Radio Derby all in for Warne tonight

Curtains

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I don't think it is over the top tbh. You've basically said we're losing games because some of the squad are being lazy and unprofessional. If that were true, it would be easy to name names. And then when pressed on it, you've actually hit on the real reason, which is the lack of structure and organisation in the team.  We aren't pressing as unit, but it's not because players can't be bothered, it's because the team isn't set up properly, players are being used wrongly and so on.  You can't press as a unit if you don't know who to press and when, and you don't trust that the rest of the team know when/who to press either.

This isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, but I get really annoyed when people start accusing players of being lazy and not wanting it enough.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there's a massive tendency in English football to blame it for literally everything. Collins missed a tap in, "didn't want it enough". Davies gave a way a pen, "didn't want it enough". and so on.  It just distracts from any real analysis of what the problem is.

Never said they were lazy or unprofessional did I? Said it was fine margins but I don't feel the desire required is there for some players at certain periods of games.

I think Warne is instructing them properly how to press in training personally but if we aren't a cohesive unit we will fall short in this league. So far for this team the proof is in the pudding, look at the performances and results. Bristol Rovers are not going to come here Saturday and roll over either.

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Never said they were lazy or unprofessional did I? Said it was fine margins but I don't feel the desire required is there for some players at certain periods of games.

I think Warne is instructing them properly how to press in training personally but if we aren't a cohesive unit we will fall short in this league. So far for this team the proof is in the pudding, look at the performances and results. Bristol Rovers are not going to come here Saturday and roll over either.

"just came here thinking it would be a nice time getting good pay" implies they are lazy and unprofessional.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

"just came here thinking it would be a nice time getting good pay" implies they are lazy and unprofessional.

Not really, they may still up for games but are they the type of characters we need to escape this division? From what I saw in our games against teams up there like Plymouth and Ipswich there was a difference. I'm not saying all our signings are bad but are we really a conhesive unit judging on the games so far? Not from what i've been watching.

If all players were so driven as people are saying they are why does Warne feel the need for a motivation wall? Why are people posting pics of Joey Barton's battle board on twitter he puts in the dressing room? Mentality is key. Pro football is fine margins as any fan of this club should be acutely aware.

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Went really quick from ‘we’re not here to shout at the lads we’re here to help them’ to ‘tonight wasn’t good enough, I’ve told the lads my phones on all night if they want to come back to me’ 

which is a worry ?

Ask any parent, why do they dish out bollockings to their kids?

When reasonable discussions haven't worked...Its normally a last resort to try and make them understand they did something wrong and to help them do it better next time.

8 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Ask any parent, why do they dish out bollockings to their kids?

When reasonable discussions haven't worked...Its normally a last resort to try and make them understand they did something wrong and to help them do it better next time.

I do it when I have lost control. When I am out of my depth and not able to cope with the situation.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Went really quick from ‘we’re not here to shout at the lads we’re here to help them’ to ‘tonight wasn’t good enough, I’ve told the lads my phones on all night if they want to come back to me’ 

which is a worry ?

How is it a worry?  He said he had told the players to stop being nice.  Think that 100% applies to Hourinhane and Bird.  If they're offended by that they're in the wrong game.

22 hours ago, Mrso said:

You seem to have problems with both LR and PW, so not surprising you are struggling to think of who we might bring in.  Both systems need time to coach - and suitable players.  Passing out from the back is fine if you do it well and learn to compensate for the odd inevitable mistake - the top three in this League all do it.  Did LR have time to develop it well enough?

Warneball is different and requires high energy and physicality to win most second balls.  It too can work, especially at this level.  What makes no sense is trying to do both with the same group of players in one half season.  In a nutshell, they hadn't learned LR's way and now they have to learn PW's way.  That's half a season gone - and after we were bemoaning a poor pre-season due to circumstances beyond our control.

You are right with some of your observations, Mrso, but actually I am playing a neutral hand re Paul Warne because it is only right to give him time. I used to love the passing movements of Rosenior's possession-ball, but kept getting bored with it, and frustrated because it was so easy to counter, and Liam was not for changing. My "who the heck do we bring in?2 question wasn't so much looking for a replacement - it is way too soon for that - it is more who on earth in their right mind would try and jump on this particular merry-go-round? Who would  even want to come here?

38 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

How is it a worry?  He said he had told the players to stop being nice.  Think that 100% applies to Hourinhane and Bird.  If they're offended by that they're in the wrong game.

This is not a dig at anyone, Fleetwood away, Our dressing room was left clean and tidy and all waste put in the bin, I was impressed, Maybe we are to nice ?‍♀️

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

question wasn't so much looking for a replacement - it is way too soon for that - it is more who on earth in their right mind would try and jump on this particular merry-go-round? Who would  even want to come here?

Crowds upto 30k, A stadium and training facilities some Prem clubs would die for, No debt, PW was asked a question by a Sky reporter...why after 20 years at Rotherham did you leave, PW said he spoke to some people who said, DCFC are one of the few clubs that are destined to be in the Premier League it may take 10-20 years but they'll get there...or words to that effect ?

49 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Crowds upto 30k, A stadium and training facilities some Prem clubs would die for, No debt, PW was asked a question by a Sky reporter...why after 20 years at Rotherham did you leave, PW said he spoke to some people who said, DCFC are one of the few clubs that are destined to be in the Premier League it may take 10-20 years but they'll get there...or words to that effect ?

