Radio Derby all in for Warne tonight

Curtains

12 hours ago, i-Ram said:

In interviews he cast some doubt on how injured they might be, and their willingness to play (imo). He said it all in a joshy way, which perhaps is his idea of humour, or motivation, but I don’t think it does anything positive to dig at players in public. Sort them out behind closed doors is my viewpoint.

I’m trying hard to resist any judgement of Warne, albeit yourself, @LeedsCityRam and @angieram have expressed thoughts and sentiment that are likewise lowering my expectations. I’m starting to dislike all this jokey stuff about players, the odd comment fine, just don’t recall the likes of Cox or Smith constantly coming out with such quips to motivate players.

One player though I very much doubt he’ll dig out is Curtis, not just because he epitomises effort and determination, but he’s media savvy. If he makes waves with Davies, I think we would soon have a sense of the mood in the camp.

7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I’m trying hard to resist any judgement of Warne, albeit yourself, @LeedsCityRam and @angieram have expressed thoughts and sentiment that are likewise lowering my expectations. I’m starting to dislike all this jokey stuff about players, the odd comment fine, just don’t recall the likes of Cox or Smith constantly coming out with such quips to motivate players.

One player though I very much doubt he’ll dig out is Curtis, not just because he epitomises effort and determination, but he’s media savvy. If he makes waves with Davies, I think we would soon have a sense of the mood in the camp.

And he's now Derby through and through, as well as an outstanding player. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Most fans understand the difficulties Warne is facing. Perhaps if he appears to be able to compromise his preferred style of play to get the best out of the current squad then he'd be getting more sympathy? But it currently doesn't look that way, lots of players playing in positions they either don't know or don't want to play.

I agree that a back 4 seems the way forward as it stands. But maybe 5 at the back is what Warne is comfortable with?

I guess it all depends on what Clowes thinks is an acceptable final league position? If promotion isn’t a necessity then I think a lot of fans are going to be irked at how we set up. 

Plus on paper our squad is decent but the more I look at it the more I think the plethora of over 30’s are flattering to deceive. Think best we can hope for is a lot of smart recruiting and poaching of Rotherham players in the summer e.g. Barlaser. Then judge him from there.

I think a lot of people are being very presumptuous about Warne, they have preconceived ideas about his playing style and are seeing what they want to see to fit their narrative. Unfortunately this narrative is gaining oxygen due to the inconsistent results and performances which happens with most new managers. 

People are saying he’s a my way or highway manager like Pearson. From everything I’ve seen or read about him he’s about as humble as they come and doesn’t have an ego. 

Here’s a novel idea - how about we give a manager time. 

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think a lot of people are being very presumptuous about Warne, they have preconceived ideas about his playing style and are seeing what they want to see to fit their narrative. Unfortunately this narrative is gaining oxygen due to the inconsistent results and performances which happens with most new managers. 

People are saying he’s a my way or highway manager like Pearson. From everything I’ve seen or read about him he’s about as humble as they come and doesn’t have an ego. 

Here’s a novel idea - how about we give a manager time. 

We haven’t got any choice, he isn’t going anywhere soon regardless of results or performances. I would have liked to have given Liam more time but it wasn’t to be. Hope in time Warne will be a success but might take some time?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We haven’t got any choice, he isn’t going anywhere soon regardless of results or performances. I would have liked to have given Liam more time but it wasn’t to be. Hope in time Warne will be a success but might take some time?

I’m with you on Liam completely. As with all managers who come in I try to see the best in them and give them every chance instead of starting off cynical, and will defend them until they become indefensible, I got to that point pretty quickly with Pearson but I hope we’re a long way from that. 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Chester out for 2 months to go with the rest.  I see the 'they don't know they're athletes but they are' routine is working out as well as I imagined with these blokes 18 months from retirement.

It's quite possible that a fair number of the current squad will be either incapable or unwilling to run themselves into the ground twice a week, if that's what Warne is demanding. In which case players with higher levels of athleticism will need to recruited in January. Not sure how feasible that is going to be though..... 

8 minutes ago, europia said:

It's quite possible that a fair number of the current squad will be either incapable or unwilling to run themselves into the ground twice a week, if that's what Warne is demanding. In which case players with higher levels of athleticism will need to recruited in January. Not sure how feasible that is going to be though..... 

952A908E-F182-4342-9977-D7540DC135EA.gif

I was not a fan of Rosenoir getting let go, would rather he was still here because he would have won a couple more games IMO. Now we've swapped it's clear Warne needs a couple of transfer windows but we have £0 available for fees so he's handicapped immediately.

Here's the thing though, I feel some of these players here are too nice and just came here thinking it would be a nice time getting good pay for L1. Watching the games I feel we get regularly outfought for large periods of games and that is something that will stop Warne achieving anything this season.

We don't know for a fact that we have 0 transfer funds, or that we can't generate some. We do know that the business plan has a certain amount of leeway and the club are in regular communication with the EFL over what we can and can't do.

I mean we might have no scope to make improvements, but would we have risked a new manager coming in and not being able to work with the existing squad if there wasn't?

We can only wait and see.

I'm for continuous improvement (under a manager) myself... PW will take time to put his own style in to play here; it's completely different to what's been happening over the last 2-3 years and completely different to how most of our squad are used to playing. A bit more time playing this way (and a couple of transfer windows to get people in) and we'll know if it's working or not. I imagine if there's personalities in the changing room that PW doesn't like then said personalities won't be here long!

