which is whittling away the big advantage we have over most other clubs in this league.

There are other factors too. If we persist in this style of play, we’re rendering the academy pointless. What’s the point of developing players like Darren Robinson, if they’re never going to fit into the managers style? There’s years of effort gone into developing technical ball-playing footballers that’s entirely wasted. And if you break that path into the first team, you’re damaging the academy in years to come, because having that in place is a key selling point when recruiting youngsters. Again, that’s just trashing another of the big advantages we should have at this level.

It’s not being a whiney baby, the club does not have an unconditional right to my support, it’s a 2-way transaction. If the club is telling me they are actively choosing to play dreadful football, that the club is going to be in a mess for years entirely because of decisions that they have made, then I don’t see why I should bother turning up. If the club is trying to play decent entertaining football, trying to do things right, then I will give them all the time in the world. But under Warne, I just don’t believe that.  I do not believe there is any justification to allowing a man with a track record of getting relegated from the Championship, to trash every facet of the club, in the hope that we might win some games in a couple of years time.

Where do we start with this? Utter nonsense. How can anyone make their mind up on a manager when they've only been here for a few games.

25 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Amazing that people want him out after 5 minutes, total nonsense - and it isn't going to happen.

I also don't believe that he wants us to become Rotherham 2, I actually think his aim is to get them playing decent football.

Give the bloke and his team a chance to get their chairs under the table. I think he will be given this season and next as a bare minimum.

Why do you believe that is his aim? He has no track record for delivering decent football & he hasn't been particularly pragmatic with either his formations or style of play so far with us.

In my opinion, @duncanjwithamisn’t too far wrong in his assessment. Warne will get more time, and obviously deserves more time, but I have always been concerned that he might be only good at getting energy and fight out of less talented footballers. I am not convinced he is any tactical genius (indeed I think he is a one trick pony) and I am not sure he knows how to vary his man management approach to deal with (on paper) better players than he is used to dealing with. I think snide comments regarding McGoldrick, Chester and Barkhuisen in interviews indicates that there might not be the happy changing room there was last season, or even a few weeks ago. Time will tell in the end, but I think there is a chance that things might get a little ugly over the coming month.

You know when Morris nearly put this club into the Sunday league? Thinking owning Derby County was like a computer game career mode, buying players for silly money and ditching managers after a few games because it wasn’t “the derby way” this is what now supporters ( the ones that thinks Warnes time is up) still carry with them. 

Get behind the team, get behind the manager, has proven success and has undertaken a team of where he has not had a say yet. Get used to a rebuild and not expecting to be winning every game. We need to give warne time and for once not pretend we deserve to be 4-0 up every weekend. 

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

In my opinion, @duncanjwithamisn’t too far wrong in his assessment. Warne will get more time, and obviously deserves more time, but I have always been concerned that he might be only good at getting energy and fight out of less talented footballers. I am not convinced he is any tactical genius (indeed I think he is a one trick pony) and I am not sure he knows how to vary his man management approach to deal with (on paper) better players than he is used to dealing with. I think snide comments regarding McGoldrick, Chester and Barkhuisen in interviews indicates that there might not be the happy changing room there was last season, or even a few weeks ago. Time will tell in the end, but I think there is a chance that things might get a little ugly over the coming month.

What has he said re McGoldrick, Chester and Barkhuisen?

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I'm roughly in agreement with this. 

I'm in the it was mistake to appoint him but we have to let this play out now camp. 

It comes down to this...

Almost no one in the squad suits his style of football and we are in an embargo so are limited in the transfer market especially in the Jan window, so I fail to see any scope for major improvement this season. 

Edited by sage

I thought when the change was made it was to fast track promotion with a proven league 1 manager rather than wait for Liam to find his feet.  

If we now have to give Warne time to create the team he wants I would have preferred to stick with Liam.

That being said we have to stick with and support Warne, apart from anything else we cannot afford to pay off the 4 years of his and his team’s contracts.

To change now sends us into Morris territory again

Edited by SuffolkRam

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What has he said re McGoldrick, Chester and Barkhuisen?

In interviews he cast some doubt on how injured they might be, and their willingness to play (imo). He said it all in a joshy way, which perhaps is his idea of humour, or motivation, but I don’t think it does anything positive to dig at players in public. Sort them out behind closed doors is my viewpoint.

10 minutes ago, SuffolkRam said:

I thought when the change was made it was to fast track promotion with a proven league 1 manager rather than wait for Liam to find his feet.  

If we now have to give Warne time to create the team he wants I would have preferred to stick with Liam.

That being said we have to stick with and support Warne, apart from anything else we cannot afford to pay off the 4 years of his and his team’s contracts.

To change now sends us into Morris territory again

Yes, true. 

I worry now that we'll end up as footballing 'athletes'. Warne was quick to say that they'd find out the squad were athletes. Was it Rooney who came in as said he was surprised at the amount of football talent the squad had? Change is coming?

Football supporters : " Why can't managers tell it as it is? We just want honesty."

Also Football supporters : "Not that honest!"

Of course there's a chance that inferred or direct criticism of individual players can backfire. I think it depends on how precious the players concerned are and whether other players agree with the manager's criticism. In a strong unit like Pearson inherited, that was fatal, but may not be with the current squad as they've not had long to bond. 

Much as I believe that well paid players should be robust enough to handle public or private criticism, it can be a risky strategy. I suspect that the reaction will be determined on how Warne has followed up the criticism on a one to one basis.