My comments were more along the line of our propensity of changing managers faster than Tories change ministers. What future does that offer? 

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

My comments were more along the line of our propensity of changing managers faster than Tories change ministers. What future does that offer? 

It clearly doesn't bode well for the future, Change personnel and you have to be extremely lucky, But where we are with another year under embargo next season I'd hope we stick with what we have, I've said it before I do not like this division it's poor, The officials stink the football is bad...the only plus for me is there's more 3pm Saturday kick offs...to date 

Managerial qualities

A manager's attributes depend on their management style and team. 

A club manager and an international manager require different skills.

All great managers share certain traits.

Leadership

A manager must have team-leading skills. A manager must choose a leadership style and stick to it.

They can be autocratic, where the boss's word is law, or democratic, where everyone has a say and the manager considers others' ideas.

The manager must lead from the front and equip their players to succeed on the pitch.

Know-how

Best football managers are tactical geniuses. 

They have a main strategy and several backups.

Great managers can adapt their tactical instructions based on the opposition's play style, the match's progress, and what the team needs to do to score or defend a lead.

A bad tactician will run out of ideas, have his team play one-dimensional football, and look like a headless chicken on the touchline shouting instructions.

Talent-spotting

Some club managers must adopt a wheeler-dealer approach to the transfer market due to financial constraints.

Great managers can spot the next superstar. 

They develop the talent into a world-class player.

Great managers know how to use talent, whether it's finding a diamond in a club's youth system or bringing an under-loved player into the international fold.

Confidence

A great manager must believe his players can win no matter what. 

With five minutes left, their team is down 2-0, but giving up won't help.

The most confident managers will inspire their players. 

This builds a team of players who never give up and believe in success.

Great managers have always been confident in their abilities.

Management

The greatest managers in history know how to deal with volatile players, can pick up low-confidence players, and can protect a young wonderkid or new signing.

Being a great people person and able to man-manage can mean the difference between success and failure.

A mismanaged player won't perform well, which can hurt the whole team.

pw vs rosenoir

lr was a coach who stepped up, the results he achieved were not spectacular.

Pw is a manager, who has a track record of promotions from league one, on a very poor transfer budget.

The current team is unlikely to be pw choice, as he played know part in bringing them in.

Some of the players are aged, and might not be as good next season.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is not a dig at anyone, Fleetwood away, Our dressing room was left clean and tidy and all waste put in the bin, I was impressed, Maybe we are to nice ?‍♀️

Maybe we need to be nastier on the pitch but still tidy up afterwards?  No need to take a dump in the dressing room (except at Leeds maybe).

5 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Maybe we need to be nastier on the pitch but still tidy up afterwards?  No need to take a dump in the dressing room (except at Leeds maybe).

We do lack aggression on the pitch. We press and then stand off once we get within 3 yards of the player in possession. There’s no intention to actually tackle. We are then weak on the ball and get pushed off or lose aerial challenges. It’s a serious problem in this squad. Took until Dobbin came on on Tuesday for us to actually press and put a tackle in with speed at the end of it. 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

You can do both. On and off the pitch footballers are often very different people.

It's an easy answer isn't it, just be more aggressive. I'd hoped for a bit more in depth with the 'just run more'...

Edited by RoyMac5

23 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I hope that everyone on this forum leaves a tidy table when they eat out. It takes very little effort and makes a lot of difference to the staff . It's basic good manners and consideration. Likewise leaving a tidy dressing room.

23 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Thought we looked more aggressive today, but then it's easier with Collins up front. Hourihane always a bit on edge! But just as obvious was the game management, we took 'considered' throw-ins from the first few minutes, and controlled the game better in the second half.

On 26/10/2022 at 20:46, duncanjwitham said:

I think his time should be up. I was never a fan of the appointment, I think it was and remains a massive mistake, and the sooner that mistake is rectified, the sooner we can start recovering from it.  He very clearly has no intention of changing anything about his approach, and if this kind of form continues, I don’t see how we will be in any kind of touch with the playoffs to mount a challenge post-January.  If it’s clear we’re not going up this season, I suspect we lose all the good youngsters - why on earth are Knight, Cashin, Bird etc going to stay here when they will get plenty of offers at Championship level or higher.  And you can count on attendances declining if we’re still playing dreadful football in League 1, which is whittling away the big advantage we have over most other clubs in this league.

There are other factors too. If we persist in this style of play, we’re rendering the academy pointless. What’s the point of developing players like Darren Robinson, if they’re never going to fit into the managers style? There’s years of effort gone into developing technical ball-playing footballers that’s entirely wasted. And if you break that path into the first team, you’re damaging the academy in years to come, because having that in place is a key selling point when recruiting youngsters. Again, that’s just trashing another of the big advantages we should have at this level.

It’s not being a whiney baby, the club does not have an unconditional right to my support, it’s a 2-way transaction. If the club is telling me they are actively choosing to play dreadful football, that the club is going to be in a mess for years entirely because of decisions that they have made, then I don’t see why I should bother turning up. If the club is trying to play decent entertaining football, trying to do things right, then I will give them all the time in the world. But under Warne, I just don’t believe that.  I do not believe there is any justification to allowing a man with a track record of getting relegated from the Championship, to trash every facet of the club, in the hope that we might win some games in a couple of years time.

What did you reckon today then?