It is looking like we'd be better off at this stage if Rosie had have been made permanent... and yes, the last couple of games haven't been great to say the least, but the Chairman's made his decision. As long as we're in no danger of going down (I never thought I'd hear myself saying that about a Derby team in L1!) then I'd give PW at least another 12 months and see where we are. If we're higher up the league next season than we finish this season, I'd see that as an improvement.

Also, it's very early in the season still. Look at Oxford. They've stuck with Karl Robinson for nearly 5 years and in most of those seasons they've had a similar start to this one. More often than not he has them in or around the play-offs.

Having said all that, watch my emotions get the better of me in the next match thread! 

27 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Here's the thing though, I feel some of these players here are too nice and just came here thinking it would be a nice time getting good pay for L1. Watching the games I feel we get regularly outfought for large periods of games and that is something that will stop Warne achieving anything this season.

Name names then.  Which of the players we've signed are too nice and just coasting through games?

Its very easy to make sweeping generalisations about players, but pretty much every player that we've signed (or at least the senior ones) have a solid history of playing regularly for teams at championship level or higher.  Are we really suggesting the likes of McGoldrick, Chester, Collins, Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, Smith have suddenly decided they can't be bothered anymore?  Many of these players turned down championship clubs to come and play here.

Or is it the youngsters we've got on loan or come through the academy, who have their first real chance to prove themselves in senior football, and have just decided sod-it, they never really wanted to be footballers anyway?

24 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I'm for continuous improvement (under a manager) myself... PW will take time to put his own style in to play here; it's completely different to what's been happening over the last 2-3 years and completely different to how most of our squad are used to playing. A bit more time playing this way (and a couple of transfer windows to get people in) and we'll know if it's working or not. I imagine if there's personalities in the changing room that PW doesn't like then said personalities won't be here long!

It is looking like we'd be better off at this stage if Rosie had have been made permanent... and yes, the last couple of games haven't been great to say the least, but the Chairman's made his decision. As long as we're in no danger of going down (I never thought I'd hear myself saying that about a Derby team in L1!) then I'd give PW at least another 12 months and see where we are. If we're higher up the league next season than we finish this season, I'd see that as an improvement.

Also, it's very early in the season still. Look at Oxford. They've stuck with Karl Robinson for nearly 5 years and in most of those seasons they've had a similar start to this one. More often than not he has them in or around the play-offs.

Having said all that, watch my emotions get the better of me in the next match thread! 

This is very true. Head says patience, but heart takes over when at the games!

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Name names then.  Which of the players we've signed are too nice and just coasting through games?

Its very easy to make sweeping generalisations about players, but pretty much every player that we've signed (or at least the senior ones) have a solid history of playing regularly for teams at championship level or higher.  Are we really suggesting the likes of McGoldrick, Chester, Collins, Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, Smith have suddenly decided they can't be bothered anymore?  Many of these players turned down championship clubs to come and play here.

Or is it the youngsters we've got on loan or come through the academy, who have their first real chance to prove themselves in senior football, and have just decided sod-it, they never really wanted to be footballers anyway?

Bit of an over the top response to be honest, football is a game of fine margins at professional level. Other sides just seem to want it more in my eyes. I could sit here and type out a detailed analytical style post on every player and my game observations but I literally don't have the time or frankly the inclination.

To me a lot of these other teams we play are full of young lads desperate to move up the football ladder, having a few lads who are just happy to still be playing who have been up there elsewhere is probably part of the problem. The young lads have a lot of energy no question in that but can you really say our pressing is done as a cohesive unit? Doesn't appear that way to me.

6 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Bit of an over the top response to be honest, football is a game of fine margins at professional level. Other sides just seem to want it more in my eyes. I could sit here and type out a detailed analytical style post on every player and my game observations but I literally don't have the time or frankly the inclination.

To me a lot of these other teams we play are full of young lads desperate to move up the football ladder, having a few lads who are just happy to still be playing who have been up there elsewhere is probably part of the problem. The young lads have a lot of energy no question in that but can you really say our pressing is done as a cohesive unit? Doesn't appear that way to me.

I don't think it is over the top tbh. You've basically said we're losing games because some of the squad are being lazy and unprofessional. If that were true, it would be easy to name names. And then when pressed on it, you've actually hit on the real reason, which is the lack of structure and organisation in the team.  We aren't pressing as unit, but it's not because players can't be bothered, it's because the team isn't set up properly, players are being used wrongly and so on.  You can't press as a unit if you don't know who to press and when, and you don't trust that the rest of the team know when/who to press either.

This isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, but I get really annoyed when people start accusing players of being lazy and not wanting it enough.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there's a massive tendency in English football to blame it for literally everything. Collins missed a tap in, "didn't want it enough". Davies gave a way a pen, "didn't want it enough". and so on.  It just distracts from any real analysis of what the problem is.

Basically I started this thread because Nick Webster (flag man and nice guy ) was sticking up for Warne and Derby County whilst discussing situation with Radio Derbys Dave Fletcher.

Of course I would agree with him regarding the club recovering from administration turmoil and the quality of players Liam Rosenior was able to sign late on due to EFL restrictions due  to business plan. 

I still think wa are allowed as fans though to discuss team performance manager and tactics like for instance who should play RB and what system Paul employs say against Bristol tomorrow.  

I know Paul and his staff working with the players will be doing this and I for one liked his interview pre Bristol on RamsTV.

End of day it’s all about opinions 

Edited by Curtains
Spelling